THE AXE AND THE VOLTAGE CONDITIONER

venen

Hello friends, I wanted to appeal to their experiences to tell me if it is necessary to buy a conditioner such intention "furman". Is the ax does not come with fuses for protection in case of peak retention?? I have the ax, engl power and Voodoo Lab GCX and cost me dearly to all that I burn and lose everything, if it's necessary and we all have bought it, but maybe not necessary to make the furman spending, before playing with a foot for several pubs and never got any protection to any team, and nothing ever happened.
You who have experience with this topic? furman furman whether or not?

In my exprience cleaner power makes electronics last longer and perform better. Gotta spend at least 300 for the good stuff with a power conditioner though (unless its secondhand).

A power conditioner I would recommend to keep things safe from spikes and isolated especially if you have a bunch of gear in a rack. A voltage conditioner is probably overkill. It's been said before that voltage conditioners and even power conditioners will not enhance the performance of the axefx. So depending on the rest of your gear you may or may not want to invest the extra cash. At the very least get a power conditioner that has some line noise filtering and you'll be ok

This gets beaten to death every couple of weeks..

"Search" is your friend...

Short version:

Fractal devices are engineered to accept a wide range of power sources so a conditioner/regulator is unnecessary, according to FAS.

That said, many ( including me ) consider the benefits ( single switch for all devices in rack, needs of other devices, placebo effect )
to be worth the extra cost and weight. Cheap ones are virtually worthless for protection, but still provide convienience.

I have plenty of rack space and don't move a lot, so I have a battery UPS in mine.

If I had to move it a lot, especially flyins, I'd probably reconsider...

I don't want to type out my lightning strike story again. I'm probably not the only one who's tired of it.

It's in the forum here somewhere...

Fractal devices are engineered to accept a wide range of power sources so a conditioner/regulator is unnecessary, according to FAS.
Not quite. Cliff posted that voltage regulation is not needed, but a power conditioner is probably a good idea.

You don't need to spend a lot of money to get the good stuff. There are $15 power strips that pass the same UL tests as the $300 Furman units. They are not maintenance-free like the Furmans, but the protection from surges and transients is as good. Filtering AC that is feeding a switch-mode supply is redundant.

Having said that, I like the Carvin AC120S which includes sequenced outlets.

pg 176 of the manual says that it will take:
"100–240 VAC, 47 – 63 Hz (universal input)"

That's a HUGE range, covering you from most power fluctuations. Does not cover severe conditions, eg spikes/transients, lightning etc.
So essentially what LMO said.

Although you don't need a line conditioner, I have one to protect everything else(i.e. 2xFBT Verves and a Toshiba Satellite) and to tie everything onto a common ground.

totally depends on the local Power supply where you use it.

In the Uk the power is pretty clean and constant. I think there is a case for "surge" protection but that cab ne done with a cheap 4 way power cable. Power "conditioning" is just not needed here -- unless your going to run from a generator at some gigs.

In other parts of the world power is not so clean or stable - and surprisingly (to me ) the US is one of those. I dont know where your are so ??? Of the kit you mention - the Engle power amp is most susseptable anyway. Most modern Electronics can handle slight dipd in power - its the surge that kills them hence the need for surge protection. Valve gear on the other hand sounds best when it has a clean stable supply.

I have a cheap Belkin surge protector at home. It actually came with an equipment insurance for several mill €...so I'd say the cheap stuff may do the job just as fine 8)

get a staged power supply like the apc g5... then we wont reply to a new thread about popping when turning off power.

-Nate

I watched my band mate's Mesa amp (very substantially built to play on real world power itself) literally go up in smoke right before a gig when power connections got unintentionally crossed and 240 VAC got sent to the stage. Not theory, it happened before my eyes. I am no electronics expert, but I can tell you his fuses and built in protection didn't keep his amp from toasting. It was repairable, but wasn't cheap, and (talk about adding insult to injury) he got to play on a keyboard amp all night. My gear was on a Furman PL-Pro DMC which shut itself down showing "Extreme Over Voltage" in the display. I turned it off/on (to reset, per the manual) and everything was wonderful on my side. Thankfully, the rest of the stage was on other circuits.

If you play at home and your power is dependable, probably overkill. If you play out where stage power is as variable as the "inn keeper," then it is your money... protect as you see fit. Or not. I won't even get into outside, generator powered gigs... ugh.

For my gear, regardless of anyone's opinion, it gets power from a quality power conditioner or regulator. My unit has proven itself in the real world, saving my gear when not having it proved disastrous for someone on the same power circuit. No one is going to change my mind about that. And it being resettable was a bonus too (some are "one and done" and have to be replaced after successfully absorbing a hit... read the manual!!).

Like everything here or in any forum, take the advice you get and make the call based on your own conclusions. No one else paid for your gear, nor will they pay to replace it if their advice gets you into a bad spot! Best of luck to you, whichever you choose! :D

I use a decent ISOBAR filter suppressor. It was like $40 used off of Ebay.

As an old diehard audiophile I also use a pretty heavy duty Volex 12ga power cord I built with upgrade connectors.
Cost me about $15 in parts.

I know some might think that is silly, but my experience is a good power cord lowers the noise floor on audio equipment.

Back
Top Bottom