The aX8-Mann cometh! Pics, video & audio review

Ya know I'm along for the ride X! I too am digging my new AX8,just waiting for my Xitone cab to get done. The dirty tones are great right out of the gate, I've been working on a couple of versatile clean patches that I need for cover tunes. Have you worked out a scheme for your footswitch setup, unique to your way of working? Are you using scenes? x/y or multiple presets? The AX has soooo many choices it has the potential for some serious anxiety. But worth it.
signed, your boy "blue"
Hey Blue (aka Jeff),

1st off, congrats on your new Fractal AX8 purchase! You are in for a ride my friend & just be patient, take your time & learn the unit. It takes a little bit of time to wrap your head around the layout & editing, but it all makes sense in the end. The amp choices alone make getting the AX8 a total no-brianer in my eyes. Fractal has developed & worked on these amp models for years & years....& they are sooooooo good!

You just bought the space shuttle of amp modeling units......& it does everything at a Pro level & more. If you had been given the real (200+) amps, cabs & pedals, you'd still need to learn how they operate. Start small, work with the amps that you know, think you'll like......& then test-out, try things & read everything posted by the great people on this forum. Reverse engineer other user presets as well.

I've taken my AX8 to band practice & tried a few different set-ups.......& well....I'm going w/ scenes now & taking advantage of the X/Y features. I'm also trying to run 4-main presets that multiple scenes in them. Sometime I X/Y the exact same amp & use the "copy X toY" feature in the little arrow pull-down menu. I find this to be a GREAT way to go from clean to dirty or from dirty.......to....well....total nasty/dirty!

Get your favorite handful of amp/cab combo's 1st......& then add in the FX last. I also have been borrowing great pre-made FX setting from other users too!

I wish you luck & you can P.M. me at any time & I'll always try to help you out. There are much more tech worthy guys here to ask & you may want to go that route 1st. :(

Peace! X

Last edited:
Thanks, Tim for your advice. I'm finding most of my answers are answered here on the forum.I may hit you up too! I've set up a neutral sounding cab with V30s and a mild reverb and started going thru amps saving faves for future preset building. I'm with you I want to build 4presets to cover my basic needs with scenes and individual efx on/off. The sounds are so inspiring I get lost playing and I don't get my tweaking done. I've found it helpful to copy a preset then dig into every page to see how and why it ticks. The block copy feature on AXedit is also useful for copying settings to new presets. There is so much to explore here, it has my geeky imagination soaring.

I am a Big fan of burgs, and this triptik patch (in the description) is really cool. I was able to use AxeFXsend to convert the patch to Ax8

Here's the Fractal AX8's "Corncob M50" (aka Cornford) amp model.....

This thing is SO chewey & I've never had better harmonic overtones on an amp modeler before!!!! :eek:

Lots of new tone tests went on this weekend in "Studio-X" my modeling peeps. The new AX8 software update is just fantastic on ALL levels & I'm loving the visual screen changes as well.

This sound sample/video is also w/ a stock AX8 cabinet & its #146....."4x12 MAR-CB H-PR-55 MIC (OH)

Just raw iPhone audio coming through (2) Friedman ASM-12 FRFR Powered cabinets.

I'm going to do a few more chord based & less widley, widley legatto lead type samples just for the fun of it all.

Have a great week!!!

X

Here's the Fractal AX8's "Corncob M50" (aka Cornford) amp model.....

This thing is SO chewey & I've never had better harmonic overtones on an amp modeler before!!!! :eek:

Lots of new tone tests went on this weekend in "Studio-X" my modeling peeps. The new AX8 software update is just fantastic on ALL levels & I'm loving the visual screen changes as well.

This sound sample/video is also w/ a stock AX8 cabinet & its #146....."4x12 MAR-CB H-PR-55 MIC (OH)

Just raw iPhone audio coming through (2) Friedman ASM-12 FRFR Powered cabinets.

I'm going to do a few more chord based & less widley, widley legatto lead type samples just for the fun of it all.

Have a great week!!!

X

i too enjoy the corncob model...so many to choose from i'm going bananas

Try the Triptik modern with the Basketweave TV. Sounds great!

So.....I'm the 1st to admit that I'm NOT a smart Mann, but I know what LOVE is!!!!!

& it's called the "Triptic Modern" amp model inside the AX8!!! :eek:

THANK YOU Pat for telling me about this amp that I had never even heard of before brolo!!! :cool:

Triptik Modern w/ Mesa 4x12 cab w/ 57&121.....& some morning wanking w/ delay.......delay......delay!!!

X's Triptic Modern phaser fun & riffing eXtravaganza!!!!! \m/

For those about to Rock a Fractal AX8, I salute you!

& I'll try this preset & amp model out w/ your Basketweave TV cab IR tonight too!!! \m/

X

PS - My condo neighbor game me the dirtiest look when I left for work today after making these quick clips too. :oops:

#nobodyputsxmanninthecorner

Last edited:
Tasty!

