The 10 Best High-Gain Factory Presets

Hello Cooper,
When FM3 master class is expected?
In addition, any discount available for both Axe FxIII and FM3?

@ccroyalsenders Do you have any tips for preventing string noise from my fingers? You're tones sound great in the video but the thing I noticed most was that you don't get any string noise from your fingers sliding against the strings. It doesn't sound like you're lifting your fingers off the strings because I don't hear any wonky open strings, so not sure what your secret is. You even do some slides up and down the neck with no string noise but when I do the same thing it sounds almost like a pick slide.

I've tried tons of different guitars, strings, pickups, string cleaners/conditioners, hand lotion, powder, Musician Practice Glove, finger fretting techniques, high Q EQ cuts and the comp and multiband comp as a de-esser but always get plagued with screeching string noises from my fingers sliding against the strings. With high gain it almost sounds like feedback between each note and ruins all my recordings.

@ccroyalsenders Do you have any tips for preventing string noise from my fingers? You're tones sound great in the video but the thing I noticed most was that you don't get any string noise from your fingers sliding against the strings. It doesn't sound like you're lifting your fingers off the strings because I don't hear any wonky open strings, so not sure what your secret is. You even do some slides up and down the neck with no string noise but when I do the same thing it sounds almost like a pick slide.

I've tried tons of different guitars, strings, pickups, string cleaners/conditioners, hand lotion, powder, Musician Practice Glove, finger fretting techniques, high Q EQ cuts and the comp and multiband comp as a de-esser but always get plagued with screeching string noises from my fingers sliding against the strings. With high gain it almost sounds like feedback between each note and ruins all my recordings.

Fingers as close to the fretboard as I can manage during large position shifts 😬 and careful muting. I'm essentially always muting something or other with some part of my right hand.

I'm not complaining or criticizing, but after watching this, I pulled up the Petrucci Rig factory preset, and with my EJ strat, it was tinny, super harsh, unusable, all scenes.

Just goes to show, everybody's situation is different.

I'm not complaining or criticizing, but after watching this, I pulled up the Petrucci Rig factory preset, and with my EJ strat, it was tinny, super harsh, unusable, all scenes.

Just goes to show, everybody's situation is different.

That's funny because I was playing these yesterday and thinking that the stock settings rolled off a little too much of the highs for my tastes. The guitar, the player, the monitoring solution, and the room all make significant differences.

That's funny because I was playing these yesterday and thinking that the stock settings rolled off a little too much of the highs for my tastes. The guitar, the player, the monitoring solution, and the room all make significant differences.
If had my stuff together better I'd post a clip, hopefully at some point.

Just to bump this one up a bit, I just got my Axe FX III set up over the weekend (had to get a FRFR monitor to play it) and played around with some of these. I like the more high-gain options of the last couple, and the Uber Chugga 2 sounds appealing in theory. However, that and the Djentleman seem a bit dry or, as I saw somebody online describe the Recto 2 Red, a bit more clinical.

I guess I'm looking for a preset or way to set things up so it can be a really high gain amp sound while still retaining maybe a more organic tone. I haven't tweaked things much; would it make more sense to play with combining different amps that are more conducive to that (perhaps adding in an OD, Rat, or Boss HM-2 type for that Entombed- or grindcore-sort of sound), play with the settings of the Uber Chugga 2 preset, or is there another preset that would match what I'm describing?

I've also thought of creating a two-amp preset mixing one of the higher-gain amps with a Vox or Fender-style and creating different scenes to cover clean-to-metal along with a drive/boost for leads. That's why I was wondering if mixing in a Vox or Bassman in lieu of the Recto Red and keeping the Engl Powerball (or maybe trying a hot Plexi amp setting instead) might add a sweeter dimension I'm looking for. Then adding additional scenes might give me a bit more range to play with.

Any thoughts?

Just to bump this one up a bit, I just got my Axe FX III set up over the weekend (had to get a FRFR monitor to play it) and played around with some of these. I like the more high-gain options of the last couple, and the Uber Chugga 2 sounds appealing in theory. However, that and the Djentleman seem a bit dry or, as I saw somebody online describe the Recto 2 Red, a bit more clinical.

I guess I'm looking for a preset or way to set things up so it can be a really high gain amp sound while still retaining maybe a more organic tone. I haven't tweaked things much; would it make more sense to play with combining different amps that are more conducive to that (perhaps adding in an OD, Rat, or Boss HM-2 type for that Entombed- or grindcore-sort of sound), play with the settings of the Uber Chugga 2 preset, or is there another preset that would match what I'm describing?

I've also thought of creating a two-amp preset mixing one of the higher-gain amps with a Vox or Fender-style and creating different scenes to cover clean-to-metal along with a drive/boost for leads. That's why I was wondering if mixing in a Vox or Bassman in lieu of the Recto Red and keeping the Engl Powerball (or maybe trying a hot Plexi amp setting instead) might add a sweeter dimension I'm looking for. Then adding additional scenes might give me a bit more range to play with.

Any thoughts?
Try everything!
Costs nothing but a bit of time...

Back
Top Bottom