Thank you for this beautiful piece of sorcery!

Doug Notter

Inspired
It's been a few months now and I just wanted to stop by and say that if my Axe-Fx III was a human female I would thee wed. You know what... it's 2019 I might just get away with it anyway.

Seriously wtf is in this thing? Gandolph the Gray in there conjuring amps in real time or something I suspect. I've been a tube amp fanatic since the late 80's and still have a Mesa Tremoverb sitting next to me but this thing... I haven't spent this many hours playing guitar since the 90's and that's simply the highest praise I can give. It just has that magic. It's SO freaking responsive to touch it's just unreal. Especially once you start tweaking the pitch follower and envelope follower then all kinds of subtle but holy s*%t stuff starts happening. I'm making up words like eargasmic to describe it to people.

My hands hurt. My wallet might not be too happy still (it will recover lol). But I'm smiling man. I took basically 20 years away from playing on any regular basis. I have really bad tinnitus and the tube amps I love so much are fatiguing to be in a room with for long, even at low volume where most of them fail to hit their sweet spots. With this I can get amazing tones, tones for freaking days, at apartment level volume. What's more the sound coming out of my studio monitors is far, far less fatiguing to my worn out ears which is allowing me to simply sit here and enjoy playing guitar again. For the first time in two decades. I missed it. A hell of a lot more than I realized and I just wanted to thank you crazy geniuses for creating such an amazing piece of gear. If I knew then what I know now I'd have been willing to pay double for this. It's been like a reunion with an old friend and I can't even put a price on it.

Shout out as well to @2112 Leon Todd who's YouTube channel not only was the last little push off the fence I needed to get my first modeling amp (the III is my cherry burster) but also for all the top notch tutorials. Thank you for all the work you do on the channel it's indispensable to a modeling newbie just learning one for the first time. I saw Fractal posted a poll on Facebook recently asking people what artist inspired people to get an Axe-FX III and I saw your name repeatedly being mentioned in some very esteemed company. Congrats on that. It must have been a very flattering/humbling moment. Cheers dude it's well deserved.

Sincerely,

-Me.

Yeah, Leon hooked me, too. Everything he demoed on the 3 sounded so good, I didn't even wait to see a video demoing the Leslie block, and made a leap of faith on it. I know the feeling with the tinnitus thing. Too many rehearsals stuck next to the drummer's favorite cymbal back in the '90s. It's nice to get the sweet spot independent of actual listening volume, innit? :)

Good on you Doug,
Welcome
Pauly

It's been a few months now and I just wanted to stop by and say that if my Axe-Fx III was a human female I would thee wed. You know what... it's 2019 I might just get away with it anyway.

Seriously wtf is in this thing? Gandolph the Gray in there conjuring amps in real time or something I suspect. I've been a tube amp fanatic since the late 80's and still have a Mesa Tremoverb sitting next to me but this thing... I haven't spent this many hours playing guitar since the 90's and that's simply the highest praise I can give. It just has that magic. It's SO freaking responsive to touch it's just unreal. Especially once you start tweaking the pitch follower and envelope follower then all kinds of subtle but holy s*%t stuff starts happening. I'm making up words like eargasmic to describe it to people.

My hands hurt. My wallet might not be too happy still (it will recover lol). But I'm smiling man. I took basically 20 years away from playing on any regular basis. I have really bad tinnitus and the tube amps I love so much are fatiguing to be in a room with for long, even at low volume where most of them fail to hit their sweet spots. With this I can get amazing tones, tones for freaking days, at apartment level volume. What's more the sound coming out of my studio monitors is far, far less fatiguing to my worn out ears which is allowing me to simply sit here and enjoy playing guitar again. For the first time in two decades. I missed it. A hell of a lot more than I realized and I just wanted to thank you crazy geniuses for creating such an amazing piece of gear. If I knew then what I know now I'd have been willing to pay double for this. It's been like a reunion with an old friend and I can't even put a price on it.

Shout out as well to @2112 Leon Todd who's YouTube channel not only was the last little push off the fence I needed to get my first modeling amp (the III is my cherry burster) but also for all the top notch tutorials. Thank you for all the work you do on the channel it's indispensable to a modeling newbie just learning one for the first time. I saw Fractal posted a poll on Facebook recently asking people what artist inspired people to get an Axe-FX III and I saw your name repeatedly being mentioned in some very esteemed company. Congrats on that. It must have been a very flattering/humbling moment. Cheers dude it's well deserved.

Sincerely,

-Me.

My story is almost the same as yours... I took 14 years away from it... The Axe 3 is the most amazing piece of gear ever! And the people here and at factual are eager to assist when a question arises.

