that's an order!

does anyone know what the thing is on the head? not the glasses, but the golden (?) thingie on the head of the guitar :) between the nut string lock and the tuners? never seen that device before. BOSS advertising? oh.. well BOSS, Dunlop, you name it - it's about the order of the effects. BOSS is just the medium to get the message trough :D as I see of it :p (ok it's an advert but don't go there :p think of it as inspiration for how to place effects in the axe-fx II :) built in effects that is.. not placing BOSS products in front of the axe-fx. ew.

Yeah, this is a Boss advertorial.

BTW, I believe that what Vai says at around 12:45 ("I would normally put delay before distortion"), is exactly the opposite of what he wants to say and what is considered the best order.

is it disrespectful of me to post what in objectivity is a BOSS advertorial? my intention was to share inspiration on the order of effect pedals regardless of wich pedals are being used and not show off BOSS products. can't we all see of the video as a whole and not focus on products but how to use whatever product? I guess on a forum about a specific product everything can be seen of as competition. it's sad really, but I guess also kind of understandable from a sellers point of view. you may delete this video if found impropriate. I don't even like BOSS. I love fractal audio systems and do what I can to promote it to everyone I know. peace :)

I watched the video (before it was posted here) and I thought it was way to much of just playing around, with comments like - this is how I typically do it, almost always backed up with - you can try it the other way and maybe you like it.

I would have expected something like this would be much more of A/B testing. Here’s Overdrive into Delay, here’s Delay into Overdrive, followed by commentary like - listen to how the delay trails are distorting, now listen to the first one again, ...

Also, no problems at all if they had started the video with - if you just want some solid advice as a good starting point what most people are doing, here’s what I recommend that you do… Before deep-diving into different scenarios.

So even as an advertorial, I think it lacked substance.

I watched the video (before it was posted here) and I thought it was way to much of just playing around, with comments like - this is how I typically do it, almost always backed up with - you can try it the other way and maybe you like it.

I would have expected something like this would be much more of A/B testing. Here’s Overdrive into Delay, here’s Delay into Overdrive, followed by commentary like - listen to how the delay trails are distorting, now listen to the first one again, ...

Also, no problems at all if they had started the video with - if you just want some solid advice as a good starting point what most people are doing, here’s what I recommend that you do… Before deep-diving into different scenarios.

So even as an advertorial, I think it lacked substance.
What he said. All of it. Including the weird comment on the delay placement. And that it looks like they didn't have anything like a plan. Which seems out of character for Vai. He always comes across like he has a plan, except here...

The order of effects in your pedal chain is a big factor in combined effects guitar sound.

1st Germanium Fuzz Had to start off with this as germanium fuzz pedals are so incredibly sensitive to what goes into them. So if you have a germanium transistor Fuzz Face or Tone Bender type fuzz pedal, start off with it right at the front of your chain. It may not end up here, but hear it first with just your guitar going straght in.

2nd Envelope Filter and Tone Shaping Effects.
These include Auto Wahs and Wah pedals. These effects rely on the dynamics of your guitar tone and should be the first thing you signal sees.

3rd Phasers/Vibes/Flangers This might sound a bit unusual, but try it. Phasers work so great going into gain stages such as OD's or preamps. Flangers can work great at the end of the chain but for that Van Halen type flanger tone, it needs to go right at the front before the OD's

4th Compression Compression can work well with a variety of different pedals, so best to have it close to the front.

5th Overdrives, Distortions and Fuzz's
And in that order. If you go from the least amount of drive to the greatest amount of drive you can get some pretty cool combinations. A low gain pedal can be a great solo boost into a higher gain pedal, but the other way around can often spell disaster. There is one major exception to this rule - Germanium Transistor boosters such as Fuzz Faces, Octavias and treble boosters. The nature of the design of these effects means that they don't like to see the buffer from another pedal at the input. They prefer to see the guitar pickup. So if you have one of these type of pedals, best to stick it at the front before any buffers.

6th Modulation Effects
These include chorus and tremolos. It can also include flangers, but I personally prefer them right at the front with phasers. The specific order of the modulation effects is probably the least important as you rarely use more than one at a time and if you do is more a sound effect than a toneful combination.

7th Delay effects
A good rule of thumb here if you use multiple delay effects is to put your short delay before your long delay. Adding a nice drawn out delay on top of a slap back effect can sound quite cool.

8th and finally Reverb
Technically speaking, reverb is actually a delay effect. Very short delays combined to give the effect of being in an enclosed space. Think about what happens when you shout in a hall. That's the delayed sound of your voice bouncing of the walls. Leaving this effect till last works well with many different combinations including clean and dirty sounds.

Again find the sounds and combinations that work for you.

Back
Top Bottom