'The Alien' Wins Grammy Award for Best Metal Performance

I tried FOUR TIMES to get through The Astonishing. Totally lost on me. But whether or not I like the newer stuff, I still pull up the songs on Songstrerr to see what crazy thing JP is coming up with. TBH, I no longer hear anything like, Erotomania, for example, but there's still some good writing going on. I just think their well is drying up, and Portnoy's production & arranging was a huge part of how interesting the song ended up.

And they seem to really be laying into 7/8 time signatures lately as well. But I'm really glad they got a Grammy, even if it is a popularity contest at its core.

JP is such a chill guy, but I bet his heart was racing more than before they play their opening song at a show, right before they announced the winner. I'm glad he was there to receive it!

Last edited:
Yeah, these last couple of DT albums have gotten very little play from me. I still listen to a lot of their earlier stuff. I actually just listened to all of Train of Thought yesterday at work. The new albums and their songs just run together in a big blur for me. I can appreciate the skill, but it's just not where my head is at anymore.

Today I am listening to Michael Romeo's War of the Worlds 2. Hopefully Symphony X comes out with some new material as well.

Yeah, these last couple of DT albums have gotten very little play from me. I still listen to a lot of their earlier stuff. I actually just listened to all of Train of Thought yesterday at work. The new albums and their songs just run together in a big blur for me. I can appreciate the skill, but it's just not where my head is at anymore.

Today I am listening to Michael Romeo's War of the Worlds 2. Hopefully Symphony X comes out with some new material as well.
A friend of mine has gotten me listing to a band called Dance Gavin Dance. They are damn good.

Petrucci is part of the Grammy committee, as are Brann and Bill from Mastodon, so I haven’t been surprised to see both bands popping up in the nominations list since they joined.

When I watched the video of his acceptance speech, while it was cool to see DT getting a Grammy, I thought the song the band was playing as he walked up was a lot cooler!

(0:34)

Really wonder who picked that song!

Back
Top Bottom