My story is almost the same as yours... I took 14 years away from it... The Axe 3 is the most amazing piece of gear ever! And the people here and at factual are eager to assist when a question arises.
Me too. Hopped out in early '99 due to being tired of getting paid chump change and dealing with bandmates' neuroses, indifferent clientèle, the occasional overly-interested clientèle, and over-loud drummers that gave me tinnitus. Tried hopping back in a couple times before realizing I couldn't make it through a rehearsal with a live drummer without my ears ringing so bad I couldn't think straight. It's nice to be able to play some again....

Welcome aboard Doug! This truly is a great community. Don't get me wrong, if you come here with self entitled rants demanding action this pace can be harsh. However, with a smidgeon of common courtesy you will find many here that will go to great lengths to help and get others sorted out. After reading your OP, I have no doubts that you will find your journey with the III and this community to be enjoyable and fulfilling.

Again, welcome to the family.

To put it bluntly, the quality and the end product that this gear provides has dictated the market and future of musical production. That's a fact, Jack!

Having been in a line of business (much different than this) that regularly/daily recognizes when an event occurs that forces people to change the way that they conduct business, it is without a doubt that this is that IMPACT event.

This is that Unit (Morgan Freeman voice included).

Even though the cash may be heavy and caused some delay, it was never better spent. You bought a performance vehicle and it's time to burn some rubber off the wheels.

*Side note: the wheels never wear off...."

That is the beauty of the axefxiii you can smoke those tires and just keep on Rocking lol:p
So many choices of sound it’s just an awesome piece of equipment. With so many combinations :D

Its an awesome piece of gear capable of quite a bit more than it appears...I actually used it via SPDIF today as an reamping tool of aswesome power and as a bonus external FX processor for vocals post FX...It does it as well as my Eventide, maybe even better in the parallel routing chains. I will have an external routing video coming soon on how I use it for Vocal FX processing chains...

Last edited:
Its an awesome piece of gear capable of quite a bit more than it appears...I actually used is via SPDIF today as an reamping and external FX processor for vocals post FX...It does it as well as my Eventide, maybe even better in the parallel routing chains. I will have an external routing video coming soon on how I use it for Vocal FX processing chains...
I haven’t tried that yet but I’m really wanting to...
Thanks for posting that, it would be nice not to carry the rack I have just for vocals.:cool:

I haven’t tried that yet but I’m really wanting to...
Thanks for posting that, it would be nice not to carry the rack I have just for vocals.:cool:
Sounds awesome fellas...Did work out a video demo just for you to help out get you there faster since I saw there were plenty of questions on this forum about SPDIF recording and external FX for Vocals on the AXE FX II & III...Just getting started on this exciting possibility Fractal Audio baked for us...

Last edited:
I just wanted to post an update.

After firmware 9 and 10 have come out in quick succession, my Axe FX III and I have decided to renew our vows. The honeymoon wasn't even over yet but we talked it over and decided to go for it. :D

My unit originally had FW 5.70 on it if I remember right. I skipped 6 and installed 7. I don't remember hearing a tremendous difference so I skipped 8 as well. After installing FW 9 and then 10 just the other day I went back to some of my older, abandoned versions of my presets and they have taken on a new life. I don't know what voodoo Fractal implemented in those last two firmwares but holy crap this thing just keeps getting better and better. The "Gain Enhancer" was an epic addition and it's not just for high gain stuff. Overall everything just suddenly got a lot more real sounding through nice headphones. And it already sounded damn good but these latest releases really took it to a new level.

Every single block in this thing, from cab blocks, amp blocks, FX etc, everything just has so much freaking depth to it. You can deep dive on anything and tweak it to your hearts content. I get why some people knock it for being difficult to learn because there's just so much there but it's worth the effort.

After 9 came out I started messing with the factory preset "Jeff Gets Ready" which is a really nice 59 Bassman and I added the new gain enhancer to an expression pedal so I could hear/feel what it was doing as I played and next thing you know, a couple hours went by and I have another favorite preset now. I'm attaching it here for your amusement. If anyone wants to play around with that parameter just hook an expression pedal up to pedal 1 and 2 on the unit (the other is a wah) and give it a go! There's three scenes and you can sweep from 0 all the way to 10 on all of them which seems extreme but it's actually very useable. It's heavily changed from the original preset overall as well. Lots of fun. I'm more of a high gain guy but I just enjoy the hell out of this.

Attachments

• Jeff Got Ready [DMN].syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 8
Back
Top Bottom