1. We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

The best bass sound I hear, I need help please !!!

Discussion in 'Bass & Other Instruments' started by JH-2, Nov 6, 2018.

1. #1 JH-2, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    JH-2

JH-2
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Hi Fractal forum,

I need help from an expert, I'm going crazy to find this bass sound. I want to get it but it is impossible

The theory is very simple, but getting it is something else.

They are 2 very separate sounds, a clean line with very deep bass and a slightly strange but powerful compression, in the other side is the sharp with a bit of distortion.

Anybody can help me? I have the same bass and Axe FX II XL+.

Bass can be heard only in 1:15:

Bass can be heard only in 3:45:

If someone has knowledge to do so, I would appreciate your help, thanks.

2. dpeterson

dpeterson
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Same thing Billy Sheehan does and Dug Pinnick. You distort only the high end, and low end is clean. Can do it with a dual amp or there are pedals to do it all in one (sheehan and dug both have them). Depending on what fractal product you have, can be done in different ways.

3. negativefx

negativefx
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Look into a multi-band distortion. You can do this on Axe as well by splitting the signal, applying a low-pass on one side and running it clean, and a high-pass into a Drive or high gain Amp block.

4. unix-guy

unix-guy
    Expand Collapse
    Axe-Master

Crossover block... I think that's how Sheehan does it.

5. Admin M@

Admin M@
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Fractal Audio Systems Moderator

I'm not confident that's a crossover. It's probably a powerful (compressed) clean with tons of low end (or a DI) and a separate, phase aligned amps, one of which adds that dirty sheen.

(Yes, research shows he uses an Avalon tube DI with a Darkglass, plus several amps including a tube head with a lot of bite and crunch.)

6. waxcalifornia

waxcalifornia
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

Hopefully this starts on the bass direct part for the live tone.

7. Lurker

Lurker
    Expand Collapse
    New here

As a more general thing if you check the nailthemix/URM Academy YouTube Channel there's a bunch of clips of various mixers and producers showing their methods to getting a modern rock/metal bass tone, usually in a very similar way of splitting the track into various frequency ranges and processing them differently. Low end usually kept clean, some amount of distortion on mid-high end as well as maybe an amp sim/cabinet and the blending of the two usually has similar qualities to the bass shown in the first video. Might be a good place to get some inspiration.

8. MoJiggity

MoJiggity
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

To my ears (and I am listening on laptop speakers at the moment) that actually isn't a super-driven bass tone... the key to getting that type of growl with omnipresent bass is using both pickups with a healthy dose of compression (multiband if you can swing it) with a boost around 1k, medium Q. The Darkglass and a compressor block should get you there in short order.