The Axe-Fx 3 works only at 48Khz

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree completely with this “troll”. It’s frustrating and I can’t see it as anything other than an oversight. I know. It’s been explained to me - the complicated math and various effects. I don’t know man. Everyone else does it. I record EVERYTHING at 96k or greater. So I record the III analog. No biggie really, except for the convenience and possibly superior reamping functionality of USB. I join the rant. I’ve said it before. This is MY ONLY problem with the Fractal stuff. I’ve owned the Ultra, the II, IIXL. I now own the AX8 and III. I’m a devout Fractal dude. But I also own, run and operate a pretty advanced high end-ish recording studio. NOBODY who runs a high-end studio records or mixes/masters less than 96/88.2k that I know of. And it’s ALWAYS a yawner that needs explanation. Like what is this “prosumer” product doing in a high end studio? It ONLY DOES 48k? Who does that any more?

Sorry guys.

I agree completely with this “troll”. It’s frustrating and I can’t see it as anything other than an oversight. I know. It’s been explained to me - the complicated math and various effects. I don’t know man. Everyone else does it. I record EVERYTHING at 96k or greater. So I record the III analog. No biggie really, except for the convenience and possibly superior reamping functionality of USB. I join the rant. I’ve said it before. This is MY ONLY problem with the Fractal stuff. I’ve owned the Ultra, the II, IIXL. I now own the AX8 and III. I’m a devout Fractal dude. But I also own, run and operate a pretty advanced high end-ish recording studio. NOBODY who runs a high-end studio records or mixes/masters less than 96/88.2k that I know of. And it’s ALWAYS a yawner that needs explanation. Like what is this “prosumer” product doing in a high end studio? It ONLY DOES 48k? Who does that any more?

Sorry guys.

SEfuoJA.png

Ranten: Dutch; talk nonsense; rave
rant (v): English, late 16th century; behave boisterously
rant (n): English, late 16th century; boisterous, empty declamation; fierce or high-sounding language without much meaning or dignity of thought; bombast;

*Source: Etymology Dictionary; Douglas Harper

I find myself reluctant to agree with OP because of the fervor with which he states the point, but I also can appreciate the intensity of his frustration, and I'm glad to see it expressed honestly. I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum from Henry Robinett. My bandmates have potato computers to record with, and we share our project ideas by sending the Cubase projects around and adding to them. Their backwards rigs can't work very well above 44.1, but it works. When I asked them to switch to 48k because "AxeFx," my band mate said,"Wait, your $2500 state of the art guitar processor can't operate in 44.1k? Well that's F'ing stupid."

And that's why I applaud OP for stating what I've heard non-Fractalites say reflexively, in response to this limitation. While inarticulate and perhaps immature, it accurately and starkly represents how some people feel about this issue.

Yes, I know that I can use the analog outputs with another soundcard, but Fractal advertises the USB features as one of the selling points of the product, and it is Limited. Explaining to users that they should just stop complaining and use a work around seems pedantic to me. I love using the USB functionality of the AxeFx 3, and if I could convince the rest of the world to run in 48, I would. But I can't, so I don't get to use the feature. And whether there are reasons for it, or workarounds, or I really like this company, I still feel the same way about this problem. Laaaame. And I complain because I hope that others will as well, and that Fractal will address this in future product releases.

To the people that argue that Fractal is a successful company, and therefore is already "doing it right,": please stop. This argument has no intrinsic value, does not further the conversation in any productive way, and seems like a fanboy battlecry. If you think that an entity's financial success means that they automatically know best and don't make mistakes or have lessons to learn, then I have a bridge to sell you.

Sorry guys.

I doubt that there is a CPU able to handle the processing power that the Axe-FX III would require to work at 96/88.2k. And if they were, can you imagine the extra cost? So, better use external converters or work with the guitar in analog mode.

Reactions: jon
At the price point of the Axe FX lll it should be seen as an professional studio unit. As I pointed out earlier for high end studio units with digital I/O the ability to sync to external wordclock. Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think the unit are able too. I know the Axe FX II has to be master. That meandering the Axe FX needs to be the master clock unit in the studio. Most of us running professional studios have better units for this. The Axe should sync to external clock not the other way around. At minimum it should be able to sync to external clock and be able to switch between 44.1 and 48khz. I pointed out it’s normal to work in 96k or higher.

