The 30 most important guitar products of the last 30 years

"With a list of users that includes Steve Vai, John Petrucci, Jeff Loomis, Periphery's Misha Mansoor and countless others, Fractal's amp and FX-loaded guitar preamp is one of the most talked up pieces of equipment in recent years, and with good reason. Essential kit for the modern pro or serious amateur heavy rock guitarist whether on the road or in the studio. "

I REALLY think Cliff needs to pivot his marketing strategy. Even this article spins the Axe-Fx as a heavy distortion amp vs. the versatile amp modeler that it is.

... am I the only guitar player that doesn't use high gain with the Axe-fx?!

I bet over half the market doesn't even consider the axe-fx as a viable piece of gear in fears that its only for the "Heavy rock Guitarist".

I agree that it seems to be mostly favoured by high gain players.
You're right it's a shame.
It's probably due to the fact that it does high gain so friggin' well!
Anyway, well deserved Cliff to be on this list for whatever it's worth.

When I first heard about the axe fx II I started watching youtube videos. Searched for "axe fx II jazz/metal/blues/clean/light gain/etc.." I watched countless videos and demos for months before deciding I'd give digital a spin one more time.. took the chance and I'll never go tubes again.. unless I get super rich and just want to collect amps that is :D I wanted to browse demos to see how versatile it was before even thinking about buying it because I play more than hard rock/metal.

"With a list of users that includes Steve Vai, John Petrucci, Jeff Loomis, Periphery's Misha Mansoor and countless others, Fractal's amp and FX-loaded guitar preamp is one of the most talked up pieces of equipment in recent years, and with good reason. Essential kit for the modern pro or serious amateur heavy rock guitarist whether on the road or in the studio. "

I REALLY think Cliff needs to pivot his marketing strategy. Even this article spins the Axe-Fx as a heavy distortion amp vs. the versatile amp modeler that it is.

I bet over half the market doesn't even consider the axe-fx as a viable piece of gear in fears that its only for the "Heavy rock Guitarist".

Well it seems to me IMO that metal/rock guitarist are more open minded about trying it. Im not saying that other guys dont, because they do, but I know a lot of "traditional" guys dont even want to try it. But who cares; the Axe can only grow and get better.

Heavier players were the early adopters...and they are also more open minded (for the most part) about gear.

I used mine in worship for a long time and now use it in a modern country band and a cover band doing everything from modern country to classic rock to alternative to 80s rock.

I've yet to throw anything at it that it hasn't absolutely excelled at.

This list is about as accurate as those "Top 100 guitarist of all time" lists. No mention of major icons like Marshall JCM 800 series, Boogie Mark IIc+, Ibanez TS-9, Boss DD series digital delay pedals, Boss TU-2 pedal tuner, Elixir strings, EMG 80 series pickups, and on and on. Still a fun look back though.

It does seem like you get the blues country guys whose backs are broken so they want something lighter, and the uber tech-metal guys who want to tour the world with a consistent sound. There is this huge chasm in the middle when it comes to the appeal of the unit, it's bloody weird! Mine arrived last night, and I've only played it for 30minutes or so, but I have found it ridiculously easy to use and to get good sounds from so far!!

That's because you don't need too much talent or time to practice to create djent like riffs and shoot a video about it. So youtube is flooded with those.
Also, any tone will sound heavy with drop A.

This list is about as accurate as those "Top 100 guitarist of all time" lists. No mention of major icons like Marshall JCM 800 series, Boogie Mark IIc+, Ibanez TS-9, Boss DD series digital delay pedals, Boss TU-2 pedal tuner, Elixir strings, EMG 80 series pickups, and on and on. Still a fun look back though.

Well..not to argue, but the list is for the last 30 years... so post-1984 and most of the items in your list are before 1984:
• jcm800 - 1981
• TS9 - 1981
• Boogie Mark IIc+ - 1983
• DD2 - 1983
• EMG 81 - 1979

So maybe the boss tuner...but...well, its just a tuner, and elixir strings.

Single most important piece of gear I've purchased in over 40 years. Recently started playing again with a guy who I played with in the 70's. He's not played guitar for 30 years. I demo'd the AxeFxII for him and he couldn't believe it. I went through various guitar presets and then went to the Violin preset / Kind of Dream / and various others more exotic presets and the wheels were turning. He got very excited about the possibilities for performance and recording with the Axe. FWIW I am not a Hi Gain guy.

So true. I was close to buying a Kemper. Fractal's own adverts have the same effect as this article.

Maybe the high-gain crowd is more profitable??

Agreed. So often these lists are nonsense. The "best song" ones often have John Lennon's Imagine. It's not even John Lennon's best song. By a long way.

I agree 100% Tyler-Since my first ax, standard in 09 I have seen this. No hi gain here either (nothing against it of course, just that I don't use it)

Seems sad

So often these lists are nonsense
Indeed.
But no one can deny the Axe-Fx is a significant milestone.
No you're not.
I'm not using too much clean or crunch tones but I like a classic rock sound that cleans up nice when turning down the volume on the guitar.
And IMHO, this is where the Axe-Fx excels.
I like the flexibility of my Vetta but was looking to buy a tube amp when I stumbled upon this wonderful piece of kit.
I never looked back.

Well..not to argue, but the list is for the last 30 years... so post-1984 and most of the items in your list are before 1984:
• jcm800 - 1981
• TS9 - 1981
• Boogie Mark IIc+ - 1983
• DD2 - 1983
• EMG 81 - 1979

So maybe the boss tuner...but...well, its just a tuner, and elixir strings.

True, but sorta splitting hairs. I guess I just considered these items were all industry standards in the 80's and beyond. The TU-2 may be just a tuner, but sure wish I had a nickel for every one sold... Elixirs are just a blessing on an acoustic. I love the sound of good old plain phosophor-bronze strings, but they go dead if you just look at them too long. Never cared for them on electrics though. It's great to live in such a technologically rich time for musicians. So many fun toys for super cheap prices. Compared to what classical musicians spend on their kit, we get off easy.

Compared to what classical musicians spend on their kit, we get off easy.
OMG, tell me about it. I started learning classical a couple of years ago and I'm on my third nylon string. I just spent $1200 for a B-stock Cordoba, and that's low compared to what else is out there. A woman in my class spent several thousand on a nice used handmade guitar, but I'm not able to get to that point (yet, LOL). My teacher commented on the fact the electric players have it so good for being about to get a decent guitar for a few hundred bucks.

Back on topic, I'm glad to see the Axe-FX getting some recognition, even if it is kind of mis-represented. I admit my background is more of a high-gain metal kind of guy, but I really like what the Axe-FX does for the cleans and lower gain overdrive sounds as well. There are just so many options here that I can't imagine not being able to find whatever sound you want from this thing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom