The Axe-Fx 3 works only at 48Khz

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just use the analog out - would be nice to have selectable rates but you can't have everything.

Thanks
Pauly

No but ranting and accusing as the OP did is stupid and counter-productive.

This is also an RTFM moment. Nothing to brag about.

Last edited:
But it's now obvious that you did not understand anything about the studio work, about what a modern guitarist / music producer needs and about the future of music production in general.
Oh thanks you for these kind words but I'm glad you got it all figured out!

Yes higher sample rate does matter even on guitars. I do most of my sessions at 96k now in ProTools. Call me crazy but I even do analog summing with an API console in my studio. The OP does point out some strange decisions made by Fractal Audio. It must be ok to point that out without being called an idiot. If you make units with digital I/o there are two things needed. The ability to sync to external clock and switching sample rate from minimum 44.1 to 96k..I run my Axe FX 2 with analog out into my API so it’s not a huge problem for me. But still a proper digital connection would be nice on a new product.

I for one say AGREED axe fx should come with a klon centaur bundled and I should be able to record a tuba through a mic directly into it but I record at demo tape sample/bit rate so where is my support huh?

I for one say not fair! Cliff shafting the cellar ska movement for too long!

16000 khz support when

The OP does have a point, in spite of the petulant way it was expressed.

I rarely disagree with Cliff, but the decision to use a fixed sample rate is something I would have advised against. I believe the community here skews towards live performing guitarists, for whom this isn’t an important issue, but in the studio it can be a significant matter. When working on a collaborative studio project, the choice of the project sample rate often isn’t up to the guitarist - you often must use a sample rate dictated by someone else, and, for a variety of reasons, it may not be 48 kHz

Of course there are workarounds, such as using another output instead of USB or using a conversion device, but these workarounds can be inconvenient compared to simply changing the output sample rate. The fact is competitors like Helix and Headrush have selectable output sample rates because that is a useful feature.

IMHO Fractal Audio is a victim of their own success here. The AxeFXIII is a wonder of I/O flexibility and the product page even touts it as “The center of your music workstation”. But without a selectable sample rate, IMHO it falls just a hair short of fulfilling that potential.

GlennO seems to understand what i mean, thank you.

I know my way of expressing these issue is not really friendly.
But anyway there are several other thread that talk about that and anyone seems to get Fractal Audio attention.

Just to be little more precise, i don't think that guys at Fractal Audio are stupid neither I said that.
In my post I only refer to the decision of doing a fixed sample rate at 48KHz as a bad choice (ok i said even stupid...sorry for that).
It's obvious that guys at Fractal Audio are really brilliant guys, they created a piece of equipment that changed the industry.

I love the AXE FX and I'm proud to own an AXE FX2 the only problem always bothered me was the fixed sample rate, so it can be frustrating knowing that the new AXE FX 3 marketed as “The center of your music workstation” already has this absurd limitation, while other products which costs less than half the price have selectable sample rate.

It's obvious that i can use analog out, but USB connection has surely greater benefit such having less latency (or none) than going out D/A and back in an A/D for two times, if you are working on processing a signal summed in parallel with the dry it could be a real problem.
In every case why I had to buy a converter to convert a digital signal in an analog one and then send it to the AXE FX which it's a digital device which will reconvert it in digital and then back in audio and than reconvert it in digital to record it? It's none sense, a digital device should have the ease of use of being connected digitally and be able to process digital signal without having a fixed sample rate.

Again for the sake of clarity: I think that guys at Fractal Audio are super intelligent guy, they own my total esteem AXE FX is a great piece of gear and i love it. I only think that the choice of insisting on this limitation is a bad one for people like me who work much in the studio and production environments, and i think many people are in my same condition.
So please don't reply saying "these stupid guys are make billions of dollars out of this business" and things like that, it's obvious they are doing it and they totally deserve it.

I know many of you maybe are only guitar guys and are not interested in detail like this one, but i think that AXE FX3 could be really more than only a "guitar amp", it could really be "the center of your music workstation" if they remove this sample rate limitation.

Anyway thank you all.

