The Boys

I get that it's mainly about power, influence and the gullibility of Joe Schmoe, but there's definitely lots of politics in the show... the show creator himself says it, saying it's exploring "what would happen it you combined the worst of celebrity with the worst of politics." The whole thing is a critique on the military industrial complex for goodness sake.

Making fun of racism and Nazism is fun and easy. What makes it potentially divisive is couching right-wing politics under Nazism. The rhetoric of America first and "make America ___ again," raising issues of immigration, the notion of fighting guns with more guns satirized by "more supes to fight supes," etc. -- all these are shown as fodder for Nazism. And if you were passionate about any of these mentioned issues, I can see why it would bother you. The show certainly doesn't do the same with the other side of the political aisle, and maybe it will in season 3.

It's still a well written show and makes plenty light of itself, well enjoyable for the reasons already mentioned.

What makes it potentially divisive is couching right-wing politics under Nazism. (snip) The show certainly doesn't do the same with the other side of the political aisle, and maybe it will in season 3.
They lampoon left- and right-leaning politics pretty equally.

The SJW super is a Nazi. The lesbian super is a narcissist and just as culpable as the main, evil super. And the do-gooder left-winger is a huge plot twist at the end of season 2. No one is spared as long as they're a super.

They lampoon left- and right-leaning politics pretty equally.

The SJW super is a Nazi. The lesbian super is a narcissist and just as culpable as the main, evil super. And the do-gooder left-winger is a huge plot twist at the end of season 2. No one is spared as long as they're a super.
It seems to me the examples you list differ in that they don't really directly criticize left-leaning political ideas or how they're used. "There's evil characters on this side too" is not as lampoon-y as "look at these Joe Schmoes who eat up right-wing policy concerns which are actually being used as a front for Nazism." Maybe it'll change with season 3 cus of that delicious s2 reveal.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that the show is based on the comic, which started in 2006. This was obviously before the Trump and Obama eras. Just keep that in mind when trying to criticize The Boys for its possible political leanings.

It seems to me the examples you list differ in that they don't really directly criticize left-leaning political ideas or how they're used. "There's evil characters on this side too" is not as lampoon-y as "look at these Joe Schmoes who eat up right-wing policy concerns which are actually being used as a front for Nazism." Maybe it'll change with season 3 cus of that delicious s2 reveal.
You're ascribing a political party where none is given in the show. Neuman is never labeled a democrat or a republican -- only as a "congresswoman". They specifically never talk about party names. Any party affiliation, and therefore left or right policy leaning, is a construct of your imagination.

Edit: @yeky83 DM'ed me and asked me to remove this post because I described Neuman "the do-gooder left-winger" which is clearly incorrect. Neuman is never affiliated with a party or political ideology in the show. My bias. But also: y'all are just looking for reasons to be mad. I'm not deleting the post. I don't care about making mistakes; they happen.

It's fiction. Enjoy a story and maybe don't get so wrapped up in all the things it isn't.

Last edited:
Saying The Boys is “political” is analogous the saying Saving Private Ryan (or Band of Brothers, etc) is political because there are Nazis in the storyline. Doesn’t make any sense to label these stories as such.

The US troops portrayed in Saving Private Ryan fought actual Nazis. Newsflash, Nazism is dead. Whatever is left of it is probably dwarfed by the Flat Earth society. The Nazis that people and the media claim to fight are either figments of their imagination or just anyone to the right of them.

The Boys is a great show. In terms of politics, anyone that thinks Nazis should not be portrayed as the bad guys has serious issues.

No one is saying that Nazis aren't bad. It's who gets labeled as Nazis that many people have an issue with. And that is why many, including me, have an issue with woke 'entertainment' and become suspicious when the word Nazi gets used and by whom. I prefer my Nazis to be in WW2 movies and my entertainment to entertain, not preach. Is that too much to ask?

I don't want to make this political, politics is poison. It's just that entertainment has been so much politicized and this year has made things go into overdrive. And not in a good way with a nice tubescreamer.

No one is saying that Nazis aren't bad. It's who gets labeled as Nazis that many people have an issue with. And that is why many, including me, have an issue with woke 'entertainment' and become suspicious when the word Nazi gets used and by whom. I prefer my Nazis to be in WW2 movies and my entertainment to entertain, not preach. Is that too much to ask?
You obviously haven't watched the show. The Nazis are literal Nazis in the show.

The US troops portrayed in Saving Private Ryan fought actual Nazis. Newsflash, Nazism is dead. Whatever is left of it is probably dwarfed by the Flat Earth society. The Nazis that people and the media claim to fight are either figments of their imagination or just anyone to the right of them.

I don't want to make this political, politics is poison. It's just that entertainment has been so much politicized and this year has made things go into overdrive. And not in a good way with a nice tubescreamer.
+1
I started season 2 last night...it’s a good series...

The storyline in The Boys follows Nazis. A main character is a super who is a Nazi who never ages. Watch the show before commenting any further on the show’s political leanings, please.

The Boys is an all-around great show. One of the good ones. Critiques of all sorts of extremism are present. Nationalism, itself takes many forms and parallels are artfully drawn.

If you're a fan of Chess (or not), the "Queen's Gambit" limited series on Netflix was surprisingly good.
Never read the book, but we blew through the series in 3 days. Very entertaining.

Last edited:
The Boys is an all-around great show. One of the good ones. Critiques of all sorts of extremism are present. Nationalism, itself takes many forms and parallels are artfully drawn.

If you're a fan of Chess (or not), the "Queen's Gambit" limited series on Netflix was surprisingly good.
Never read the book, but we blew through the series in 3 days. Very entertaining.

Queen’s Gambit is excellent. I’ve seen the first two episodes so far. Anya Taylor-Joy does a great job portraying Beth.

The post-modern marketing world is influencers and hipsters and blogs and vlogs. Maybe I'm bitter because I've stubbornly stuck to the "make a better mousetrap" philosophy and now I see mediocre products exalted by the impressionable. It's all about whose name is on the wrapper or what the latest YouTube star thinks , not what's inside.

Hi Cliff,

I, for one, am glad you’re building better mousetraps. I am also a builder of better mousetraps in my business, and I immediately recognized the sentiment in your comments. It seems so obvious, doesn’t it, that putting the value into the product is the way to go. How could we stand to make something anything other way than the best way that it possibly can be? Noticing all the BS and marketing, and particularly the success that people achieve using it, is really hard to stomach.

Here’s what I’ve noticed about better-mousetrap-building. I have often assumed that people realize, from the finished product, that the mousetrap is indeed better. But most people don’t simply don’t realize what’s been done to make something great, and either don’t or can’t appreciate it. Perhaps it’s because they’ve become used to BS and marketing, but I think more often than not, it’s because they are so rarely exposed to something made with care and attention and quality, that they don‘t recognize it. It’s an irony that something particularly well-made that is released into a sea of mediocrity can go unnoticed.

I just wanted to say how much I appreciate using your mosetraps, and that I would love to hear a little more about all the hard work that goes into making them, and just what makes them so much better. I’m betting that I’m in good company.

Really enjoyed the first two seasons of the series.

With that said, you guys saying it's not political is almost comical. We all perceive things differently I get that. But do a little research. The developer Kripke himself is on record talking about the political aspects of the show. MeToo & religion, corporate greed and using their money and power to influence congress, white supremacy, minority drug addiction etc etc.. I'm too lazy to find it right now but in one interview he even talks about how halfway through the writing MAGA and Charlottesville influenced him.

Interesting to see what's in store for season three.

"almost comical" - I see what you did there! ;)

I've enjoyed both seasons and have to agree, there's a lot of social commentary going on there. I mean, Homelander is unhinged and abusing his enormous power, and he's called 'homelander' :)

Back
Top Bottom