I often see on this forum that if you disagree with some of the decisions made by Fractal you get smashed.. I pointed out in another post that I didn’t like that that Axe FX III dropped the compebility with the MFC-101 III. It has the XLR connection to use the faslink..The only reason for that is to market and sell a new foot controller. I saw a lot of guys trying to tell me why they had to drop the MFC-101 III. But it’s all about sales. Actually I do not like the new design of the foot controller at all and I pointed out that it looked like a Line6 unit. If I one day decide to buy an Axe Fx III I will use a different fot controller. Probably an RJM. Mainly because the new controller does not have enough IA switches. Yes Fractal Audio makes good products, but not all solutions are what they should be.

Probably not the politest way to contribute sth. to a forum but to be honest, having the Axe working with 44,1kHz would make things here in the studio much easier for me.
I only need 48kHz for recording for filmmusic and having the possibility to go diectly into the DAW without having to waste two inputs on my Interface and having to convert, would give me more inputs and reason for buying more cool mike pres:) - and isn´t that what we all want?
Maybe it´s still worth considering for the Axe IV?

At the price point of the Axe FX lll it should be seen as an professional studio unit. As I pointed out earlier for high end studio units with digital I/O the ability to sync to external wordclock. Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think the unit are able too. I know the Axe FX II has to be master. That meandering the Axe FX needs to be the master clock unit in the studio. Most of us running professional studios have better units for this. The Axe should sync to external clock not the other way around. At minimum it should be able to sync to external clock and be able to switch between 44.1 and 48khz. I pointed out it’s normal to work in 96k or higher.

I often see on this forum that if you disagree with some of the decisions made by Fractal you get smashed.. I pointed out in another post that I didn’t like that that Axe FX III dropped the compebility with the MFC-101 III. It has the XLR connection to use the faslink..The only reason for that is to market and sell a new foot controller. I saw a lot of guys trying to tell me why they had to drop the MFC-101 III. But it’s all about sales. Actually I do not like the new design of the foot controller at all and I pointed out that it looked like a Line6 unit. If I one day decide to buy an Axe Fx III I will use a different fot controller. Probably an RJM. Mainly because the new controller does not have enough IA switches. Yes Fractal Audio makes good products, but not all solutions are what they should be.
The III can be both master and slave. Same for the II.

COROLLARY:

It would be great to have multiple sample rates at the Axe-FX. I have also complained about the reduced number of preset slots, and other users have complained about different features that they miss. But all these features come at an extra cost.

The important point is: How much would the Axe-FX III cost if it were satisfying all needs?

FINAL SOLUTION:

If you cannot survive without multiple sample rates, get a sample-rate converter. There are several available on the market.

In the meantime, those who can live with a fixed sample rate will be very grateful for not having to pay extra $$$ for that feature.

Sonifex RB-SC1 Sample Rate Converter $612 USD
rb-sc1_600px.jpg

http://www.sonifex.co.uk/redbox/rbsc1_ld.shtml

Assemblage D2D-1 Sample-Rate Converter $699 USD
assemblage-31-dac-inside-chassis.jpg

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/revequip/assemblage_d2d1.htm
https://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_3/assemblage-31-dac-and-d2d1-sample-rate-converter-7-2001.html

Last edited:
Didn't read the thread at all.
But I agree that the 48khz limitation, is a strong limitation. Which is weird to have in a unit that otherwise hasn't got that easy to reach limitations...

With something like Reaper you'd open the project and reamp. The 44.1 tracks would be resampled to 48k and sent to the Axe-FX. With a separate interface and SPDIF/AES connection to Axe, you'd want to make sure the interface was set to 48k first, and there's a Reaper setting to prevent projects from changing the current samplerate.

Thank you very much for the help Bakerman. Unfortunately Reaper is not used by professional, or maybe only few of them use it, so it's really rare to get a Reaper project for me. Does anyone have a solution for ProTools, Logic or Ableton?

But I agree that the 48khz limitation, is a strong limitation. Which is weird to have in a unit that otherwise hasn't got that easy to reach limitations...

