The best way to set up home studio?

MiroslavMurin

Hello,

I know that similar topics have been discussed here, but all that I read were related to specific products and interfaces. I am a relatively new user of AXE FX and I use it just to play the guitar and I have no ambition to record anything other than guitar. So far I have used AXE FX 2 as shown in the picture.

CyJIe2i.png
Guitar - LTD m 200fm (EMG ZW set pickups)
Fractal - AXE FX2 MKII
Laptop - ASUS (WINDOWS)
Monitors - YAMAHA HS7

In this case, I need to turn on the FRACTAL to listen the music from my laptop on the monitors, which is the main reason I‘m writing this thread. I'd like to extend my gear with an interface or a monitor controller that would allow me to listen to the songs on my studio monitors without turning on the AXE FX. I was thinking about three options to do this.

1. Connecting the AXE FX to external audio interface (for example Focusrite Scarlett 2i4) using analog inputs / outputs. In this case, I need a pair of XLR cables that would lead the AXE balanced XLR outputs to both Focusrite inputs?
    The outputs of the Focusrite would lead with a pair of TRS cables to the monitor inputs. Is there any difference between the XLR and TRS cables in sound quality? Theoretically, they should be the same.

2. Connecting the AXE FX to external audio interface (for example Focusrite Scarlett 6i6) with SPDIF. In this case, I should connect the AXE SPDIF OUT to SPDIF IN on Focusrite using one cinch cable that would transmit the stereo signal in one cable?

By now I am satisfied with the output quality of AXE FX with my actual setup, and am I afraid that adding an interface to the signal chain will degrade my output quality due to further AD/DA conversion?
By the way, is there any conversion when connecting AXE FX with SPDIF cable (2nd case) to interface, or the Focusrite digital input is directly routed to output without signal processing?

3. Connecting AXE FX, laptop and monitors using monitor controller (for example Behringer monitor2USB). This device has an interface (USB) for playing music from PC directly to monitors and also I could choose which input I wanna use, whitch solves my problem. Would this controler affect the sound quality ?

Please advise me which method would be best and would not affect the sound of AXE FX. Which method of connection do you use? Feel free to recommend me other interfaces/devices (up to 200 €) or other ways to connect. You can also suggest me cables (up to 30-40 €) for your recommended connection method.
Thank you!

I mean, there's nothing wrong with turning on the Axe to listen to music. I do it all the time (with both the II and the III).

To your questions, don't use the XLR input of the Focusrite. Get an XLR to TRS. Going through the XLR input on the Focusrite routes the signal through the mic preamp, and you wouldn't want that. Getting a unit with SPDIF would work around unnecessary conversions.

So you could do,
  • Axe -> XLR to TRS -> Focusrite input -> monitors
  • Axe -> SPDIF -> Focusrite -> monitors
  • Or just keep your setup as it; that's exactly what my setup looks like
I can't speak to your third bullet, unfortunately.

I had exactly the same issue. As Brian says I don't think there is any problem using the Axe FX as your main audio interface but it did bug me that the family (kids!) were using the computer a lot so I added a focusrite 6i6. I also wanted to have a mic hooked up (which I could have done using the axe fx fx loop but I already used the stereo loop for my H9)

I go Axe FX digital out into the 6i6 (mainly because I like the idea of fewer D/A conversions in the chain) and don't think I have heard any deterioration in sound quality since adding the focusrite.

For the little extra cost, if it were me I would go for the 6i6 a) for the digital inputs and b) having the extra inputs is a good thing. I have no experience of the Behringer unit so can't really advise on that option

In terms of sound as I say I don't notice any deterioration, the focusrite control software is very good. The spdif output and your software outputs (from the DAW or whatever) are easy to mix. Just remember to set the focusrite to 48Khz sample rate. I also like the fact that it saves the mix internally and so can run in standalone mode.