As a condo-dweller myself I probably piss some folks off but it can't be any worse than me dealing with dog shit everywhere and their crappy kids tearing the place up.

Some people just don't appreciate righteous riffage at respectable volume levels.

Tasty!

As a condo-dweller myself I probably piss some folks off but it can't be any worse than me dealing with dog shit everywhere and their crappy kids tearing the place up.

Some people just don't appreciate righteous riffage at respectable volume levels.
Yea, I wasn't playing at a respectable volume at all, but my neighbor is a condo renter....& don't even get me going on THAT issue buddy!!!!!

My wife would kill me if I played at the volume in my Triptik clip while she was actually home too! :D

X

Hey guys!!!!!!

I've been away & just crazy busy with about 500 things, including my sons wedding, daughter-in-laws graduation from medical school, the lose of my pug Zues's eye, my hernia surgery & tons more.........

In my continuing tone quest & Fractal AX8 journey, I decided to share some of my tone testing results. I love to save off the same amp model w/ different cabinet IR's & I leave the amp controls (bass, mid, gain & treble) the exact same. This way I get a better feel for what the chosen IR is bringing to the tone party.

The EVH 5153 100 watt Blue Channel in the AX8 is a fantastic model that really works for me!!!!!! I've been getting good results on my own, but decided to purchase the Fremen preset pack to review & learn from. The 5153 preset & cab IR's come from HIS preset download & it's well worth the money. I should add that my new Fractal friend Don Anderson is part of this equation too. He took the Fremen 5153 & tweaked it 1st.....then I tweaked it to work with my guitars & changed the IR in it. Thanks for being SO cool & sharing your knowledge with me bolo!

Warning: There is NO TALKING in this video! :D

X's FUN 5153 amp model video w/ IR changes......\m/

I find the Fremen cabinet IR's to be the real amazing thing in all of this.

Opening tune IR = Bogner Helious 2 TM
2nd tune (Seeds of Karma) = Recto 3 TM (Right) & Marshall JTM45 TM (Left)
Gold Top Lick = Marshall JTM45 TM
Sapphire Blue Lick = Recto 3 TM
Drop-D Teal Death Lick = Engager MTS TM

I have some favorite stock AX8 IR's as well as some favorite Ownhammer IR's too. I would usually keep tweaking an amp model to the final cabinet I've selected, but didn't in this video example. I also had to choose IR's that were similar enough that they worked & sounded good to me.

ALL of this was done under a mild amount of pain & heavy medical grade pain killers too......SO.....results may vary.

Have a great weekend everyone.....& peace!

X

PS - I Fremen presets are 110% "X-Mann" recommended & again, worth the price if admission.

Last edited:
Hey X. I'm enjoying your trip down the Fractal rabbit hole. The red pill is a wonderful thing.

I love your positive view, so needed in general but especially on the Internet and in forums. It's refreshing. Thanks for sharing your home, experience, and playing with us.

I have been using Carvin gear since the late 70s, and it's always been great. Frankly, I haven't really bonded with the name change yet but will get used to it eventually. I know it's actually more a return to the original company name, but I am at that age where change comes slowly! Best of fortunes to them, they seem like decent folks.

Thx Pete!

I do these just for the fun of it all & Fractal Audio actually shared this on their official Facebook page too!

It's not a huge deal, but it feels pretty awesome!

I've got other AX8 amp models scheduled for tests & videos too.

Have a great Sunday.....& peace! X

I think its cool bro and well deserved...Rock It X

Hey X. I'm enjoying your trip down the Fractal rabbit hole. The red pill is a wonderful thing.

I love your positive view, so needed in general but especially on the Internet and in forums. It's refreshing. Thanks for sharing your home, experience, and playing with us.

I have been using Carvin gear since the late 70s, and it's always been great. Frankly, I haven't really bonded with the name change yet but will get used to it eventually. I know it's actually more a return to the original company name, but I am at that age where change comes slowly! Best of fortunes to them, they seem like decent folks.
Hey Rick.............Thanks for the check-in & cool comments broseph!

I still can't believe what I've learned about the AX8 so far.........& w/ each day, I seem to find out something new from someone here or on the gear page.

The documenting of my tones is a fun process & it's always great to look (or listen) back & see things later on down the road. All the little tweaks can play tricks w/ your ears if you're not careful.

Yea, I've only been a Carvin guy (ok, now Kiesel) for a little over 4-years, but I really just love the quality of the builds that they put together for me. I think it's kind of funny that Kiesel guitars & Fractal Audio is where I landed too. These companies are VERY similar to me, as they both sell direct & make a killer custom product. The employees are also a HUGE part of why they have continued success. You're only as good as the people that work for you & it seems like they are a very close group of great people who actually care & take pride in their products. #winning

I can support that all day long.......&.......well.........do! ;)

Rock on Rick & I'm taking another trip down the Rabbit hole :eek: ..........So......see ya.....& Peace! :D

X-Mann

X-Mann, as someone who is currently deciding between an Ax8 and an Axe Fx 2 XL+, do you miss anything from the Axe Fx? One thing I worry about is running out of CPU, especially since I am looking for EVH, Lynch, and Eric Johnson type of tones. I'm worried about making a bad decision and regretting it. I was originally leaning Ax8 since it is cheaper, but this is a purchase I have been dreaming about for a couple of years and the last thing I want to do is half ass it.

