Thank you for Channel Select Smart Bypass

Please explain. Is this a new feature with the AxeIII 4.0X FW, or something that already existed?

I did see that the FW 4.02 release notes mentioned some FC improvements, but there were not any details about those improvements.

In either case, I'm not sure what you are talking about. A little explanation would be helpful. Thanks.

Please explain. Is this a new feature with the AxeIII 4.0X FW, or something that already existed?

I did see that the FW 4.02 release notes mentioned some FC improvements, but there were not any details about those improvements.

In either case, I'm not sure what you are talking about. A little explanation would be helpful. Thanks.
Page 29 of the manual. It’s a feature that’s been there since launch.

Ok, I see. I think that may be more useful on the FC-12.

With the 6, I don't want to dedicate multiple switches to the channels of a particular block - which is the way this works if I'm reading it correctly. The way I have mine configured is that I have a switch dedicated to an effect and I have the hold function set to use the Channel Toggle function to toggle between channel A and B. This allows me to easily switch between A and B. But this does limit me to using accessing two channels of that particular block. I suppose I could set up a second switch to access C and B, or just use the Increment/Decrement as the tap function and hold to turn it on/off.

Anyway, thanks for pointing that out!

With the 6, I don't want to dedicate multiple switches to the channels of a particular block - which is the way this works if I'm reading it correctly. The way I have mine configured is that I have a switch dedicated to an effect and I have the hold function set to use the Channel Toggle function to toggle between channel A and B. This allows me to easily switch between A and B. But this does limit me to using accessing two channels of that particular block. I suppose I could set up a second switch to access C and B, or just use the Increment/Decrement as the tap function and hold to turn it on/off.

Anyway, thanks for pointing that out!
I think the key point here is the Smart Bypass option...

I set up an FC6 today for 1 hold switch with this feature where I don’t use the feature on the FC12.

I need to “force” a dotted 8th delay using Delay 1 Channel B at times. I can just hit the Channel switch without having to also need a bypass/engage switch.

Yes, it's a great feature. I've been using it in all the pro rigs.
Any possibility we can get the LED ring behavior changed when Smart Bypass is in use? The current behavior is really not intuitive and it's confused a number of people. I think it makes more sense for the LED to reflect bypass state vs channel selection when Smart Bypass is in use.

At least as another option?

I set up an FC6 today for 1 hold switch with this feature where I don’t use the feature on the FC12.

I need to “force” a dotted 8th delay using Delay 1 Channel B at times. I can just hit the Channel switch without having to also need a bypass/engage switch.

You mean that people actually use delay times other than dotted 8ths? (I play primarily at church where dotted 8ths are cliche)

Ok, I'll check it out on the FC-6. Thanks again for the tip.

Any possibility we can get the LED ring behavior changed when Smart Bypass is in use? The current behavior is really not intuitive and it's confused a number of people. I think it makes more sense for the LED to reflect bypass state vs channel selection when Smart Bypass is in use.

Count me as one of the "confused" (initially). It works great, but as suggested, I would prefer the LED show the engaged/bypass status of the block. Maybe put the channel information in one of the displays?

Great video! From watching that segment, It looks like once you switch to channel B, that same switch won't be able to take you back to channel A? So the Drive 1 button will also turn it on/off but on Ch B. Is there a way to get back to Ch A other than creating another switch or reloading a scene that has the drive set to the A channel?

Great video! From watching that segment, It looks like once you switch to channel B, that same switch won't be able to take you back to channel A? So the Drive 1 button will also turn it on/off but on Ch B. Is there a way to get back to Ch A other than creating another switch or reloading a scene that has the drive set to the A channel?
No, so don’t put yourself in situations where you can’t get out of it.

I always need an “on demand” dotted 1/8th delay, so I simply change Scenes when I need whatever the delay used to be.

It works where it works.

Well... You could use the hold feature of the same button, but not sure that would meet your qualifications? Maybe use hold as Channel Toggle?

Thanks @chris and @unix-guy. Hold would work, duh. Leon didn't define a hold for that switch and I didn't think of it. Or as chris said, just set it up for times when I know I'd be able to switch back w/ a scene, or if I don't need to get back at all.

Just started messing with this but I think the channel toggle is also a great feature. Perfect when you don't need to bypass the effect but switch between two versions of it!

Last edited:
I set up a couple of per preset smart bypass switches...one to select Drive 1 channel A and turn it on and one to select Channel B.

They work fine but I noticed that when I select one of them it turns on but when I press the button again to bypass it the LED ring stays on bright even though the Drive does bypass.
Is this a glitch?

A year later I finally got around to setting up a couple buttons with Smart Bypass enabled. I'm bumping this up because I would also like to see the LED ring behavior changed with Smart Bypass is in use to reflect the Effect State so that both switches are dim when the effect is bypassed, not off. As it is, it's confusing because OFF usually indicates that the effect is not present in the current preset.

Edit: Digging deeper, I see that a change was implemented in a previous FW update, but not exactly how I would have done it...

Last edited:
A year later I finally got around to setting up a couple buttons with Smart Bypass enabled. I'm bumping this up because I would also like to see the LED ring behavior changed with Smart Bypass is in use to reflect the Effect State so that both switches are dim when the effect is bypassed, not off. As it is, it's confusing because OFF usually indicates that the effect is not present in the current preset.

Edit: Digging deeper, I see that a change was implemented in a previous FW update, but not exactly how I would have done it...
Can you post a link? I have a vague memory of a change but am not really using this feature right now so I don't remember :)

Edit: nevermind, I see you (and I) already commented there.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...or-change-follows-bypass.147054/#post-1910096

Back
Top Bottom