That didn't suck- Artists with crazy good tone through Fractal products

The guy I bought my Axe-FX II from said that it was originally owned by Dweezil and he used it in the studio when he recorded one of his albums. No idea if it's true or not, but I saved all of the custom presets that were on it for posterity.
You ever try any of them?..if it was one of DZ’s touring axes, many of his presets were designed for 2 AxeFxs in stereo mode, so you are getting half of the full signal.. some of us found that out the hard way when we purchased his preset pack (for far too much $$ IMO) he offered thru a Pledge Music campaign...

You ever try any of them?..if it was one of DZ’s touring axes, many of his presets were designed for 2 AxeFxs in stereo mode, so you are getting half of the full signal.. some of us found that out the hard way when we purchased his preset pack (for far too much $$ IMO) he offered thru a Pledge Music campaign...
I never really spent much time with any of them. I remember a lot of them sounding 'weird' - not surprising for Dweezil... they were sounds that I would not be likely to use in my day-to-day playing. Since the Frac was so new to me it was hard to figure out what was a custom preset and what was factory. I ended up just saving them all individually and then resetting the unit to factory.

Personally, the fact that a well-known artist is using Fractal units live isn't a huge selling point. The convenience is an obvious driving factor and a number of them additionally claim they're using their endorsed signature amps and oftentimes their tone is not what it once was in their heyday. Acts like Periphery or Devin Townsend who've used them on albums is more impressive in my book.

Ghost and the others mentioned here and not sure if they still use them but one of the Beatle bands
had axe fx and used it the entire set but they had to cover it up at his feet with something to block the view from audience..
thats been awhile.. I love my axe 2 still..not a pro touring musician but through the PA direct I have every sound I want and the vocals set right above that to sing so if I did get the opportunity then it would sound right at least...

I can spot one Axe-FX III, one Axe-FX II and one Kemper at the NAONのYAON 2019

Saki (Mary's Blood) is playing with the III. She's got a good tone. I think that the lady with the explorer is using the II

Last edited:
Is he still relegated to a far too short segment...? (While allowing Zakk to wank aimlessly thru the audience...)
No Zakk this time. Both Eric Johnson and Joe Satriani were featured heavily.

Dweezil was IMO definitely treated more as support player. He opened the show and came back out a few times with others that were more in the spotlight.

Highlights for me were EJ and Jonny Lang. Both were stellar!

The ending lineup was dUg Pinnick, Satriani and Kenny Aranoff. They kicked everything up a notch. Unfortunately, for my tastes (and I'm a really big Satch fan) there was too much of the high pitched squeals and pointing to the sky compared to actually making music when the vocals stopped. Very bombastic!

Calvin Cooke and Chuck Campbell from The Slide Bothers (I'm not familiar with their work) were amazing on lap and pedal steel respectively.

Chris Layton appears unchanged since his days with SRV - looks exactly the same. He played behind everyone until Aranoff came out. He seemed to be somewhat bored all night.

Back
Top Bottom