The best bass sound I hear, I need help please !!!

JH-2

Inspired
Hi Fractal forum,

I need help from an expert, I'm going crazy to find this bass sound. I want to get it but it is impossible

The theory is very simple, but getting it is something else.

They are 2 very separate sounds, a clean line with very deep bass and a slightly strange but powerful compression, in the other side is the sharp with a bit of distortion.

Anybody can help me? I have the same bass and Axe FX II XL+.

Bass can be heard only in 1:15:

Bass can be heard only in 3:45:

If someone has knowledge to do so, I would appreciate your help, thanks.

Last edited:
Same thing Billy Sheehan does and Dug Pinnick. You distort only the high end, and low end is clean. Can do it with a dual amp or there are pedals to do it all in one (sheehan and dug both have them). Depending on what fractal product you have, can be done in different ways.

Look into a multi-band distortion. You can do this on Axe as well by splitting the signal, applying a low-pass on one side and running it clean, and a high-pass into a Drive or high gain Amp block.

I'm not confident that's a crossover. It's probably a powerful (compressed) clean with tons of low end (or a DI) and a separate, phase aligned amps, one of which adds that dirty sheen.

(Yes, research shows he uses an Avalon tube DI with a Darkglass, plus several amps including a tube head with a lot of bite and crunch.)

As a more general thing if you check the nailthemix/URM Academy YouTube Channel there's a bunch of clips of various mixers and producers showing their methods to getting a modern rock/metal bass tone, usually in a very similar way of splitting the track into various frequency ranges and processing them differently. Low end usually kept clean, some amount of distortion on mid-high end as well as maybe an amp sim/cabinet and the blending of the two usually has similar qualities to the bass shown in the first video. Might be a good place to get some inspiration.

I have been working for several weeks with dr.bonkers and I have managed what I was looking for.

He is an expert in the sound and handling of the Axe Fx, I highly recommend it. He has been able to interpret my wishes perfectly and I have been very comfortable working with him, he is an incredible guy. Thank you very much my friend.

If anyone wants to work with the here I leave your profile: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/members/dr-bonkers.33225/

Not divulge anything specific , but it is a dual path signal chain.

But the amp side is nothing more complex than any of the presets in my cab packs .

JH is an awesome dude to work with.

If anyone else needs help with a tone, I will put something together on my site soon so that I can guide people through the process that works best for achieving tone goals efficiently.

We should have separate forum sections for commercial and non-commercial content.

Don’t get me wrong: I’m happy for JH-2, and value the contributions of the Dr.

80% of that tone is a bolt neck bubinga warwick bass. You're hearing the sound of wood. You need a warwick.

4135682281_0304b40722.jpg

3:45 on the video, same clickety clickety

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom