The best way to use headphones

rolidoc

Inspired
maybe a silly question but what is the best way to connect headphones for best results. Direct in the headphone input of the AXE III or via USB and PC or other gear to play to backingtracks?

Sorry about my bad English. What I want to know is if you can get a better sound with the built-in headphone output or with a connected headphone amplifier via USB or e.g. Output 3 with the possibility to change the sound via an equalizer. How do you do it if you want to play to a backingtrack?

Sorry about my bad English. What I want to know is if you can get a better sound with the built-in headphone output or with a connected headphone amplifier via USB or e.g. Output 3 with the possibility to change the sound via an equalizer. How do you do it if you want to play to a backingtrack?
oh i understand now.

the headphone output of the Axe-Fx is designed for headphones, so it sounds good.

if you want to change the sound with an EQ and use Output 3, you can do that too. that is a question of "what do you want" not "what sounds better."

with USB connecting your Axe-Fx and computer, the computer can send audio to Output 1, which is what the Headphone jack uses.

get yourself a good set of cans and plug straight in to the headphone out. This is how I play primarily. Ive been through everything from $99 headphones up to $2k headphones and for a few years have been rotating the Blue Mofi in and out of use. The mofi's were pretty good and have a good rep on here but just recently added a set of Shure 1540's and they seem to be the best value for dollar Ive had. Absolutely better sounding headphone than most Ive used and easily kept up with the $1600 Focal Clear I just got rid of

get yourself a good set of cans and plug straight in to the headphone out. This is how I play primarily. Ive been through everything from $99 headphones up to $2k headphones and for a few years have been rotating the Blue Mofi in and out of use. The mofi's were pretty good and have a good rep on here but just recently added a set of Shure 1540's and they seem to be the best value for dollar Ive had. Absolutely better sounding headphone than most Ive used and easily kept up with the $1600 Focal Clear I just got rid of
Thanks, I ´ve never used headphones with the AXE II+, it doesn´t work well to me. But now I ´ve tried the AXE III headphone out and backingtracks via USB. This is realy good, no need for EQ. Now I´m ready to try the Shure 1540 or maybe a beyerdynamic 770

I always use the headphone output...I have a pair of Bose QC35's I like, which do the trick...

What do you guys think of the cheaper headphones amp's like the Mackie HM-4 or the Behringer HA400? Would they be ok to use with the Axe? Or should I stick with the Headpod? I have a set of Beyerdynamic DT770 and because they are the 80ohms model I think they might need a headphone amp to drive them a bit.

What do you guys think of the cheaper headphones amp's like the Mackie HM-4 or the Behringer HA400? Would they be ok to use with the Axe? Or should I stick with the Headpod? I have a set of Beyerdynamic DT770 and because they are the 80ohms model I think they might need a headphone amp to drive them a bit.
Have you tried the Beyers yet thru the III’s jack, I find it has as much output as many headphone amps.......

Have you tried the Beyers yet thru the III’s jack, I find it has as much output as many headphone amps.......

I have, I just find it a little harsh sounding. Once I get comfortable though I do get used to the sound. I just thought using a headphone amp through one of the Axe's out's might improve my headphone's sound for a late night jam.

I should probably mention there's nothing wrong with my axe's sound using the main outputs through my studio monitors or my matrix and cab setup. I have that dialled in where I like it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom