The Bias Head

I really like what these guys are doing, for practice or when on the road I use Jam-up with my ipad air and the IKblueboard. Great tool for that! However, every time I use it in a live setting, i.e.band practice, I am reminded of how decent it sounds but very much two dimensional and compressed.

It will probably be a good product but so far they dont play in the same field as Fractal.

My thought is that KPA finally have a worthy competition in it's class. Seriously - no flaming whatsoever.

Bias is designed more like Fractal than KPA in terms of methodology. They use user selected component based/physical models and then do a frequency response match rather than a a fully automated model selection and dial in + frequency match ala KPA. It is much more like tone match than profiling. So no idea why you would say this based on that little snippet of film.

If this holds true to the plugin and app it'll fall somewhere between the HD500 and Helix quality wise, I would guess. Would not expect it to compare to AF2 or KPA based on my experience/opinion of Bias Desktop.

Looks like they have some of the amp deep edit knobs on the front panel which is somewhat cool.

Could be a great product if they price it right. Looks like it might have a speaker built in ala the Yamaha THR.

Since they won't have to create the algorithms anymore, I guess it will hit in a lower price point. Possibly in POD territory.

But I agree with BC:
If it's ~$500 it could be a big hit. If it $1000 (or more) it will hit with a thud.

Anyways, great times for budget musicians with so many new options coming up.

I was looking into running Bias on a windows tablet as a portable backup rig. But the specs for the plugin seem too high to be able to get it to run on the tablets. So I'd end up needing a laptop instead. Which is all kinds of bulky. Personally they should be going the AX8/PodHD style format for this not a head IMHO.

I wonder how it compares to the Amplifire?

With a slogan "AMP MATCH CRANKED UP" it's definitely competing with Kemper. It even went for a higher quality toaster look.

418573.jpg

The thing is... match EQ was cool in 2013. Move on already.

I guess you dont know how exspensive it's gonna be in Europe then :p
Coming from germany, yes, I know. ;)

It's a comfortable thing to know that my Mark I is still sounding great, so I don't really have to care about it anyway. :p

But I'm excited for all the upcoming hooligan fights next year between fractalites, kemperists, line6dancers and the biased. It will be the ultimate e-peen battle royale.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom