The building process of my custom MFC-101 labels

SOAWM

Inspired
Since day one I wanted to label my MFC, but unfortunately I could never wrap my head around how I would layout my presets, IA-switches and scenes. Therefore I always thought it was rather stupid to buy a pre-made label set, as I wasn't sure whether I'd use all of them. The labelmakers on this forum provide excellent quality and design for a more than honest price, but I'm more of a DIY kind of guy (see my homemade pedalboard, patchbay,...)

I'd like to share with you the process of making my own labels. At the moment I'm still designing in photoshop and waiting for some supplies. So the labels are far from finished, so this thread will be updated regularly.

List of materials used/ordered

- Matte Photopaper
- Magnetic paper with self-adhesive side for attaching the labels
- Lamination machine
- Scissors
- Inkjet Printer
- Hobby Knife
- Ridiculous amounts of patience... time will tell whether I have it :p

STEP 1: Designing the labels

First of all I need to admit that I'm absolutely not good in Photoshop, so my designs may not be that fancy as the labels you can buy. The designs aren't final and need further tweaking, so all suggestions are more than welcome.

Here's a picture of some labels I designed and printed out on regular paper. The picture may not be that clear, but I didn't upload a picture from photoshop as I used the layout of existing pedals... And I won't share them without permission! ;)

As you can see I made three labels based on the Eventide pedals (Timefactor, Pitchfactor and Space). I also tried to make a Strymon Timeline like label for another delay. The compressor is based on the yellow Diamond Compressor (I added the diamond). The Chorus is based on the H20 and the auto-wah has a modified picture of a Crybaby. The Phaser, Flanger and Tubescreamer I have build from scratch in Photoshop, but I think it's clear on what pedals they are based. The Preset 1 label has a 6505 and a Bogner Cab on it, as this is my go-to setup in the Axe-Fx.

Once the labels are finished, I will post high quality pictures of the labels!

IMG_0058_zps0661c518.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Objector. Being a DYIer myself......I have already been down this road and others. I found that the magnetic field of the printer paper magnetic sheets was not strong enough to cling well to my MFC. When I would carry my MFC to a gig half of the labels would fall off in the carry bag and they were easy to knock out of position with my clumsy toe tappin'. Not trying to rain on your parade, but wanted to point out the caveats I found for you to consider (if you haven't already), before you go all in with your chips. I found the 3/32" thick magnet sheet/strip material was the minimum thickness to stay put well.

I have homemade labels myself. The toughest part for me was cutting out the freaking circle in the middle just right so that it doesnt look crappy. The magnetism is not very strong, I also used the magnetic printer paper, but with the hole cut out in the middle they shouldnt move much. Looks good! Much better than mine thats for sure!

Hi Objector. Being a DYIer myself......I have already been down this road and others. I found that the magnetic field of the printer paper magnetic sheets was not strong enough to cling well to my MFC. When I would carry my MFC to a gig half of the labels would fall off in the carry bag and they were easy to knock out of position with my clumsy toe tappin'. Not trying to rain on your parade, but wanted to point out the caveats I found for you to consider (if you haven't already), before you go all in with your chips. I found the 3/32" thick magnet sheet/strip material was the minimum thickness to stay put well.

Thanks for the reply RossE! The Magnetic paper I have is 0,85mm thick, so I hope it will be strong enough. It feels like it could, but only time will tell once the sheet has been cut to size. The fact that they go around the footswitch and and have an inlet at for the LED, may make it a little less prone to change position.

Time will tell! ;)

Great job, D! Those look KILLER!!!!

And you are correct- the switch hole and the LED "peninsula" will help keep it in place.

Great job, D! Those look KILLER!!!!

And you are correct- the switch hole and the LED "peninsula" will help keep it in place.

Thanks, S!

Currently I'm figuring out how I'm going to cut the switch hole, as it'll be really difficult to make a nice circle. Any suggestions?

Find a round object the same diameter as the hole then use a utility knife to carefully go around the object. This will work if you are only doing a few. It costs too much to have a custom punch made.

Find a piece of pipe that has the right inner diameter, mount it in a hand drill, and while spinning the pipe make contact with a file to create an "edge"
then finish it up with some fine sandpaper to make it real sharp.

the whole project would cost next to nothing ..

;)

//Kenneth

Last edited:
Another suggestion-

Print a sheet out on cheap paper first and do a sample before you use the magnetic paper. This way you can make sure your dimensions are right and not waste cash. :)

Simple. I used a Compass Cutter, cheap and available at any craft store (or online).

X-Acto Compass Cutter - BLICK art materials

Amazon.com: OLFA-COMPASS CUTTER F/CIRCLES: Patio, Lawn & Garden

One other suggestion I'll make after doing mine- fill the switch hole area in black fully. That way if you're off a little bit on the cut, you still have a nice even black ring.

Just ordered a Compass Cutter after your suggestion! Seems like a very handy and cheap tool. Seem like I made the holes too small in my design... So back to the drawing board!

You can make the labels rock solid (if you don't intend to change IA switches often). Cut the hole so that it's just big enough to fit the switch. One at a time, unscrew the nut and lock washer and put your label on. Then screw them back on. The label won't move.

You can make the labels rock solid (if you don't intend to change IA switches often). Cut the hole so that it's just big enough to fit the switch. One at a time, unscrew the nut and lock washer and put your label on. Then screw them back on. The label won't move.

That's a cool idea! the labels are finished (need to update this thread) and the magnets work pretty damn good!

What I ended up doing was getting matte adhesive paper, rather than magnetic paper itself. Then after printing I just stuck those labels onto a thicker, more substantive magnetic substrate than one would be able to get through an ink jet printer. This way I saved some bucks on an otherwise specialty item and got labels with a pretty nice grip. And then I read this great trick for using the existing nut and washer... D'oh!

-Bryan

What I ended up doing was getting matte adhesive paper, rather than magnetic paper itself. Then after printing I just stuck those labels onto a thicker, more substantive magnetic substrate than one would be able to get through an ink jet printer. This way I saved some bucks on an otherwise specialty item and got labels with a pretty nice grip. And then I read this great trick for using the existing nut and washer... D'oh!

-Bryan

I did the same thing! Printed labels on thick mat paper, put them on thick magnetig sheet with self-adhesive side, cute them to size and laminate them!

Hey Objector, good job so far. I am going to order my axe fx next month. So I am getting a jump on the labels for the mfc. I am fairly good on photoshop as far as design but have yet to figure out how to size them so that they are correct when printed out and not having the unit yet doesn't help. what size are you setting them at in photoshop so they print out correctly. I was going to add a pic of one of the labels but it won't upload and don't know why. If someone can tell me I will show one.

Eager to see the finished product! Just bought axeII and Ground Control. Due to arrive Tuesday and I cannot wait to assemble the love rig with labels!

Back
Top Bottom