The Axe FX could be 30% shorter

Personally, I hope the III is physically larger. My primary audience consists of people with no musical backgrounds, so good looking and physically large equipment (minds out of the gutter please) goes a long way with them, particularly if flashing lights are involved.

Well, you can always put a huge real mic'ed amp in front, and hide the axe behind it... :D
In my case, I wish the axe was as small as possible. So, if it was a short 1U unit, that would be even better!

Last edited by a moderator:
I did small for three years with my bass rig, and I had one problem after another with the high-powered, micro-sized class-D amps. I know the Axe isn't powered, but those issues (which I believe were all heat dispensation related) scared me away from anything overly compact.

I'm a physically large person, so that skews my perspective as well. I would like to have an extra inch between each of the switches on an MFC.

I have to admit that I do place a Marshall 4x12 and head on stage (when space permits) just for show when I am using my Axe direct.

I had a spare 1U space left over in my rack, so I installed a 2" x 17" x 14" lightweight plastic tank filled with helium into it. By my calculations, it made the whole rig about 30 pounds lighter*.

* OK, I might have messed up the conversion from cubic inches to cubic feet, but still... :D

A shorter unit will fit in a shorter case, and that will save a lot of weith.

The digitech 2120 and the 2101 had part of the PSU mounted in the side of the unit, maybe axe FX II can borrow that in the future to save some inches.

795e1001.JPG

Personally, I hope the III is physically larger. My primary audience consists of people with no musical backgrounds, so good looking and physically large equipment (minds out of the gutter please) goes a long way with them, particularly if flashing lights are involved.

Sorry, but that is a nonsensical reason to make a product larger than it actually needs to be.

This is speculative...and IMO a little 'I have way too much time on my hands' to stay here.

If this is intended for 'Wish List', I'll move it there, otherwise it's going to the Lounge where I believe it should be.

R

A shorter unit will fit in a shorter case, and that will save a lot of weith.

The digitech 2120 and the 2101 had part of the PSU mounted in the side of the unit, maybe axe FX II can borrow that in the future to save some inches.

795e1001.JPG
The 2120 had a smaller PC board, which is why they could do that in the first place. Also, that's an analog power supply. It can live closer to the PC board without causing excessive noise. And the specs for the Axe require it to be 12 dB quieter than the 2120.

This is speculative...and IMO a little 'I have way too much time on my hands' to stay here.

If this is intended for 'Wish List', I'll move it there, otherwise it's going to the Lounge where I believe it should be.

R
It's not really a proposition for the future Axe FX version, even though it would be nice.
This thread was intended just to talk about the ability to mod existing axe fx models by their owners and the pros and cons of doing so.

Back
Top Bottom