The Axe FX could be 30% shorter

Hi there.
I touched this in another thread, but it was out of topic. So I'll carry on here.
This is the inside of the AXE FX 2:
IMG_1503_Sm.JPG

As you can see, there is plenty of unused space inside, which contributes to useless weight of the unit.
Is it a good idea to move the PSU to another place, ant then cut 30% off of the chassis (Or make a new one)?
I don't believe this would lead to heat problems, but I may be wrong.
Some time ago, I saw that one person has made a custom chassis for his axe FX and made it shorter and lighter, but he added a bigger fan, which I don't think is necessary. He said he had absolutely no issues with his customization.

Side note, the Axe FX ultra is even worse! 40%.
Axe-FXguts.jpg

I touched this very same point back in 2014, but i didnt get as much responses.

You'll have to give arguments, mate.

Well it's a completely bogus discussion. The design is not going to change until AFX III or whatever and you would have to be an idiot to cut up your box just because the free air inside offends you in some pseudo-intellectual manner.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

My guess is the extra space inside is for noise reduction, not for thermal reasons. Switching power supplies like the one inside the Axe generate a lot of noise that can get induced into analog circuitry. The amount of noise induced reduces with increasing distance. If you're going to rehouse the Axe into a shorter chassis I would suggest mounting the power supply externally.

Well it's a completely bogus discussion. The design is not going to change until AFX III or whatever
I am not asking the devs to change the design on the current version of the product for everyone. That's would be idiotic.
I am asking whether I'd have thermal or noise problems if I did it myself, only for myself. So far, my conclusion is - If I kept the PSU on the Right side of the case, I should be fine in both aspects.
According to that one guy who actually did this mod (Short case, PSU on the top lid on the right), he didn't see a difference in noise floor at all.

and you would have to be an idiot to cut up your box just because the free air inside offends you in some pseudo-intellectual manner
It doesn't offend me in a pseudo-intellectual manner.
I just want my rig to be as portable as possible. And If I can adjust it without losing functionality, why not... It's not like I have warranty for the axe FX anyway... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the short cases. They sit nice on top of most cabinets. Years ago, when I had an Ax2 2x12 I ripped the guts out and put them in a short case with a Sennheiser wireless and a Furman AR1800. Perfect for a tone sculpting cover band, at the time. Got 8 years and 1900 gigs out of it. Most equipment now is shorter than before. Technology does that. I trust Cliff though. If he thinks the depth is needed then it's fine with me. (But I would still like it shorter for convenience if possible)

Why are we so focussed on size. It's the inside that matters no?

Btw. I noticed on the leading Formula 1 car from Mercedes there is a useless space between the 2 rear wings.
I better call Mercedes and tell them to change that. I have a much better idea with that car then they do.

My guess is that FAS people have really big hands, so they need extra space when mounting the parts. Or it could be a place for a beer holder from some original design.

Now seriously, I think it's only about the standard rack measures, otherwise we would have another device looking like a toaster. I'm with you, there's nothing wrong with checking out if there is some reason against optimizing it yourself.

I would think that the advanced designers at Fractal Audio considered smallest size, when designing the flagship product of 21st century for guitarists.

...According to that one guy who actually did this mod (Short case, PSU on the top lid on the right), he didn't see a difference in noise floor at all...

I've never been able to see a difference in noise performance in audio either: Its something that's heard. If there was an audio test and data could be displayed as a graph of its noise performance, it should be posted.

The a priori notion that there's no difference is a hypothesis. Next comes testing which doesn't exempt even the exalted status of being "that one guy". Testing is conducted in advance of forming an opinion, and this opinion should be logically derived from complete empirical evidence presented as data for verification. An opinion formed in advance of a series of scientifically conducted and repeatable tests targeting the salient characteristics doesn't constitute a basis for a valid opinion.

I guess if one doesn't constantly need the Axe FX for playing guitar through; that idle time could be used for cutting it down with the likely concomitant increase in noise, reduction of cooling efficiency etc. (hypothesis example) I understand that there is a popular culture of nothing is as good as it should be and getting after it with a sawsall for improvements can temporarily inflate an ego's sense of empowerment. And true, there are some places where mods can be very helpful: such as swapping out guitar pickups. But this doesn't logically infer that works for everything. (A=B, does not mean C=D is true).

I am reminded of the Mr. Bean skit where he cuts the legs off his trousers in order to get them into the suitcase, then discovers he has a pair of shorts. And Fractal Audio has already provided the shorts: Trimmed down and squeezed into an attractive foot pedal called the AX8: I recommend.

Last edited:
I've never been able to see a difference in noise performance in audio either: Its something that's heard.
You are just picking on words....

If there was an audio test and data could be displayed as a graph of its noise performance, it should be posted.
There would probably be a measurable difference in the noise floor that can be seen in a graph, but as you said yourself: It should be heard, not seen. And it was not heard by that guy.

Personally, I hope the III is physically larger. My primary audience consists of people with no musical backgrounds, so good looking and physically large equipment (minds out of the gutter please) goes a long way with them, particularly if flashing lights are involved.

Back
Top Bottom