The audacity of some people...

Fabio KTG

Fractal Fanatic
I was browsing through a certain competitor who shall not be named affiliated websites and came across people selling "their" profiles. It struck me that this is not something that any of us in the FAS family has subscribed to, but then again, t's not us with the ££££££'s of expensive amps (That's what Cliff is for) so if people want to pay for it, let 'em get on with it.

But then i saw this....

Profiles for the Kemper Profiling Amp KPA

Near the bottom of the page, this SOB is charging for profiles of his AXE FX 2!

I feel a Cease and Desist letter coming on.

I don't know if selling Axe Fx presets is or not licit... but selling Kemper profiles is legal, like Cab IRs. Ethics, like Esthetics is something arguable, law is not!

I was browsing through a certain competitor who shall not be named affiliated websites and came across people selling "their" profiles. It struck me that this is not something that any of us in the FAS family has subscribed to, but then again, t's not us with the ££££££'s of expensive amps (That's what Cliff is for) so if people want to pay for it, let 'em get on with it.

But then i saw this....

Profiles for the Kemper Profiling Amp KPA

Near the bottom of the page, this SOB is charging for profiles of his AXE FX 2!

I feel a Cease and Desist letter coming on.

Your signature is hilarious.

Nothing wrong with it at all. Selling copies of tones from a digital device that itself makes $ from modeling/copying tube amps is par for the course.........it's all good!

Last edited:
I'm sure it's not illegal. Not something I'd personally pay for, unless it was an amp model that wasn't provided by Fractal and I wanted. I'd be sure to exhaust other options first. But, if they own the amps and capture them digitally I suppose they can sell them. However, I think there's something to be said for a community that shares and helps each other out.

What really gets me, not just in modeling, but elsewhere, is a company bundling and selling community-created content. Such as a site that charges for displaying community-created answers to technical problems. Not their employees answering the questions, but community members going in and answering tech questions. That's just lame...profiting off the work of others without compensating them.

If this company takes user-submissions on the Kemper forum, bundles them and then tries to sell them, then THAT is beyond lame.

Last edited:
I'm not going to talk bad about the act of profiling because that's kind of the entire premise behind the design. I'm sure that people have even tried profiling old first generation L6 pods and crap too. It's part of the fun I suppose.

What I do find intriguing is the fact that so many have jumped on the profiteering side with the KPA. I understand that it takes a lot of work and you have to have the gear in hand to create the profiles, but it's one of those things that makes me glad that I am on this platform here. I suppose that the IR libraries are analogous in some respects, but when you're talking about hundreds to thousands of files that have been carefully measured vs someone micing an amp or even worse in the case of profiling the AxeFXII, hooking up a pair of cables it's a bit different to me.

On the other hand if someone buys one of these packs and likes it they may decide that the real deal is a good idea. But we all know that the KPA is not the AxeFXII and the AxeFXII is not the KPA. Two completely different beasts.

For me it's ok, except that soundside.de sold/still sells an old firmware (V4 I think) amp only presets, and imho, it's with firmware 6 that the stock presets became really good, before that I was not a fan. So they're not selling the best possible representation of the Axe, far from that
I also made a few profiles of my Axe presets, and some KPA users seems to love them. I share them for free though, and the original Axe presets sounds better to my ears

Armin is well known, has a long history of creating digital products - including Line 6 (Vetta) the Axe-FX (which at the time allowed you to hack the Fractal firmware to create your own amp names) - and once he sees no money, he moves onto a platform where he can make some money.

Nothing really wrong with it; but anything I've heard from those profiles don't sound anything like the Axe-FX to me in any way. So meh.

I do feel sorry for the unsuspecting Kemper owner that buys the profiles of the Axe-FX II in the hope to capture killer tones... the actual result of what Armin did in that specific case isn't very impressive from what I've heard.

Paying for profiles is not different from paying for IRs. Nobody is flaming redwirez or ownhammer or some others for selling IRs. Everybody is just happy to have some more options to shape his tone and the ones that don't want to buy something just stay away from these IRs.

It's nice to be able to buy and install new IRs to the AxeFx, but it wouldn't it make life ten times easier when we would be able to buy and install ready tweaked sounds, where IRs and ampsettings and so on already fit together and all you have to do is to play instead of tweaking?
Yes, we have a place to exchange files, I know, but what the professional sellers of profiles do is different. They make some similar shoots of one amp with little incremental changes, so you can pick that one out of the collection that you like the most instead of starting to tweak. So you don't need to tweak much, when there is usually one or more that hit your stuff and your taste. And that is something that we don't have, have we?

Paying for profiles is not different from paying for IRs. Nobody is flaming redwirez or ownhammer or some others for selling IRs. Everybody is just happy to have some more options to shape his tone and the ones that don't want to buy something just stay away from these IRs.

It's nice to be able to buy and install new IRs to the AxeFx, but it wouldn't it make life ten times easier when we would be able to buy and install ready tweaked sounds, where IRs and ampsettings and so on already fit together and all you have to do is to play instead of tweaking?
Yes, we have a place to exchange files, I know, but what the professional sellers of profiles do is different. They make some similar shoots of one amp with little incremental changes, so you can pick that one out of the collection that you like the most instead of starting to tweak. So you don't need to tweak much, when there is usually one or more that hit your stuff and your taste. And that is something that we don't have, have we?

I think he is referring to paying for axe fx ii profiles, no?

I think he is referring to paying for axe fx ii profiles, no?

Yes, they may not be named profiles I guess, but it should be something like that.
Collections of ready sounds, instead of collections of IRs only.
Import -> Play -> like or dislike -> keep or delete.
Reduced tweaking.

I was talking about the Axe profiles only. Making money from the Axe, unless you are the manufacturer, distributor, seller or using it to make music, doesn't sit well with me. Just my opinion though. If people want to sound like an Axe, they should buy one. It's like sticking a Ferrari engine in a Ford and calling it a Ferrari.

Or something like that.

Fabio KTG;863773 edited and modified by Rook said:
I was talking about the Mesa Dual Rectifier models only. Making money from the Dual Rectifier unless you are the manufacturer, distributor, seller or using it to make music, doesn't sit well with me. Just my opinion though. If people want to sound like an Dual Rectifier, they should buy one. It's like sticking a Ferrari engine in a Ford and calling it a Ferrari.

Or something like that.

Does this still hold?

Back
Top Bottom