I am a home player and only occasionally jam with family and friends but it is rare. I was originally planning on getting studio monitors, specifically the Yamaha HS7's, but saw that I can add $200 and get one of those Friedman ASM 12's (perhaps even get a discount if I ask Sweetwater nicely). I'd like to get your opinion on what you think might be the better option? Is it still possible to get quiet late night volume levels out of the Friedman without it sounding bad? Is it heavy? Also I would only be able to afford 1 of them, does that still sound good or do most people use 2?

X-Mann, as someone who is currently deciding between an Ax8 and an Axe Fx 2 XL+, do you miss anything from the Axe Fx? One thing I worry about is running out of CPU, especially since I am looking for EVH, Lynch, and Eric Johnson type of tones. I'm worried about making a bad decision and regretting it. I was originally leaning Ax8 since it is cheaper, but this is a purchase I have been dreaming about for a couple of years and the last thing I want to do is half ass it.

I am a home player and only occasionally jam with family and friends but it is rare. I was originally planning on getting studio monitors, specifically the Yamaha HS7's, but saw that I can add $200 and get one of those Friedman ASM 12's (perhaps even get a discount if I ask Sweetwater nicely). I'd like to get your opinion on what you think might be the better option? Is it still possible to get quiet late night volume levels out of the Friedman without it sounding bad? Is it heavy? Also I would only be able to afford 1 of them, does that still sound good or do most people use 2?
Hello & welcome.....

There are NO limitations to the AX8 unless you've already owned & used the Axe Fx II for years & years.....& took full advantage of ALL it has to offer w/ it's dual amps & loaded up your presets w/ everything but the kitchen sink.

The AX8 is just fantastic & I miss nothing at all from the big brother unit.

The goal in creating the AX8 was to give us the "Fractal Audio" quality & sound at a more affordable price range. The only way to do that was to remove the USB recording & dual amp models for the most part. That's what it took to bring the price down & for 90% of us, this was a great & needed thing.

Never listen to any one persons opinion on-line, do your own research , listen to clips, watch videos & then make your best educated guess. The only way to know for sure is to get (& learn) the unit in question in your hands & play it through your guitars & gear.

If you, me or anyone can't sound just stellar through the AX8.....well.....then....um....maybe a tube amp or refrigerator sized rack is needed in the end. Lol :eek::p

Understand that the only limitations on the AX8 come from the users understanding of the unit itself.

The amount of blocks you can load into one preset is incredible & what do you really need to sound good? You may need to run multiple presets & skip the scene thing, but that's not a big deal in my eyes at all. Using the lower CPU intensive reverbs fixes any maxing out of the unit & ALL units have a cap on how big a preset can get too. Don't be scared away by all the "limitation" talk.

I've had it for 2-months & I'm still learning new things & ways to make it work for me. It's a totally pro level unit on all levels & like all new products, it's being revised & made better w/ firmware updates & that will continue for years to come. We've already seen major updates that included all kinds of fixes, new amp models & better funtionality.

Good luck on your tone quest & get one of these killer Fractal units in your hands ASAP & test it out.

If money's NOT an issue & you have any concerns at all about the AX8, get the Axe Fx II XL+ & you'll never need to purchase another amp modeling device in your lifetime.

I try to look at guitar gear as follows. I'm NOT a single coil Strat guy at all, they just don't work for me at all. But, I know that some of the best players love them & some of my favorite guitar tones come from them. Modeling gear is no different & what one guy just loves & praises, another guy can dislike or even hate. I'm a mid-grade player who knows what works only when I try it out. Fractal works for me....& I've never been a deep tweaker in the past either. Fractal's amp selection & high quality FX make want to learn more & make me want to play more too.

Again, good luck & results may vary. o_O

Peace! X

The Friedman ASM-12's sound HUGE & are just Rock Solid & you can play low rhough them if needed. I do this, but prefer to play that at a semi to very loud level. They are heavy as hell & weigh-in at 51lbs. They are built at the same quality as a Mesa Boogie cabinet & look fantastic. These are not guitar cabinets though & definitely an FRFR system. The drivers have been changed & Dave license this design from another company, but does also build a new cabinet. While I strongly recommend them, I've owned no other FRFR system.....So.....Please take that into consideration. I bought them for the looks & price point 1st & lucked out that they work so well for me live. Then I bought a 2nd one & I'm in total stereo heaven!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom