The 100w jump plexi in the Axe

aziz

Power User
I've only recently tried this in a band setting, I haven't cared for it too much for recording or home use. My previous allround rock patch for band use is/was JCM800.

!!!!!!

What the hell is this thing?!?! It growls like the heaviest high gain monsters, only more audible and useable because of the proper mids, gives useable clean with guitar volume knob, and sounds like million dollars. The recto or 5150 patches feel a bit silly after this. "Naa, take a listen to THIS! The sound of ROCK!"

I owned an early 70's JMP for a while and it had no useable tones for me at all, and it was so loud that I was afraid to play it, the guitar might disintegrate.

Do these things really exist in real life outside Axe?! Only tweak I'd need is the vol pot -clean to be a little darker, I guess I could do that by fiddling with brightness and dynamic presence, so that everything is darker, but loud playing is brighter and therefore the same as now. I've spent the last few days at the band practise basement playing with drummer and another guitarist who uses a Marshall JVM half stack. I have my CLR , and we are at ridiculous volumes (like 10 on the real Marshall) and having fun! I have new earplugs on the shopping list though...

Last edited:
Yeah it's a beast for sure!

That is the amp I would use to demonstrate the power of the Axe FX to the doubters - it's just so excellent.

My go to amp. I use this amp for auditioning cabs.

Gain 6 , everything else 10. Bright switch on.
Low freq res 8

Cab null, proxi 2
Pick through the high res cabs

When you found what you liked, add parallel reverb max input, 50% mix.
Add paralell delay with same settings.
Add multicomp to the emd of the chain.

Tadaaa

Yeah it's a beast for sure!

That is the amp I would use to demonstrate the power of the Axe FX to the doubters - it's just so excellent.

I did the same, with my incredulous band mates. No one gave me any shit after the arrival of that one. Period.

That amp addition (as wells as others at the time) was a real historical game-changer for me. I felt the unit had really matured nicely at this point... Now it's just one pleasant surprise after another.

Low freq res 8

Cab null, proxi 2

Tadaaa

Now wait a minute.. I've seen you get a lot more involved than that to get to "tadaaa".. :eagerness:

Sounds like I need to give this one a spin. I have been stuck on the JCM800 as my main amp. I use a drive block with it.

Are you guys using a Drive in front of the jumpered plexi's?

Levipeto,
I really like the tones you create.
Do you have this simple preset on exchange or can you post it? It's the parallel stuff I have trouble with.

Thanks

Low freq res 8

Cab null, proxi 2

Tadaaa

I use this amp almost exclusively in the classic rock cover band I play in. It does it all for me. I sometimes wonder if I should be auditioning other amps but no - it sounds brilliant. NL212 cab & matrix amp :)

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

Low freq res 8

Cab null, proxi 2

Tadaaa

Tadaaa is right!!! Thanks for this! :encouragement:

I have new earplugs on the shopping list though...

Get the custom made musician's ear plugs. They cost a lot more but are soooooo worth the money because they sound so much better than any over the counter plugs I tried. Plus, your hearing is priceless!

Marshalls have always been my favorite model in the Axe II. On version 5 through 7 I was hooked on the 1987, then the JTM 45, then the Plexis. Pretty much anything works now with the Ultra IR's.

Low freq res 8

Cab null, proxi 2

Tadaaa

would you share tips on multicomp settings that work for you?
Thanks

I just use the default settings.
I use the preset without the multicomp for organic sound and with it for jamming with backingtrack s

Last edited:
how accurate to the original is the gain? the model on the A2 seems to have more gain than I think of when I think old plexi's otherwise seems like no one would've been getting mods done.

Back
Top Bottom