And how much would you had been willing to pay, over the current price of the Axe-FX III, for the incorporation of a high-quality jitter-free sample rate converter?

Last edited:
Settle all. Even if the initial post was not...diplomatic...he DID ask recently with help in his situation. Can we focus on that?

Please?

It will be really nice to find a workaround cause many people seems to agree with me:

Probably not the politest way to contribute sth. to a forum but to be honest, having the Axe working with 44,1kHz would make things here in the studio much easier for me.
I only need 48kHz for recording for filmmusic and having the possibility to go diectly into the DAW without having to waste two inputs on my Interface and having to convert, would give me more inputs and reason for buying more cool mike pres:) - and isn´t that what we all want?
Maybe it´s still worth considering for the Axe IV?

At the price point of the Axe FX lll it should be seen as an professional studio unit. As I pointed out earlier for high end studio units with digital I/O the ability to sync to external wordclock....At minimum it should be able to sync to external clock and be able to switch between 44.1 and 48khz. I pointed out it’s normal to work in 96k or higher.

I often see on this forum that if you disagree with some of the decisions made by Fractal you get smashed...Yes Fractal Audio makes good products, but not all solutions are what they should be.

I find myself reluctant to agree with OP because of the fervor with which he states the point, but I also can appreciate the intensity of his frustration, and I'm glad to see it expressed honestly. I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum from Henry Robinett. My bandmates have potato computers to record with, and we share our project ideas by sending the Cubase projects around and adding to them. Their backwards rigs can't work very well above 44.1, but it works. When I asked them to switch to 48k because "AxeFx," my band mate said,"Wait, your $2500 state of the art guitar processor can't operate in 44.1k? Well that's F'ing stupid."

And that's why I applaud OP for stating what I've heard non-Fractalites say reflexively, in response to this limitation. While inarticulate and perhaps immature, it accurately and starkly represents how some people feel about this issue.

Yes, I know that I can use the analog outputs with another soundcard, but Fractal advertises the USB features as one of the selling points of the product, and it is Limited. Explaining to users that they should just stop complaining and use a work around seems pedantic to me. I love using the USB functionality of the AxeFx 3, and if I could convince the rest of the world to run in 48, I would. But I can't, so I don't get to use the feature. And whether there are reasons for it, or workarounds, or I really like this company, I still feel the same way about this problem. Laaaame. And I complain because I hope that others will as well, and that Fractal will address this in future product releases.

To the people that argue that Fractal is a successful company, and therefore is already "doing it right,": please stop. This argument has no intrinsic value, does not further the conversation in any productive way, and seems like a fanboy battlecry. If you think that an entity's financial success means that they automatically know best and don't make mistakes or have lessons to learn, then I have a bridge to sell you.

Sorry guys.

And even more if you look back to previews pages of this thread.
Thank you guys for joining the "rant", maybe fractal will start considering also our needs.

There is a professional solution here

The problem are those nonsense 700$.
I mean there's a software solution or near priceless solution for this situation?

I've got a project from a client set at 44.1 with guitar DIs recorded in it, I want to reamp those DIs with AXE FX3.
There is a way to do that in the digital domain without going back to analog?
How could i do that?

Last edited:
No, he isn't. Words have meaning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

A troll is somebody that says inflammatory things intended to provoke and get a rise out of people. A troll is not somebody that disagrees with you or says something stupid. OP said up front that he had a rant and expressed his appreciation for the other positive aspects of the product, and even admits that he might have wasted 30 minutes of his life. Even though I vehemently disagree with what he has to say his post sounds sincere, if hyperbolic and one-dimensional. That is not a troll. The infamous Romeo Rose was a troll because he willfully disregarded what people said and drew absurd conclusions that were obviously designed to garner the ire of the average forum poster... big difference.

That being said:

Who cares? Hook it up via XLR and go back to making music. Every studio I've ever been to has run my Axe-Fx (all two generations of it; I have yet to upgrade to the III) through an outboard pre or the desk, just as they would a real guitar amp (which the product is designed to emulate). It all ends up as a sine wave eventually, after all...

EDIT: Maybe not an “obvious troll”.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom