The addition of the FC6

Cmurph240

Can I admit to being super lazy rn and just go out and ask without doing any researxh

Can someone sell me on why I should compliment the 3 with the aforementioned stomp box?

It looked like fractal was compatible with only same brand foot switches for scrolling the menus and triggers of any kind

A simple two button external footswitch can greatly increase the functionality of the FM3. As asked already, do you need 6 more switches or will 2 be enough to do what you want?

6 would be too much for now. I think I assumed based on all the pictures of members fm3 kit, that maybe there was something else that it did specifically that other foot switches not of the fractal name couldn't. Lots of folks have them

A simple two button external footswitch can greatly increase the functionality of the FM3. As asked already, do you need 6 more switches or will 2 be enough to do what you want?

I have a simple AB footswitch, sounds like I'm in good shape then thanks

If not, if I can just use a simple AB box that's externally connected to the fm3, with midi connecting the workstation and the fm3 to set midi clock, I'll be fine I think. Just wanted to make sure I didn't have to get a fractal stomp box for an fm3, and can use what I have

Eventually I also want to work a korg monologue into the kit, it has a dope sequencer and can also be turned into an analog drum kit with some tweaking. Very versatile and wanna get that in the mix asap

Sounds to me that you want a MIDI controller rather than the FC. The FC only interfaces with the Fractal units while a MIDI controller works with any MIDI compatible gear.

While you could use the FC to send MIDI commands from the FM3, I think being able to do it directly is more flexible and also more long term solution.

Thanks! I was stumbling my way through trying to explain what I meant. Been up way too long, time to hit the sheets lol

If I can hook in external foot switches, ideally id like to do that and save the money.
This is where the old saying about being “penny wise and pound foolish” comes into play.

The Fractal FC units are not just switches, they are more like remote terminals for a computer, whereas what you propose would be like a remote keyboard only at best or a bank of switches at worst.

The FC plus Fractal’s layout manager make it easy to create flexible switching that integrates with your presets automatically and they can’t be appreciated until you have worked with them for a while. On the FM3 adding a FC6 opens up use of the OMG9 layout which is very powerful. The FC6 changes from displaying banks of presets, to the scenes in a preset, to the individual effect blocks and their state, to per-preset overrides, all based on the three switches on the FM3. It’s very easy but powerful.

If you don’t want to spend the money I’d recommend you look into the Morningstar or similar MIDI controllers. They don’t integrate as well, and throw more programming into your lap, but they can query the Fractal and get some information about its current state.

I’d recommend reading the Foot Controllers manuals along with the Wiki to get an idea what you are potentially losing going down the path you are proposing. I’m an ex-programmer from assembly language on up, did my own electronics for years, and there’s nothing I could have done to create a system like Fractal has put together. It’s that good.

MIDI controllers have improved their integration because the companies have written code that queries the Fractal units. That helps when setting them up but not if Fractal adds new MIDI functionality or new capabilities for their foot controllers. Then you have to wait for the companies to catch up. It’s all about how much work you want to do and whether you want to have Fractal be responsible for fixing problems or do you want to shoulder that burden? Either way it’s a great example of how flexible Fractal’s design and systems are, you get to pick your level of pain.

Last edited:
I got two of these $20 dual-footswitches.
Amazon product ASIN B08H1NQCGJOne is configured as preset up/down and the other is set up as tuner/wah. With the FM3 in OMG scene layout, it's been working great for our little cover band. I'd been thinking of the FC-6 but I don't see the point now that I have these two switches. $40...and done.

BTW...using a footswitch button as a wah when you only need one now and then works great. While it may not feel like my Fulltone Clyde, it sounds good enough and doesn't weigh 5 lbs.

Before the FCs were released, I became a power user of the Behringer FCB1010 to use with my Axe Fx III via MIDI. The 6 switches on the FC6 are super powerful and I ditched the FCB for the FC6. Then I got the FM3 and started using Bluetooth MIDI to control my setup via OnSong on my iPad, now even the 3 switches are more than enough when I gig. I think for jamming around at home where I don't have MIDI hooked up, I'd like an FC on the floor so the FM3 could be on my desk.

Before the FCs were released, I became a power user of the Behringer FCB1010 to use with my Axe Fx III via MIDI. The 6 switches on the FC6 are super powerful and I ditched the FCB for the FC6. Then I got the FM3 and started using Bluetooth MIDI to control my setup via OnSong on my iPad, now even the 3 switches are more than enough when I gig. I think for jamming around at home where I don't have MIDI hooked up, I'd like an FC on the floor so the FM3 could be on my desk.
Great feedback. I think I should be just fine for now. No gigging up here

Back
Top Bottom