That's it folks, time to fold up the tent

P

plexi59

https://openai.com/blog/musenet/

Towards the end of the page, check out this thing improvising over Rondo Alla Turca. Very impressive. Guitar should be safe for now though as there are no "MIDI recordings" of it, so this thing can't currently learn it, but jazz is in danger already IMO.

for me, music is about the experience, not the result.

i think this is a step in the right direction, honestly. there will always be people creating what machines cannot. i don't see this as too different from current electronic music and loop-based songs where people drag and drop previously created snippets to "write a song."

fortunately, what a machine can do has no bearing on what i get out of playing music myself.

True, but most people don't really give a shit where music comes from. In fact, I fail to even recognize "music" at all in a substantial fraction chart-topping hits. It's basically just drums and some dude mumbling something about "money" and "hoes". I'd be happy to see that automated, and perhaps even improved upon, by throwing in a little Rachmaninoff between the beats. :)

I've said it in the other AI music thread, AI is evil, not because it will become Skynet and take over the world, but because it destroys the meaning we humans get from the things we do. I firmly believe that we get meaning and definition from overcoming struggle and adversity. Something given to us has no value. And even the lowliest shittiest job has meaning to the poor sod who does it, if only if it helps him or her feed themselves and their family.

Researching AI is a fun intellectual exercise for its creators, but for the people who will lose their jobs over it its not. Pop music is already dreadful enough, but in the past it was at least 100% human created. Do we really want the record labels to go, hmmm, now we no longer need those pesky artists, engineers and songwriters any more. Cut out the middle men, enter even more profit?

I'm not too concerned about AIs creating noise. People will soon get bored and look for something new and that's where humans come into play again. What about the next punk rock revolution ? Do we expect it to be spawned by an AI ? I don't.

Band in a box has been around a long time (and similar apps). I'm sure they can be writing/composing tools but you don't hear much about them in the pro world. More a novelty imo.

It's like a chef cooking a great meal and someone else heating up a frozen dinner. Some people will definitely notice the difference and some won't or don't care.

Many people don't seem mindful of what they consume anymore. Be it music, food, information or interaction with other people. It just has to have that slight familiar element we can accept without much effort. Look at how we've accepted all the artificial coloring and flavoring in our food. Maybe this will be the music of the future? :eek:

Yeah, I dunno. I've been aware of this for a long time. It just sounds like computer generated stuff to me. Hey, virtual instruments have been making the sounds and the beats for a long time now anyway. Musicians have given up their creative license to computer programmers long ago. But that HUMAN spirit isn't present in any of those examples. The human BEING creates that spark of intuition and emotion, aesthetic vision. The human programmers created algorithms that guestimate previous HUMAN musical art and gave it a range of choices based on what has previously been done and deemed GOOD. Nothing special except to acknowledge that a lot of hard work was done to prove what machines can do. But when it comes down to it it's all 0s and 1s. It will only output what has been inputted and given a certain range of choices.

https://openai.com/blog/musenet/

Towards the end of the page, check out this thing improvising over Rondo Alla Turca. Very impressive. Guitar should be safe for now though as there are no "MIDI recordings" of it, so this thing can't currently learn it, but jazz is in danger already IMO.

Interesting... Sounds like playing at about the high-school orchestra / band level. Not bad for a emerging technology.

This brings up some interesting questions around copyright - if I generate a composed piece, do I get the copyright or does the algorithm get it?

This is also a flashback to about 30 years ago when I was programming using NeXT's "MusicKit" and an algorithmic composition engine called "Ensemble" http://www.mcnabb.com/music/pubs/ensemble.html. It was actually quite good at creating songs.

Interesting. I haven't seen anyone come with a Robert Johnson, Howlin' Wolf, or B.B. King A.I. music program yet...

The thing about this that makes it different from "band in a box" is it's not actually pre-programmed with anything. It learned all of this from MIDI and its generation is not based on a hardcoded pattern or algorithm. That's why you hear some decidedly "human" improvisation moves in Rondo Alla Turca, and if I didn't tell you it was a deep learning system, you'd 100% say it's a human improvising. And the more data you give to it, the better it gets.

This is a variant of the model that OpenAI refused to release a couple of months back. That one generates news text based on a prompt that looks so believable, you wouldn't be able to tell if it's written by a human or not until a few sentences in when you'd discover shit's made up. But there is a large number of people who will just believe whatever they read on Facebook, hence the danger.

Researching AI is a fun intellectual exercise for its creators, but for the people who will lose their jobs over it its not. Pop music is already dreadful enough, but in the past it was at least 100% human created. Do we really want the record labels to go, hmmm, now we no longer need those pesky artists, engineers and songwriters any more. Cut out the middle men, enter even more profit?

I expect we are maybe a decade from needing actors in movies. Wild ass guess of course, but they have been selling the 3D movie rights to long dead actors for many years now...I was reading about it in the 80s...so that when the tech improved enough, you could see John Wayne or Grace Kelly in a movie again. AI will already produce exceptionally realistic faces of people that don't exist. https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/ Once the motion characteristics get better, you won't need actors. You already don't need sets. Just eliminate the green screens, actors, set people, sound, all of it.

Last edited:
Yes I rather see ad hoc music done by real live musicians on the spot than pre-arranged concerts. As for computer generated music, a lot of pop is so calculated already so I see the death of pop songwriters with the advent of AI and machine learning music generation. The population would not notice the difference.

I expect we are maybe a decade from needing actors in movies. Wild ass guess of course, but they have been selling the 3D movie rights to long dead actors for many years now...I was reading about it in the 80s...so that when the tech improved enough, you could see John Wayne or Grace Kelly in a movie again. AI will already produce exceptionally realistic faces of people that don't exist. https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/ Once the motion characteristics get better, you won't need actors. You already don't need sets. Just eliminate the green screens, actors, set people, sound, all of it.
I read a great book years ago about a future where actors were eventually all replaced by AI.

Eventually, they became "celebrities" and people followed them as we do with current celebrities and TV shows like Extra, etc. There were interviews, tours of their homes and toys (ala Cribs), etc.

Ultimately they were all actually produced by the same, super powerful AI which had become self-aware and was orchestrating nefarious stuff all the while.

Don't remember the book title...

The footage I've seen of hologram concerts is one reason why I think its a ways off. The Dio footage looked horrible.

They said the same thing about modeling when the Red Bean first came out. And look where we are now. Technology marches on.

Yes I rather see ad hoc music done by real live musicians on the spot than pre-arranged concerts. As for computer generated music, a lot of pop is so calculated already so I see the death of pop songwriters with the advent of AI and machine learning music generation. The population would not notice the difference.

That's just a matter of a generation or two. Remember the advent of the internet or the smartphone? Us oldtimers know how it used to be beforehand, the current generation only knows how it is today. The same it will be with digital musicians and actors. At least there will be one bright spot, no more insufferable celebrities with their insufferable politics. That at least will make it almost worth it.

Human emotion expressed in music is irreplaceable.

Even composing EDM can be a cool experience. Not the same as play an instrument in real time, but a neat process driven by a human with a goal.

Yes I never understood the charm of going to a three-day event and watching one person hunked over a laptop like reading emails while the way to get it spiced is to turn on lights and rockets every five minutes.... Guess it shows my age, such as seeing U2 first time at a smaller concert 1982 and be awestruck.

Back
Top Bottom