You know, that's the problem in today's world..... nobody talks no more....

Everything is some angry rant :rolleyes:

Call me old fashioned but I'd probably just hit up the other producers I work frequently with and be like:

"Hey guys, there's this INCREDIBLE piece of gear I just got that does all these wonderful things (insert links showing what it can do) and it's gonna really step up our tracks and make everything sound like sex!! The only caveat is that we gotta have everything set to 48k, is that cool?"

To which the other guys be like:

"48k? Dude that's totally weird, but no probs, we can do that....we ARE producers after all!"

At which point you thank them, buy some beers, and send a link showing all the advantages of using 48k, and be the pioneers of the revolution....

But instead we choose cussin up the creators of said device on an internet forum.....

Yeah, I agree with Cliff....the quality of everything is going down for real.....that includes conversations, people, etc etc.....

Yes higher sample rate does matter even on guitars. I do most of my sessions at 96k now in ProTools. Call me crazy but I even do analog summing with an API console in my studio. The OP does point out some strange decisions made by Fractal Audio. It must be ok to point that out without being called an idiot. If you make units with digital I/o there are two things needed. The ability to sync to external clock and switching sample rate from minimum 44.1 to 96k..I run my Axe FX 2 with analog out into my API so it’s not a huge problem for me. But still a proper digital connection would be nice on a new product.

oh yeah fixed sample sucks for Pro Tools easily.

I for one say AGREED axe fx should come with a klon centaur bundled and I should be able to record a tuba through a mic directly into it but I record at demo tape sample/bit rate so where is my support huh?

I for one say not fair! Cliff shafting the cellar ska movement for too long!

16000 khz support when
I dunno if it’s a god idea to reply but anyways here we go..If you thing sample rate is only about frequency responce your sadly misstaken. An amp mic’d up will sound better at 96k that 48k and it’s easy to hear. Even if the speaker isn’t putting out much info over say 7.5k.

I dunno if it’s a god idea to reply but anyways here we go..If you thing sample rate is only about frequency responce your sadly misstaken. An amp mic’d up will sound better at 96k that 48k and it’s easy to hear. Even if the speaker isn’t putting out much info over say 7.5k.

nah don't worry
it wasn't a response to you I was 75% done with the jokey post before you posted yours.

You know, that's the problem in today's world..... nobody talks no more....

Everything is some angry rant :rolleyes:

Call me old fashioned but I'd probably just hit up the other producers I work frequently with and be like:

"Hey guys, there's this INCREDIBLE piece of gear I just got that does all these wonderful things (insert links showing what it can do) and it's gonna really step up our tracks and make everything sound like sex!! The only caveat is that we gotta have everything set to 48k, is that cool?"

To which the other guys be like:

"48k? Dude that's totally weird, but no probs, we can do that....we ARE producers after all!"

At which point you thank them, buy some beers, and send a link showing all the advantages of using 48k, and be the pioneers of the revolution....

But instead we choose cussin up the creators of said device on an internet forum.....

Yeah, I agree with Cliff....the quality of everything is going down for real.....that includes conversations, people, etc etc.....

So come on...i think you didn't get the point...

You guys at fractal audio did an amazing job creating the AXE FX 3, it's an amazing piece of equipment with amazing capability and versatility of sounds.

I think it's not so angry, they know i love their product i'm only a little frustrated from this limitiation that seems they cannot overcome.

48K it's better quality obviously but when you are working you need to be fast and sometimes someone else choose the sample rate, and it's obvious that fractal audio can't make the entire audio industry conform to their 48Khz.

Just to be clear my point is not about quality it is about ease of use, i don't give a fuck if it's 44.100 or 109214934390Khz. if i'm working on a project someone else did i need to open it and start using AXE FX on it as it is. I don't even want to know at what sample rate the project is set.

No but ranting and accusing as the OP did is stupid and counter-productive.

As you didn't specify that you were talking about the OP's demeanor, it appeared you were referring to the sampling rate issue itself.

This is also an RTFM moment. Nothing to brag about.

Reading the manual doesn't negate a demand for selectable sample rates.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom