The best advice for setting up your guitar on the internet

Do you wind your strings differently while you're doing this? I wouldn't expect to be able to reuse them if they have only a short bit around the post, like I usually do.
You can try keeping them in place with a capo on the first fret.

Different things work on different guitars and vintage Fender tuners with split shaft can have the strings removed and replaced without damage. Just loosen them until you can lift off the coiled string without disturbing it and replace it the same way.

Different things work on different guitars and vintage Fender tuners with split shaft can have the strings removed and replaced without damage. Just loosen them until you can lift off the coiled string without disturbing it and replace it the same way.

I’ve done this like 3 times with the same set of strings recently. I decided to give one of those solder-less Obsidian harnesses a shot in a 50’s Classic Strat. I had great luck with a Mad Hatter solder-less kit in my JEM, but the Obsidian was a horrible experience. Took me 3.5 hours to get the wires into the ports and they still wouldn’t stay in 100%. I had to keep taking it apart and pushing wires back in. Then the middle tone knob was completely dead and if I tightened the nut all the way on top of the pick guard, the output would cut out. I had spacers between the pot and pickguard as recommended (and they didn’t include the spacers) but it still just shit out. I’m returning it and getting another Mad Hatter system.

I could almost say that's just mean ;)
Troy's stuff is for advanced guitarists trying to play as fast as humanly possible, not for a novice trying to get started.

I'm afraid I don't have a better reference for beginners though.
Troy Grady is the only guitar learning subscription I have (and have ever had). It's just awesome. It might not be for absolute beginners, but even if someone have just played a year or two, there is definitely stuff to learn there.

I always intonate and tune strings in general to the attack pitch of the string, not the lingering note. I dont know where I read/heard or how I came about it but it always made sense to me since, as others have said the pitch is sharper at the attack then after and its served me well so far.

I also make sure to take my hand off the tuner after adjusting as I've noticed it will fall flat once you let the machine head go. Its not just cheapy tuners either, it does it on my Sperzel/Ratio/Gotoh tuners.

Hmmm, interesting idea, thanks.
Seems sketchy when you take the neck off, but maybe not.

This is how your tech is doing it when you arent looking.

I have two guitars i really enjoy with heel adjustment, and its literally my only complaint about either (jazzmaster and strat).

I always intonate and tune strings in general to the attack pitch of the string, not the lingering note. I dont know where I read/heard or how I came about it but it always made sense to me since, as others have said the pitch is sharper at the attack then after and its served me well so far.

I also make sure to take my hand off the tuner after adjusting as I've noticed it will fall flat once you let the machine head go. Its not just cheapy tuners either, it does it on my Sperzel/Ratio/Gotoh tuners.
This is only if you tune down to pitch because of the worm gear . To get this out of the equation all you need to do is always drop below pitch and make the final tuning turn up. This will make even the worst tuners stable.

This is only if you tune down to pitch because of the worm gear . To get this out of the equation all you need to do is always drop below pitch and make the final tuning turn up. This will make even the worst tuners stable.

Right, I forgot that 👍🏻

I've always tuned up to pitch, and notes are still sharper right after you pick than when they're sustaining. You can see it on any tuner, including the Axe. I thought this was common knowledge.

Am I misunderstanding what you mean?

Yes I mean never tune down because the string will pull the tuner flat until the worm gear rests on the cog inside the machine head.
How sharp your picking makes the string go is a separate issue.

Yeah Andy is saying you should tune up in to the note to keep the tension on the gear. In fact when I was in the military the procedure for tank turret aiming is “break and lay” where you turn off target slightly and then back on as it removes the slop from the gearing and keeps the barrel more stable when firing. I often times think back to that when tuning.

Edit: I guess it would be more accurate to say keep the torque on the gear, not tension. 🥴

Yes I mean never tune down because the string will pull the tuner flat until the worm gear rests on the cog inside the machine head.
How sharp your picking makes the string go is a separate issue.
Got it, you were replying to his second paragraph, not the first.

Back
Top Bottom