The 20 Greatest Led Zeppelin I & II Moments played on the Axe-Fx III

The pack is definitely worthwhile and with these few tweaks I feel it breathes some life into the presets.

Appreciate very much that compliment Cliff! Those suggestions above would definitely help a user get the sound Jimmy Page heard coming out his amp when playing in the studio for these tunes.

To be clear, our goal here was not just for that amp in studio room, but also to replicate the signal chain sound of guitar-cab-mic-console-EQ/compression then slamming to tape with pans, to get to the final recorded album sound. So as explanation, that's why we included those blocks/elements, matching with A/B tests to final tape stems etc.

For the TonePack's included mono (live use) preset versions of each tune, maybe a future update will incorporate your helpful suggestions - totally agree they could be even more fun to play with the rawer amp tone!

Nice job, but I would have liked to heard the songs from the first album demo'd using a telecaster since Jimmy Page mainly used a telecaster for that album.
So you know, when we dialed the presets in, we did use a nice Tele with a real '68 neck with Lollar vintage-style pickups... plus an awesome Les Paul with PAFs, and real Gibson Doubleneck 12-strong for the later albums (the Page one, limited issue), along with a replica Rickenbacker 12 string with split coil Filtertrons (mainly) along with a Strat 12 string for the earlier albums.

There are detailed notes included in the Brit Rock Royalty TonePack #1 that tell you for each preset's scene:

1) what guitar to use
2) what pickup setting (and if he switches during the scene/part)
3) what volume setting and
4) what tone control setting.

Those guitar choice/settings can be an essential part of nailing the tone 100%. Mr. Page is constantly manipulating these variables to pull out the tone he wanted. There are 150 different scenes/tones covering the 36+ songs on those four albums.

To me, the most amazing thing is the Axe-Fx III. Using it's tools, we could literally get a spot-on identical sound to a recorded, vintage iconic guitar tone, taking into account the entire signal chain. It was uncanny and freaky - at times we literally would get spooked by hearing our version along side the original. All those amazing Fractal Audio tools, things like the compression and preamp-simulation in the cab block, or floor/hall reflections, reverb types, were helpful if not essential.

The Axe-FX III truly RULES!!! We've never had it so good!

Appreciate very much that compliment Cliff! Those suggestions above would definitely help a user get the sound Jimmy Page heard coming out his amp when playing in the studio for these tunes.

To be clear, our goal here was not just for that amp in studio room, but also to replicate the signal chain sound of guitar-cab-mic-console-EQ/compression then slamming to tape with pans, to get to the final recorded album sound. So as explanation, that's why we included those blocks/elements, matching with A/B tests to final tape stems etc.

For the TonePack's included mono (live use) preset versions of each tune, maybe a future update will incorporate your helpful suggestions - totally agree they could be even more fun to play with the rawer amp tone!
If you are trying to achieve amp > cab > compressor > tape then you need to change the order around. You have a Drive block (ostensibly to mimic tape distortion) after the Amp and before the Cab block. That's partly why it sounds a bit dull. The tape distortion adds high end but putting before the cab block filters out those highs.

The correct sequence would be:
Amp > Cab > Compressor > Drive

The way I would do it is simply Amp -> Cab and use the compressor in the Amp block and one of the tape simulations in the Cab block.

Here are 20 of my favorite moments from Led Zeppelin I (my all-time favorite album) and II, played through FW 11.
I'm using the amazing presets from @austinbuddy's latest Brit Rock Royalty Preset Pack, which is available for purchase. Studio accurate tones for every Jimmy Page part on Led Zeppelins I through IV!
Part II coming soon with my 20 favorite moments from LZ III & IV.

Good job

No more Genelecs in your studio?

Damn this is hot!

2 questions @austinbuddy :

1. Is there going to be a volume 2 with Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti, Presence, & In Through the Out Door?
2. Are there going to be companion bass presets coming out for these packs?

Great job, as a Page fanatic I say this!

Yes we plan to do Brit Rock Royalty TonePack #2 in spring 2020 covering the next 5 or so albums. There are a few bass presets included (as a bonus) in the TonePack. Those and a few more JPJ and others were made originally for the 200+ Bass Tonepack that is available for AX8 and Axe-Fx Mark II/Original and XL/XL+, but I haven't ported that TonePack (which @dr bonkers generously let us use some of his excellent 8x10 Marshall bass cab IRs to do two custom IR mixes for) over into am Axe-Fx III version yet, but am planning to. Thanks Mike!

Back
Top Bottom