Nothing recent...

For these kind of tips I'm still stuck on...

- Larry Carlton's "Sleepwalk": every note is among the "most tasteful playing ever"...

- Jeff Beck's "There and Back"

Esp. since both albums don't seem *that* well known, but deserve to be.

The Faceless - Autotheism

In car now Forbidden omega wave

go to, desert island bands, most anything by Dream Theater, Symphony X, or Iron Maiden

Anything by Bloodbath. Here lately Ive fallen in love with the buzzsaw guitar sound in Swedish Death Metal.
Also, Bad Company-Burnin' Sky, Megadeth-Rust in Peace, Mountain-Nantucket Sleighride.
Tons more. I cant keep track.

Four80East -Nocturnal
Supreme Beings of Lesisure - self titled album
Machine Head - Burn My Eyes
Incubus - S.C.I.E.N.C.E

Ok, this one might not fit in context, but today while going on a long drive in the car, I dug through my iTunes collection on my phone and put on Red Hot Chilli Peppers "Live From Hyde Park"... Wow, Flea's bass playing is just through the roof on that session. John's soloing might have not been considered extraordinary, but it was still serviceable... but his rhythm playing was superb... Great clean tone jangle and all the fills are just in the right places...

Another oldie I pulled out in the car the other day.... Phil Collins "No Jacket Required".

My kids (12 and 9) said "Whoa! Who is THIS???". They absolutely LOVED the album. Asked me to play "Lose My Number" over and over again.

Now I shall inflict YOU all with this timeless classic! :D

Albums that grab me lately: 1) Sleater-Kinney: the Hot Rock - nice poppy riotgrrl music. The contrapuntal sad-but-poppy Gibson SG work on 'Quarter to Three' is a favorite. 2) Frank Zappa: Roxy and Elsewhere - one of the best live albums ever - and more humbucking Gibson SG (funny for a guy who likes single coils). 3) Soundgarden: Down on the upside - I think Kim Thayill is a seriously underappreciated guitarist. 4) Morphine: the Best of Morphine - ANYTHING by this band is flat-out AWESOME - even though there's no guitar and the bass only has two strings :)

Last edited:
I always comes back to this "obscure" little funk metal band with Mr Trujillio on bass

When reading your post, I was reminded of Funk O Metal Carpet Ride by The Electric Boys. Some cracking tunes on that
thumbsup.gif

The latest Faceless album I have not been able to stop listening to since it's release... A lot of Axe FX use going on here as well. Michael Keene is an amazing guitar player.

And also, The Contortionists first album, Exoplanet has been on my most frequently played for a long time as well. They are so ambient, melodic, but heavy as hell too.

These keep working themselves back into my rotation. Never get tired of them.

Toy Matinee - Toy Matinee
Arc Angels - Arc Angels
Robbie Robertsons first solo album.

I guess I gravitate to songwriters more than 'player' stuff.

I pretty much love everything on my ipod, so it's a hard question for me. Some of my fav albums are:

Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar
Coheed and Cambria - Year of the Black Rainbow
Metallica - ...And Justice for All
Pure Moods Vol 1
Creedance Clearwater Revival - Greatest Hits vol 1

As far as recent goes: Devin Townsend's Epicloud is amazing.

Right now the albums getting the most rotation in my car are:

The Action Design - Into A Sound/Never Say
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing, In Absentia and Fear of a Blank Planet

Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar to Pure Moods Vol

One of the reasons I like this group. You guys are as twisted as I am. Who in their right mind can go from Manson to Pure Moods? I love it. Oh, and a huge +1 to Toy Matine! A highly underrated album.

Like most I'll go through phases with what I listen to. Heavy to easy, no brainer pop to melt your brain fusion. Right now I'm in a more pop mode. Been checking out the Matchbox 20's catalog. Been stuck on Shinedown's "Us and Them" the last few weeks as well as Tedeschi Trucks Band "Revelator". Such a cool song off that album "learn how to love"

Back
Top Bottom