• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

The Axe-Fx 3 works only at 48Khz

Status
Not open for further replies.

leon1991

New here
Best answers
Settle all. Even if the initial post was not...diplomatic...he DID ask recently with help in his situation. Can we focus on that?

Please?
It will be really nice to find a workaround cause many people seems to agree with me:

Probably not the politest way to contribute sth. to a forum but to be honest, having the Axe working with 44,1kHz would make things here in the studio much easier for me.
I only need 48kHz for recording for filmmusic and having the possibility to go diectly into the DAW without having to waste two inputs on my Interface and having to convert, would give me more inputs and reason for buying more cool mike pres:) - and isn´t that what we all want?
Maybe it´s still worth considering for the Axe IV?

At the price point of the Axe FX lll it should be seen as an professional studio unit. As I pointed out earlier for high end studio units with digital I/O the ability to sync to external wordclock....At minimum it should be able to sync to external clock and be able to switch between 44.1 and 48khz. I pointed out it’s normal to work in 96k or higher.

I often see on this forum that if you disagree with some of the decisions made by Fractal you get smashed...Yes Fractal Audio makes good products, but not all solutions are what they should be.
I find myself reluctant to agree with OP because of the fervor with which he states the point, but I also can appreciate the intensity of his frustration, and I'm glad to see it expressed honestly. I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum from Henry Robinett. My bandmates have potato computers to record with, and we share our project ideas by sending the Cubase projects around and adding to them. Their backwards rigs can't work very well above 44.1, but it works. When I asked them to switch to 48k because "AxeFx," my band mate said,"Wait, your $2500 state of the art guitar processor can't operate in 44.1k? Well that's F'ing stupid."

And that's why I applaud OP for stating what I've heard non-Fractalites say reflexively, in response to this limitation. While inarticulate and perhaps immature, it accurately and starkly represents how some people feel about this issue.

Yes, I know that I can use the analog outputs with another soundcard, but Fractal advertises the USB features as one of the selling points of the product, and it is Limited. Explaining to users that they should just stop complaining and use a work around seems pedantic to me. I love using the USB functionality of the AxeFx 3, and if I could convince the rest of the world to run in 48, I would. But I can't, so I don't get to use the feature. And whether there are reasons for it, or workarounds, or I really like this company, I still feel the same way about this problem. Laaaame. And I complain because I hope that others will as well, and that Fractal will address this in future product releases.

To the people that argue that Fractal is a successful company, and therefore is already "doing it right,": please stop. This argument has no intrinsic value, does not further the conversation in any productive way, and seems like a fanboy battlecry. If you think that an entity's financial success means that they automatically know best and don't make mistakes or have lessons to learn, then I have a bridge to sell you.

I agree completely with this “troll”. It’s frustrating and I can’t see it as anything other than an oversight. I know. It’s been explained to me - the complicated math and various effects. I don’t know man. Everyone else does it. I record EVERYTHING at 96k or greater. So I record the III analog. No biggie really, except for the convenience and possibly superior reamping functionality of USB. I join the rant. I’ve said it before. This is MY ONLY problem with the Fractal stuff. I’ve owned the Ultra, the II, IIXL. I now own the AX8 and III. I’m a devout Fractal dude. But I also own, run and operate a pretty advanced high end-ish recording studio. NOBODY who runs a high-end studio records or mixes/masters less than 96/88.2k that I know of. And it’s ALWAYS a yawner that needs explanation. Like what is this “prosumer” product doing in a high end studio? It ONLY DOES 48k? Who does that any more?

Sorry guys.
Didn't read the thread at all.
But I agree that the 48khz limitation, is a strong limitation. Which is weird to have in a unit that otherwise hasn't got that easy to reach limitations...

And even more if you look back to previews pages of this thread.
Thank you guys for joining the "rant", maybe fractal will start considering also our needs.

leon1991

New here
Best answers
There is a professional solution here
The problem are those nonsense 700$.
I mean there's a software solution or near priceless solution for this situation?

I've got a project from a client set at 44.1 with guitar DIs recorded in it, I want to reamp those DIs with AXE FX3.
There is a way to do that in the digital domain without going back to analog?
How could i do that?

Last edited:

MSS

Veteran
Best answers
No, he isn't. Words have meaning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

A troll is somebody that says inflammatory things intended to provoke and get a rise out of people. A troll is not somebody that disagrees with you or says something stupid. OP said up front that he had a rant and expressed his appreciation for the other positive aspects of the product, and even admits that he might have wasted 30 minutes of his life. Even though I vehemently disagree with what he has to say his post sounds sincere, if hyperbolic and one-dimensional. That is not a troll. The infamous Romeo Rose was a troll because he willfully disregarded what people said and drew absurd conclusions that were obviously designed to garner the ire of the average forum poster... big difference.

That being said:

Who cares? Hook it up via XLR and go back to making music. Every studio I've ever been to has run my Axe-Fx (all two generations of it; I have yet to upgrade to the III) through an outboard pre or the desk, just as they would a real guitar amp (which the product is designed to emulate). It all ends up as a sine wave eventually, after all...
EDIT: Maybe not an “obvious troll”.

Last edited:

leon1991

New here
Best answers
It will be nice if someone could answer this question:

Is it possible Fractal can update via firmware like Kemper did?
Since i'm considering buying an AXE FX3 it will also be nice to know if a selectable sample rate can be implemented by Fractal Audio via Firmware update or the hardware is inadequate to support other sample rate than 48Hkz.

Thanks

Rick

Fractal Fanatic
Best answers
I’ve been following this thread since it started, and came to the conclusions below:

1. I originally assumed it a troll thread from the title. Turns out it wasn’t, and the OP apologized for complicating the intended question by poorly wording the issue due to frustration. Agreed.

2. The OP is far from the first person to voice frustration with the limitation.

3. The limitation of sample rate has been explained by the designer. It is apparent that the sample rate could be variable, and another forumite posted some options of circuitry that might be included. If this technology were included with the operating quality demanded by Mr Chase, it would up the price of the Axe Fx significantly. This also has been covered elsewhere.

4. The single most constant knock I personally hear from persons considering purchasing the Axe Fx is price. “Are you kidding? For that much money I could buy a (insert amp they’ve never played but is popular on whatever forum they frequent here).” Adding to the price adds to the number of people not likely to buy in order to learn how short sighted the above cost question really is. Also covered elsewhere.

5. The Axe Fx III is advertised as the center of your audio workstation. And for most users, it can be. But not for all, and I don’t think anyone is arguing that.

6. I am adding to a pages-long post in order to restate what has already been restated multiple times elsewhere, and I should stop.

7. I rarely stop when I should.

8. My opinion is that the Axe Fx is unmatched in what it does, and how much ground it covers. I can’t find a plausible reason Mr Chase would have failed to include higher (or other) sampling rates if he could have at the price point, without compromising something more vital. I accept that at face value. For some, the prioritizing of functions used to make that decision is unacceptable. I accept that too.

9. Time to move along.

Last edited:

Shaw

Inspired
Best answers

leon1991

New here
Best answers
Could someone answer this and stop focusing on the rant for a little bit? Thanks

Since i'm considering buying an AXE FX3 it will also be nice to know if a selectable sample rate can be implemented by Fractal Audio via Firmware update or the hardware is inadequate to support other sample rate than 48Hkz.
Kemper did from a Firmware update.

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
Best answers
Could someone answer this and stop focusing on the rant for a little bit? Thanks

Lesson to be learned here, no?

As I originally said, your arguments would of been much better perceived without the ranting profantity, calling the designer/company clueless etc.

If you desired to have a serious discussion then present your questions/concerns in a professional manner and people will respond accordingly.

Likewise, when people do respond with a suggestion, saying comments are useless et al., does not really motivate others to want to take their time to help you. It makes many people just want to add you to their “ignore” list.

Jim Roseberry

Regular
Best answers
Haven't read thru the entire thread... so this may have already been mentioned
If you have an audio interface that can re-sample (on-the-fly) its S/PDIF or AES digital input, this is a moot point.
You can set your audio interface to the desired sample-rate... and it'll re-sample the Axe-FX III to match.

BTW, This "locked" sample-rate issue is something that affects many different musical devices.
  • Yamaha Montage is locked at 44.1k
  • Axe-FX is locked at 48k
  • UA OX Amp Top Box is locked at 44.1k
If using a device with locked sample-rate is imperative to your work (and you can't deal with being locked at that sample-rate), the most practical/effective solution is to use an audio interface that can re-sample its digital input.

Capt Nasty

Inspired
Best answers

Since tone does not matter but is a tool to be used...

I think it is pretty fucking stupid for someone to show up on a product forum hurling profanities, being argumentative and condescending and expecting a productive conversation. Then trying to pull out a full heat reversal like they are some kind of victim? Not buying it.

You set the tone. You reap what you sow.

leon1991

New here
Best answers
Since tone does not matter but is a tool to be used...

I think it is pretty fucking stupid for someone to show up on a product forum hurling profanities, being argumentative and condescending and expecting a productive conversation. Then trying to pull out a full heat reversal like they are some kind of victim? Not buying it.

You set the tone. You reap what you sow.
No victimism, just trying to shift the attention to a good question that none seems to care about.
And originally was not a question of mine.

People seems to care too much about higher sample rate, my original posts (rant) is not about sound quality is about ease of use and few get this point, it's ok to have this limit of 48Khz and nit higher sample rate than that but why not 44.1?
So i feel this comment about "1874239854875Khz will costs too much to be implemented" are really useless, because they are just out of context. Apologize if you felt to much anger out of it.

leon1991

New here
Best answers
If you have an audio interface that can re-sample (on-the-fly) its S/PDIF or AES digital input, this is a moot point.
You can set your audio interface to the desired sample-rate... and it'll re-sample the Axe-FX III to match.

BTW, This "locked" sample-rate issue is something that affects many different musical devices.
If using a device with locked sample-rate is imperative to your work (and you can't deal with being locked at that sample-rate), the most practical/effective solution is to use an audio interface that can re-sample its digital input.
Thank you Jim, your answer is gold.
Can you tell me how can i practically do that?

Hooligan

Inspired
Best answers

From what I could glean from information posted earlier in this thread, it seems that it may be technically possible to add this feature into the firmware, but it would require a complete reworking or all the IR’s and is therefore extremely unlikely.

This is just my own interpretation and takeaway, so I may be mistaken.

Intheband

Inspired
Best answers
I’m guessing this would be a hardware issue and not easily retrofitted. Would it be something Fractal would be willing to do after market? It’s not a big deal for me, but obviously a strong enough demand for it.

leon1991

New here
Best answers
There is an answer to how to do that (resample) here
Jim told a different thing, it seems you don't need to spend 700$ dollar in a useless hardware SRC if you have the right audio interface.
So if anyone know something about how to practically do what Jim said it will be really helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom