The 25 Greatest Riffs of the 2010s Decade!

I'm assuming Cooper played each riff meticulously but I've never heard more than maybe two and I think they were on recent movie soundtracks in the back ground, behind dialog.

However, unlike the recent Led Zeppelin I and II list, I was getting dizzy because every other riff he changed into a another Music Man axe ( I think they are all Music Man). So I quit listening and started estimating how much it would cost to get same collection, what is that ~$15-18'ish K of axes on display?

When he did Led Zep I and II - I don't think he changed guitars at all- LOL

I get the same error message using Firefox on an iPad.
All browsers on iPadOS and iOS use the same WebKit rendering subsystem. It's just a skin on top of WebKit. Apple dictates this. So Chrome : Firefox : Safari on iOS and iPadOS.

Here are my picks for the 25 most iconic riffs of the 2010s, played 100% direct through the Axe-Fx III!

Great job! But how could Isolation not be number 1? :). And I'm sure if your list was a little longer we would have heard some Chevelle or Killswitch Engage. Seriously though, these lists are difficult in the Spotify age. It's not there isn't just as much great music being created, because there is. But, without the social force of radio of years past to forge a common cultural experience among a wide swath of society, there isn't that much shared musical experience any more. With the fragmentation of the listening experience that comes with Spotify, it's increasingly difficult to name current songs that all your friends have heard. Without that, these lists just aren't as compelling as lists from prior decades.

It's your browser (Safari) -- click on the video title and watch it in a new tab.

Thx Ian! Strange because it launched with no issue right from where Cooper posted it at TGP but was not able to do so from here.

Must be a firmware issue!!!!! ;):):):)

The only glaring exception from this list is Marigold, otherwise pretty spot on. This correlates highly with the songs my students have wanted to learn over the last decade, so will done for casting a wide net!

This was fun and a great production as always.

Perhaps unlike a number of others in the community here, I recognized most of the songs (35 years old, so in a tweener phase but still keeping up with new stuff decently). I don't think you left too many glaring things off the list as it might be perceived by most people still trying to keep up with new music these days. Unfortunately I personally believe this past decade has been incredibly disappointing for guitar/instrument centric music that is still picked up by a reasonable number of people out there. This has been an evolving trend with music that has been getting worse and worse over the years. As time progresses the diamonds in the rough have continued to get more difficult to find, especially with the continued loss of commercialization of new rock and metal music. As a big fan of the post grunge, alternative metal, and harder alternative rock eras, I am afraid of getting skunked in the 2020's.

Anyway, for me, some omissions from my personal preferences were;

• Black Keys (4 albums over the past decade)
  • Chevelle (3 albums over the past decade)
  • Muse (3 albums over the past decade, at least 1 more song could have made the list, not as great of material as the past, but Psycho was a glaring one)

Oh and thank you for keeping things like Imagine Dragons, Panic at the Disco, Fallout Boy, and Nickelback off of the list.

I respect everyone’s individual taste for music, but IMHO the recognition value of music of the last decades has dropped dramatically towards 0. I seriously doubt that a mentionable portion of todays “music” will be sought after in just a couple of years from now, not to even think about decades from now. The exceptionalism of the likes of Zeppelin, Stones, Hendriks, Aerosmith, ZZ Top, Rush, Pink Floyd, Eagles, Van Halen, Robin Trower and Black Sabbath just to mention a fraction of what evolved in just the 70’s – 80’s, for me have a recognition value of 100%.
The majority of the 21st century productions I would categorize as “Fast-food-music”, it can be eaten but it sure as shit is missing that wow-effect.
But what the hell do I know; I turned 61 yesterday, just another old-school-fart!

Great playing and great tones Cooper. I didn't recognize 3/4 of them but nice to see Foo Fighters and "As Is" from VH. And the last Big Wreck album (But for the Sun) could have a half dozen by itself. A definite omission. Thornley is a monster.

Happy New Year!

Also, a Fractal artist, so 👍🏻 to TSwift.
Really. Her personally, or a band member? She doesn’t seem to have made the Official list yet.
..... if you tell us you got to tweak her unit up close and personal, I will buy your online course a second time, (maybe not, but my envy meter would redline..)

Sounded great Cooper and I recognized them all, even though I'm old. But I pride myself to keep up with current music because of Grand Kids. :)
And my metal head Son said Kudos to nick's video

+1 for including an AAL song but -1 for playing the thumping part with a pick and using the pitch shifter instead of an appropriately tuned guitar ;)

Slow decade when Taylor Swift shows up in a "Top Riffs" list lol.
Well, the description in the OP that these are the "most iconic riffs" is way more fitting than the somewhat clickbaity video title of "greatest guitar riffs". I think the intention is more to have a list of songs that the average person on the street might know than to focus on the best guitar players and songs of the decade. As I don't listen to radio or watch music television I don't know most of the songs (or even half of the bands) on the list either.

But I think it has been a great decade for guitar focused music. If I had to do a selection of the most amazing guitar riffs and songs, it would include the likes of Plini, Polyphia, Jakub Zytecki, David Maxim Micic, Intervals, Animals As Leaders, Arch Echo, Protest the Hero, VOLA, Cynic, Chronicles of Israfel, and many more. And that's mostly just a selection of young artists from one corner of metal/progressive music, missing a ton of great releases from other genres. Ironically, if I had to choose a single best song of the last decade it would be Move by Hiromi, which does not even feature a guitar at all... apparently Kaki King got it right when she sang "the best instrument in the world is still the piano" 🙃

Nice joke at the end! Great to hear how you started from factory presets for the tones. I think a lot of people write them off, but there are some really good base presets in the factory set.

Show me an artist who did more to keep guitar in the youth public consciousness at large, the Top 40, and the band for a stadium touring act, and I'll agree.

Just about anybody on YouTube with a following playing guitar that uploads at a regular rate really.

Sure, Taylor Swift has reach and her songs are widely known and celebrated. Can't think of too many folks, besides you, who equate her, her music, and her live show with keeping the guitar in the youth public consciousness at large. My wife and my kids (18, 6, and 2) all listen to and love Taylor Swift. None of them could identify a Taylor Swift guitar riff. I'd argue that's the case with a good chunk of her fans as it really isnt guitar driven/centered music.

My comment was pretty tongue-in-cheek as I don't have a problem with Taylor Swift. But yeah, if her music is whats passing for "iconic" guitar parts then I will stand by my comment of it being a slow decade for iconic guitar parts. It's all subject to taste anyway. What makes a guitar part iconic is going to vary from person to person. Who knows, maybe in 40 years Taylor Swifts riffs will be the next Smoke On The Water. I won't hold my breath ;)

Back
Top Bottom