That Darn Fletcher Munson!

Finally figured out why my FM3 was not as aurally exciting as my Axe III.

I/O output 1 level set at +4 dBu on Axe III

I/O output 1 level set at -10dBu on FM3

:mad:

Yeah I'm not sure that default is great as most of the users will connect it to studio monitors, which, if I'm not understood, are actually +4

The Owner's Manual says "If you are connecting to professional-grade equipment operating at +4dBu..."

How do you know if you have "professional-grade" equipment (aren't all studio monitors and cabinets "professional grade"??) and how do you know if it operates at +4dBu?

If only it were that easy and every manufacturer included that info. I haven't been able to find it for my Mission Gemini.
If the manufacturer won't tell you what level their product is expecting, then you experiment and find out what works best.

The Owner's Manual says "If you are connecting to professional-grade equipment operating at +4dBu..."

How do you know if you have "professional-grade" equipment (aren't all studio monitors and cabinets "professional grade"??) and how do you know if it operates at +4dBu?
-10dBu is instrument level. So anything you would plug your guitar straight into (front of an amp, most pedals, etc.) +4 dBu is line level. So anything that needs a preamp (power amp, studio monitors, PA speakers, etc.)

-10dBu is instrument level. So anything you would plug your guitar straight into (front of an amp, most pedals, etc.) +4 dBu is line level. So anything that needs a preamp (power amp, studio monitors, PA speakers, etc.)
1) It's not "-10 dBu." It's -10 dBV.

2) -10 dBV is not instrument level. It's line level that's common in consumer audio gear.

Back
Top Bottom