The Axe-FX has ruined me . . .

Disconnector

Inspired
So I went and bought a highly regarded practice amp for my library space since it's two floors away from my Axe. I end up working in my library so I need something up there to strum on between interminable Zoom calls. I don't need anything loud or super high end - just something that doesn't suck that I can tolerate for practice.

I brought it home, plugged it in, strummed a few chords and sat there staring at the little thing. Where is the chewiness? The sustain? The fat burning gain that sounds like a JCM800 that just did a line of coke off of a hookers back? Where is the fat delay and wide reverb? Where is the TONE?!?

I fiddled with it, downloaded presets, noodled with the reverb/delay. I screwed around with it for about 2 hours. Then I sighed and put the damn thing back into the box to return to Guitar Center.

Now I have to get a FM3 and a pair of monitors for up here. The freaking Axe is just too good . . . my ears won't settle for less anymore. I'm ruined for anything less.

Thanks Fractal - you guys are REALLY hard on my wallet. ;)

My god, for the very first time in my life as a keyboard player, I can make an somewhat informed comment about an AMP.

I got a THR30II mainly because – frankly – I thought it would make a great true-stereo portable Bluetooth music player. Anything else was a bonus.

But once I started using the built-in wireless with my new Strandberg, I was knocked out … I’ve been having a blast with the little thing.

I’d be very surprised if Disconnector gave up on a THR … it’s no Fractal, but it’s a smashing little box. I’m a tough customer, and I was truly surprised.

I feel this, especially with headphones.

I’ve tried several modelers, from the Valvetronix, the bean POD, Kemper toaster, and FM3. Only the latter two could I stand through headphones for more than 30m. My ear seems sensitive to aliasing, unfortunately.

This is no fair comparison ($10s of dollars vs $1000s) but I was without a Fractal for a few days and worked with the only thing I had: my iPad.

I used my Bias, GE Labs, THU through an interface and same PA speaker as the Fractal and it made me appreciate it so much more.

It was a Katana 50 MkII. Not my deal for sure!

I have a THR and it's ok . . . the 3D widening stereo effect is pretty cool.

Last edited:
It was a Katana 50 MkII. Not my deal for sure!

I have a THR and it's ok . . . the 3D widening stereo effect is pretty cool.
Not my thing either, but when I used mine a few years ago, I made some decent recordings with it
It was the 100w head with the little speaker in it haha

Back
Top Bottom