From the focusite (the 6i6 at least) you can use balanced outputs into your monitors, you just need TRS to XLR cables. I'm pretty sure that with a decent cable these will sound identical to xlr-xlr cables.

I use my Axe-FX 2 as a USB interface into my computer. However, I use the built in Line output on my computer for monitoring through my speakers. When I'm not playing, I can leave the Axe-FX off and still monitor audio, like listen to music, watch videos, etc.

I too only record guitars (and bass), at the moment. Perhaps in the future, I will record vocals but I will not need to change my setup described above or need an additional interface/preamp.

I use my Axe-FX 2 as a USB interface into my computer. However, I use the built in Line output on my computer for monitoring through my speakers. When I'm not playing, I can leave the Axe-FX off and still monitor audio, like listen to music, watch videos, etc.

I too only record guitars (and bass), at the moment. Perhaps in the future, I will record vocals but I will not need to change my setup described above or need an additional interface/preamp.

What I do as well. Axe to xlr in on my Adams A7x’s. Mac stereo line out to splitter to rca in. Works great.

Thank you all for your answers!

Getting a unit with SPDIF would work around unnecessary conversions.
if it were me I would go for the 6i6 a) for the digital inputs and b) having the extra inputs is a good thing.

It seems that I will buy an interface with digital I/O (maybe the Focusrite 6i6 will be the best choice between devices under 200€ for a Win user) You have convicted me and I also liked this option the most. Bigtim, what kind of SPDIF cable do you use for this setup ? I mean what brand should I focus on (between 30-40€) ?

I use the built in Line output on my computer for monitoring through my speakers. When I'm not playing, I can leave the Axe-FX off and still monitor audio, like listen to music, watch videos, etc
Axe to xlr in on my Adams A7x’s. Mac stereo line out to splitter to rca in.

Sounds like you guys are using the inputs on your monitors simultaneously. The manual for the Yamahas says that I can use only one input at the same time. Even if the signal passes just through one, it can cause potential distortion and physical damage to the output circuitry.

AxeMan and fractalz, thanks for suggestions but the Apogee and Presonus are out of my budget. And of course listening to music through the interface (not just the input switching) is also a big benefit for me. I was just curious about your thoughts whether it pays off.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with turning on the Axe to listen to music. I do it all the time (with both the II and the III).

To your questions, don't use the XLR input of the Focusrite. Get an XLR to TRS. Going through the XLR input on the Focusrite routes the signal through the mic preamp, and you wouldn't want that. Getting a unit with SPDIF would work around unnecessary conversions.

So you could do,
  • Axe -> XLR to TRS -> Focusrite input -> monitors
  • Axe -> SPDIF -> Focusrite -> monitors
  • Or just keep your setup as it; that's exactly what my setup looks like
I can't speak to your third bullet, unfortunately.

What's the difference between standard outputs and SPDIF / AES Outputs?

Sounds like you guys are using the inputs on your monitors simultaneously. The manual for the Yamahas says that I can use only one input at the same time. Even if the signal passes just through one, it can cause potential distortion and physical damage to the output circuitry.

If by simultaneous, you mean the speakers connected to both Axe-FX and computer? No. My speakers are connected to my computer only. I set the input to my DAW (Logic Pro) coming from the Axe-FX usb only. The output of my DAW I have set to the built in Line Out from my computer (Mac Pro). As mentioned earlier, I don't need to have the Axe-FX powered on to be able to hear anything from my computer.

In the picture of your original post if you moved the cables between your Axe-FX and speakers to go between your computer and speakers that would mimic signal flow of my setup. There are no simultaneous in/out anywhere. Works great!

Bigtim, what kind of SPDIF cable do you use for this setup ? I mean what brand should I focus on (between 30-40€) ?

I use quite a cheap IXOS coax cable. This one gets good reviews at roughly the price you mentioned:

https://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/product/7307?utm_source=AffiliateWindow

My speakers are connected to my computer only. I set the input to my DAW (Logic Pro) coming from the Axe-FX usb only. The output of my DAW I have set to the built in Line Out from my computer (Mac Pro). As mentioned earlier, I don't need to have the Axe-FX powered on to be able to hear anything from my computer.

Do you get any latency doing it this way? For monitoring purposes, I would imagine that the advantage (accepted there is a cost) of a usb audio interface would be near zero latency?

Personally, I don't think I'd like that method as presumably you need the DAW running to hear your axe fx? Again one of the selling points for me of the focusrite is that it holds the mix internally so I don't need my PC on at all to hear the axe fx.

Do you get any latency doing it this way? For monitoring purposes, I would imagine that the advantage (accepted there is a cost) of a usb audio interface would be near zero latency?

Personally, I don't think I'd like that method as presumably you need the DAW running to hear your axe fx? Again one of the selling points for me of the focusrite is that it holds the mix internally so I don't need my PC on at all to hear the axe fx.

I don't have any issues with latency using this setup. I have considered a separate interface to use with the Axe-FX, however, I just haven't needed it.

Yes, I need my DAW to monitor my guitar thru the Axe-FX, but I haven't had any issue there either, and I'm able to run Axe-Edit simulataneously along side my DAW without issues.

I don't have any issues with latency using this setup. I have considered a separate interface to use with the Axe-FX, however, I just haven't needed it.

Apple magic vs PC? :) I wonder if there is any difference in the quality of the D/A conversion of a PC/MAC vs a 'budget' audio interface. Probably not noticeable until you get to high end interfaces.

but I haven't had any issue there either, and I'm able to run Axe-Edit simulataneously along side my DAW without issues.

That's good. One minor issue I do get with a combination of focusrite, reaper and axe edit running (on PC) is very occasionally the audio drops out. A reboot of the focusrite solves it must be some windows driver nonsense going on on my machine.

Even Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 with analog in is fine, the pre-amp is not active for line in feeds. People always sweat about the perfect sound in the studio and work on digital inputs but if you have good cables and do not record inside room full of noisy electrical engines it's just fine. And get a power regulator in case squirrels are eating your incoming power line and AC is fluctuating up and down.

Not wanting to jump in this but I am joining the Axe Family this week and managed to score a Axe II XL+ which is arriving very soon.
Looking for a bit of advice

I too have a very simple home setup. Could someone please give me some advice on incorporating the Axe in to this.

LAPTOP ( Studio 4 DAW)>>PreSonus USB 96>>??>>Axe>>Headphones

I would purely like to use headphone monitoring as I am yet to find speakers than are right for my ears! - bit of a snob like that!

Not wanting to jump in this but I am joining the Axe Family this week and managed to score a Axe II XL+ which is arriving very soon.
Looking for a bit of advice

I too have a very simple home setup. Could someone please give me some advice on incorporating the Axe in to this.

LAPTOP ( Studio 4 DAW)>>PreSonus USB 96>>??>>Axe>>Headphones

I would purely like to use headphone monitoring as I am yet to find speakers than are right for my ears! - bit of a snob like that!

If it were me, I would ditch the PreSonus and use the Axe as the audio interface and plug the headphones into the axe to monitor.

For me the PreSonus would add nothing for your setup now and can only detract from the quality of the sound. I'm kind of assuming if you just want to listen to the laptop you could plug your headphones to it directly?

Yes this is more if you want to extend the home studio with mic pre-amps, phantom 48V feeds and so on. The FocusRite, even cheap ones, are really excellent.

If it were me, I would ditch the PreSonus and use the Axe as the audio interface and plug the headphones into the axe to monitor.

For me the PreSonus would add nothing for your setup now and can only detract from the quality of the sound. I'm kind of assuming if you just want to listen to the laptop you could plug your headphones to it directly?

Totally makes sense, I'll probably still want to use the Presonus for Mic's and stuff like that. but dnt want to complicate things.

The Axe is arriving today! - much excitement!

Back
Top Bottom