The Boys

I would put this more in the range of 'Watchman' and '1984' than any particular political bent. It's about resistance and the price that some pay for this. Just watch 'Rogue One' from the Star Wars universe and you get the same idea. We are on the line here, so will proceed carefully.

Very many shows can be interpreted as 'political' (I have mentioned Star Wars...and many more.) We are merely much more sensitive now on viewpoints.

Enjoy the ride. Don't get caught up in 'what it all means'.

On another note...I do have a bit of fetching for Erin (Starlight.) But not in my age group...so Liz Shue still stirs my blood.

R

Aw yeah Starlight is smokin..
I'm only 2 eps deep, tell me, do they leave it open at the end for a 3rd season?

Good writing is pro-Nazi? I honestly can't tell if you're trolling. Seems like odd behaviour for a moderator.
What politics are so blatantly obvious in the show that you're turned off? All the evil is from Nazis. Classic super hero trope.

And don't try and wiggle out of this with a, "Oh! A moderator asked me a question! How dare you!" -- the only odd behavior here is you saying the politics of a work of fiction where the bad guys are Nazis put you off. If you think the show was pro-liberal, you didn't watch the entire second season. The evil power in the show originates from the Nazis. Like most fictional super hero stuff, Nazies are bad, Americans are good. That's the politics of the show.

The overarching theme of the comic book is you can't manufacture superhumans. The Nazis invented Compound V and anyone who takes it, no matter how hard they try, will be corrupted and bad. Only non-superhumans can be truly good. Even the trope-y do gooder politician succumbs to this truism. You see this play out more in Season 2 than in Season 1. The show runs reasonably true to the comic.

Last edited:
So, you're pro-Nazi?

??? No. I'm just burnt on politics and am not inclined to start a series that has been described here as politically leaning. Perhaps this description is off the mark and does not really apply; I don't know as I haven't seen it. I've also just been burned by the seriously shitty ending of Bloodline, so I'm hesitant to invest in anything at the moment. I'm now watching Black Mirror, if only because each episode is standalone.

??? No. I'm just burnt on politics and am not inclined to start a series that has been described here as politically leaning. Perhaps this description is off the mark and does not really apply; I don't know as I haven't seen it. I've also just been burned by the seriously shitty ending of Bloodline, so I'm hesitant to invest in anything at the moment. I'm now watching Black Mirror, if only because each episode is standalone.
It's not. If anyone thinks it is they either missed some key plot points or didn't watch all the way to the end of season 2.

It lampoons anyone who uses Compound V no matter their political leanings.

It's not. If anyone thinks it is they either missed some key plot points or didn't watch all the way to the end of season 2.

It lampoons anyone who uses Compound V no matter their political leanings.

Exactly this. I have no clue what some members are talking about here. There's no politics in it. It's just good old-fashioned good vs bad like any comic. Jeez....

There's no politics. What there is is a witty, insightful look at how all the latest cause du jours are exploited by the marketing departments of large corporations. It's actually brilliant. Perhaps it's too subtle. It's poking fun at how marketing now features so-called "aggrieved groups" in an effort to appeal to the "cause" but it's just the same old Madison Avenue exploitation. "Resistance" has become big business.

Some of us have seen it for years but, as usual, Joe Lunchbox and Sally Housecoat (and Johnny Backpack) are slow on the uptake (and the people in the C suites know it and count on it). When you're young and idealistic you fall for the schtick and actually believe that you're "making a difference" but in reality you're being played. Big Corporations don't feature aggrieved groups in their media because they want to "fight injustice", they do that because it makes them look cool in the eyes of their target demographic. Do you really think Amazon (whose CEO is the richest person on the planet) cares about equality and climate change? No, they care about what you think of them. They just want to make as much money as possible and if that means pretending to care about social causes then that's what they will do.

The post-modern marketing world is influencers and hipsters and blogs and vlogs. Maybe I'm bitter because I've stubbornly stuck to the "make a better mousetrap" philosophy and now I see mediocre products exalted by the impressionable. It's all about whose name is on the wrapper or what the latest YouTube star thinks , not what's inside.

The irony is that Amazon produced the series and they are guilty of the exact marketing tactics that are parodied. Perhaps the suits didn't bother to read the scripts (they typically don't because they're too busy patting each other on the back about the latest stock price).

Last edited:
Saying The Boys is “political” is analogous the saying Saving Private Ryan (or Band of Brothers, etc) is political because there are Nazis in the storyline. Doesn’t make any sense to label these stories as such.

I don't watch much TV so when I do want something that's worth the effort.

The Boys is pretty darn good. The storylines are great and the acting is very good. Some funny lines too.

If you watch it the scene with the Super Baby is awesome/hilarious.

My favorite show in years. Brilliant acting and dark, biting writing throughout. Season 1 is certainly a bit more solid overall, but Season 2 wrapped up nicely, too!

Back
Top Bottom