The Bad Thing Tone!?

RockerAlex

Inspired
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elXwWxd9Ld8

I haven't took the time to fully appreciate the tone on this album until today and whoa ... it's blown me away a bit. Any tips on how to get into this ballpark? My cab choice/mixes never seem to get me quite as "djenty" as this ... what I have hear lacks the "meat" this has (excluding Bass, I know, see below :roll) As far as I know this whole album was done on an Axe FX 2.

Inb4: the tone comprises of bass guitar, kick drum and guitar mixed - yes I know! I'm looking for help with the guitar tone ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elXwWxd9Ld8

I haven't took the time to fully appreciate the tone on this album until today and whoa ... it's blown me away a bit. Any tips on how to get into this ballpark? My cab choice/mixes never seem to get me quite as "djenty" as this ... what I have hear lacks the "meat" this has (excluding Bass, I know, see below :roll) As far as I know this whole album was done on an Axe FX 2.

Inb4: the tone comprises of bass guitar, kick drum and guitar mixed - yes I know! I'm looking for help with the guitar tone ;)

actually you can listen the tone in misha's recording tips video. in the near end of the video he solo the guitar track so you can hear it for about 3 seconds lol :D i got pretty close with friedman amp and engl cab (as i remember) but just like you it lacks the ''meat'' and i dont know how to gain that.. maybe by increasing the depth or proximity i dont know

actually you can listen the tone in misha's recording tips video. in the near end of the video he solo the guitar track so you can hear it for about 3 seconds lol :D i got pretty close with friedman amp and engl cab (as i remember) but just like you it lacks the ''meat'' and i dont know how to gain that.. maybe by increasing the depth or proximity i dont know

Oh wow, thanks for the insight! I'll have to go look at that to hear a more accurate representation.

Yeah, I was hoping some advanced guys around here could share some tips.

Oh wow, thanks for the insight! I'll have to go look at that to hear a more accurate representation.

Yeah, I was hoping some advanced guys around here could share some tips.

first things that i noticed when i hear the solo track:
1- its more bassy than i think (is it ''then'' or ''than'' ? sometimes im confused with that word...)
2- it sound compressed (maybe output compressor in amp block)

Last edited:
2 tracks panned hard and a octaver guitar in the middle just to beef up things on guitar ... Was the reponso from Nolly on some ASKFM question IIRC

The thing that's gotten me the closest is the attack overdrive from pro tone, pretty expensive but worth it if this is a tone you really want.

i think (is it ''then'' or ''than'' ? sometimes im confused with that word...)

than in your sentence.

Then - indicates time, sequence, as in "I will take a shower, then go on a date"

Than - indicates a comparison being made between various choices or options: "I'd rather have a hamburger, than a hot dog."

The thing that's gotten me the closest is the attack overdrive from pro tone, pretty expensive but worth it if this is a tone you really want.

Surely this is something we can recreate inside the Axe? Which all the options available buying a pedal shouldn't be the "fix."

I mean another track centered with an octaver set 1 Octave down ... Only a little in the mix but definitely audible

interesting i will try that thanks for the info :)

than in your sentence.

Then - indicates time, sequence, as in "I will take a shower, then go on a date"

Than - indicates a comparison being made between various choices or options: "I'd rather have a hamburger, than a hot dog."

ah thats how it is :) thanks :) :) :)

Is there a way to get that same octaver effect using the Axe Fx, or do you have to actually use an octaver pedal to get the effect Misha gets in "The Bad Thing"?

Apparently there are no ts808s or protones on this. They used custom it's and nollys filter pedal in front of the amps.

Also, really high end guitars and Bareknuckle Juggs. <--important :)

Apparently there are no ts808s or protones on this. They used custom it's and nollys filter pedal in front of the amps.

Also, really high end guitars and Bareknuckle Juggs. <--important :)

Again, I refuse to believe buying a pedal is NEEDED to get this tone ... The Axe is extremely versatile at this point. If all that pedal does is clean boost and filtering, we already have this, no?

Pickups I'll agree with, I'm running EMG Actives which are the furthest thing away from Bareknuckle Juggs but I'm sure there must be a way to get close to this tone?

Last edited:
You can just use a pitch block in parallel, panned center, octave down mode at 100% mix. Then filter/EQ to taste.

You can just use a pitch block in parallel, panned center, octave down mode at 100% mix. Then filter/EQ to taste.

I was talking more about the tone itself rather than the recording techniques used. Just looking for tips on how to get close to this Bass/Mid/Treble/IR wise, example presets would be nice too!

I think what you'll find with the guitar tone itself is that it's going to be very focused and mid-heavy. The majority of the fatty meat of the tone is definitely coming from the bass itself.

What I would try is putting a filter in front of the amp and cutting the lows until you get rid of the tubbiness, leaving ample room for the bass to fill in the bottom end. Somewhere between 100-200. I'm pretty sure those guys love 5150 tones and FAS Modern. Then it's about dialing the gain where you want it and using an IR that has a good amount of mids. I'm pretty sure they made IRs from a custom cab mic'ing job done in studio, so you'll likely not get exactly whta they had going on, but you can get close.

I was talking more about the tone itself rather than the recording techniques used. Just looking for tips on how to get close to this Bass/Mid/Treble/IR wise, example presets would be nice too!

Pick hard , eq bump at +\- 1400 hz ... you can add as Zwiebelchen told you a Pitch block in parallel line in Axe layout set to 1 oct down (it is not for this purpose a recording trick ) 100% mix and level at -20 db then start increasing slòightly until you "feel a little of the octaver BUT before it leads the Tone . BTW what Speculum said is GOLD ... you ear BASS + guitar ...You need to cut LOWS .... in cab block or PEQ at the end is your choice ... putting down the Bass in the Amp tone control is'nt enough ... AND cut the Highs too Something between 5000 and 8500 hz ...BUT you need to do this choices at MONSTER VOLUME ;)

Pick hard , eq bump at +\- 1400 hz ... you can add as Zwiebelchen told you a Pitch block in parallel line in Axe layout set to 1 oct down (it is not for this purpose a recording trick ) 100% mix and level at -20 db then start increasing slòightly until you "feel a little of the octaver BUT before it leads the Tone . BTW what Speculum said is GOLD ... you ear BASS + guitar ...You need to cut LOWS .... in cab block or PEQ at the end is your choice ... putting down the Bass in the Amp tone control is'nt enough ... AND cut the Highs too Something between 5000 and 8500 hz ...BUT you need to do this choices at MONSTER VOLUME ;)

Thanks for the tips!

Like I was saying though, the clip I posted has BASS MUTED. The tone/IR is naturally beefy, it seems. I'm talking about the "recording tips" video as opposed to the album track.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom