The Amp Block Speaker Tab

ertan

Experienced
Hi,

As I understand from the Axe FX II manual, the values of the parameters at the speaker tab is directly related to the cab (both the cab itself and the speaker) sim that is being used at the moment.

To achieve accuracy here, I think that we need the resonant frequency values of the cabs that are being commonly used in the Axe community.

I searched a bit about these values before opening a new thread. If it it already exists, I apologize, and appreciate an informative redirecting like 'see this topic', instead of something like 'search the goddamn forum' :)

Is it possible to get these values from somewhere, or may we humbly request these values from the Cab sim producers like Ownhammer and Mad Oak Studio?

The reason for my request is that I'm having a little bit of trouble with the low frequencies (in almost all cabs), and my cab low cut frequency value reached 130.0 Hz already, since I don't trust my ears too much, I don't want to do something wrong in the eve of my first recordings with this wonderful unit.

Thanks.

Last edited:
By the way, I'm an Ownhammer solid state user, I find the T1 and T2 cabs way too boomy, and if I remember right, Cliff said that using these cabs will render the values I request useless in another thread (their effect should be set to 0 in decibels with these).

The main cab I use is the Marshall cab (new ones) and the Scumback M75, H75 speakers and the Chinese Vintage 30.

Thanks.

I'm an Ownhammer solid state user, I find the T1 and T2 cabs way too boomy, and if I remember right, Cliff said that using these cabs will render the values I request useless in another thread (their effect should be set to 0 in decibels with these).

Too boomy?? well i find the SS totally sterile and lifeless! :mrgreen

By the way, I'm an Ownhammer solid state user, I find the T1 and T2 cabs way too boomy, and if I remember right, Cliff said that using these cabs will render the values I request useless in another thread (their effect should be set to 0 in decibels with these).

The main cab I use is the Marshall cab (new ones) and the Scumback M75, H75 speakers and the Chinese Vintage 30.

Thanks.
Are you using IR + a traditional cab?

@brokenvail: i didn't understand what you mean by a traditional cab, i'm only using one IR. which are the solid state studio mix IR's of the ownhammer modern pack (i switch between m75, h75 and v30 from time to time, and trying to get rid of the v30 addiction :) )

brokenvail is asking whether you're using FRFR or a real, physical guitar cab.

i understand now, i'm using FRFR, althoguh the FRFR porperty of the BX5A's are highly debatable :)

i wish the same information from ownhammer, please kevin please :)

Not sure if the request here is frequency plots of every IR, but doing so for thousands upon thousands upon thousands of IR's on my part wouldn't be time productive - all that would be better spent making juicy new libraries. :)

I would recommend pulling down VST Analyzer and loading up what you may be curious about with your favorite convolution reverb loader. I use this tool religiously:

Christian's Blog » Measurement

Hi Kevin,

I'm the guy who uses a download manager and loses data very frequently, so also who requests a download quota reset every few days :)

You are always very helpful, and now it didn't change.

I will read and apply the information you shared. Thank you very much for your helpfullness, as always.

And i'm eagerly waiting for your diezel cab :)

Last edited:
To All,

I have often thought that the 'Speaker' tab that is in the AMP block should be in the CAB block. After all, isn't the Impedance curve representing the load that the cabinet is providing to the amp?

Cheers, Mike

Hi,

As I understand from the Axe FX II manual, the values of the parameters at the speaker tab is directly related to the cab (both the cab itself and the speaker) sim that is being used at the moment.

To achieve accuracy here, I think that we need the resonant frequency values of the cabs that are being commonly used in the Axe community.

I searched a bit about these values before opening a new thread. If it it already exists, I apologize, and appreciate an informative redirecting like 'see this topic', instead of something like 'search the goddamn forum' :)

Is it possible to get these values from somewhere, or may we humbly request these values from the Cab sim producers like Ownhammer and Mad Oak Studio?

The reason for my request is that I'm having a little bit of trouble with the low frequencies (in almost all cabs), and my cab low cut frequency value reached 130.0 Hz already, since I don't trust my ears too much, I don't want to do something wrong in the eve of my first recordings with this wonderful unit.

Thanks.

IIRC the default values in the amp block are for the cab typically used with the amp. Impedance curve data can be found for some raw speakers from the manufactures, but this data is influenced by the cab and number of speakers.

To All,

I have often thought that the 'Speaker' tab that is in the AMP block should be in the CAB block. After all, isn't the Impedance curve representing the load that the cabinet is providing to the amp?

Cheers, Mike

The Speaker tab's Impedance Curve interacts with the power amp, making the Amp block the logical place to put the data. If it were moved to the Cab block you would create a dependency between the Amp and Cab blocks - there would have to be some mechanism added to the Axe's programming to allow the Cab block to provide this information to the Amp block. Bringing up the questions:
1. What happens if you have an Amp block but no Cab block to supply an impedance curve.
2. Now that we have introduced dependencies between blocks, what other blocks could/should have unique relationships (leading to a situation where you would no longer have the freedom to put any block in any position of any preset - without being required to include a 'companion' block in the preset.

Last edited:
To respond to Max Twang,

The Speaker tab's Impedance Curve interacts with the power amp, making the Amp block the logical place to put the data. If it were moved to the Cab block you would create a dependency between the Amp and Cab blocks - Exactly, shouldn't there be? ... but regarding what you said below....

there would have to be some mechanism added to the Axe's programming to allow the Cab block to provide this information to the Amp block. Bringing up the questions:

1. What happens if you have an Amp block but no Cab block to supply an impedance curve. Good question, maybe a default, flat 8 Ohms

2. Now that we have introduced dependencies between blocks, what other blocks could/should have unique relationships (leading to a situation where you would no longer have the freedom to put any block in any position of any preset - without being required to include a 'companion' block in the preset. That would be a problem. In the digital world, we can put anything we want between the AMP and CABINET blocks without any concern about power levels or impedance matches. In the real world that's not possible

All good items for thought. The current formats (and IR's) to not include impedance data with the speakers

Cheers, Mike

Back
Top Bottom