Thank You Axe-Fx III for introducing me to Marshall

gberto

Inspired
Back in my tube amp days, I was all about Vox amps and their variants (Bad Cat, Matchless, Dr Z). I never really tried Marshalls because I didn't think they fit as well with what I played.

In every other digital device I've used, the Marshall amps just didn't really sound good to me. They were always super scooped, fizzy, had gobs of gain, weren't responsive, had a shrill top end, and just didn't sound like anything I would ever have a use for.

Then came my AxeFX III...

The Marshall models in here are beyond killer! I just can't even believe how much I love them. They don't sound anything at all like other digital models of Marshalls I've ever used. They are so much better balanced, and responsive.

I can't pull myself away from the 1959SLP and JTM45. They are just unreal. I had no idea Marshalls could sound like this when I played them.

So thank you Fractal to this introduction to Marshall amps and all the goodness they are capable of when done right!

This has been my 'clean to mean' with a volume knob for years.

Wow you weren't kidding! On my Les Paul I usually keep the neck pickup volume dialed to 5 and the bridge pickup at 10 so I can go dirty to clean by flipping the pickup selector on my guitar. I usually end up with a bit of breakup still on the neck pickup though. I just played with the Plexi 50W 6550 and it cleans up perfectly. Amazing jangly clean tone too, hard to believe the amp settings haven't been touched. This is my new favourite amp to play with, thanks all!

Wow you weren't kidding! On my Les Paul I usually keep the neck pickup volume dialed to 5 and the bridge pickup at 10 so I can go dirty to clean by flipping the pickup selector on my guitar. I usually end up with a bit of breakup still on the neck pickup though. I just played with the Plexi 50W 6550 and it cleans up perfectly. Amazing jangly clean tone too, hard to believe the amp settings haven't been touched. This is my new favourite amp to play with, thanks all!

Yep, it's awesome. With a simple boost to goose for leads (and delay on command), you can hit very many sonic templates. I went through a 'only the Master Volume amps' phase, and found out that you really don't need that much to play very many things. Nice to have in your toolbox.

This has been my 'clean to mean' with a volume knob for years.

I've run through all of the Plexi's and found that the Brit Super (Super Lead) gets me the clean to mean with the volume knob best, although it's not a Plexi. But I'll have to try this amp model (Plexi 50W 6550). I believe Yek's amp guide says the Brit Super is based of the rented amp from S.I.R. I'm one of the few who makes this their go to amp. But ideally, I would go with an Atomica or Friedman for the distorted tone if they would clean up like this amp does. Plus the amp feels like a 100 watt amp with headroom. I'm in a phase right now where I prefer to play without any reverb or delay because it hides the nuances that I'm geeking out over.

I'm all about the amps that have the most dynamics using the volume knob.

I have three Marshall’s, a JVM410, a JCM800 from 1983 and a JMP1. None of them sound like the models at the same settings because my amps are modded and so is the JMP1 model, but can tweak them to be very alike. And the feel, that Marshall feel .... :D

My favorite would be the 1970 jumped, mean as fuck!

I have three Marshall’s, a JVM410, a JCM800 from 1983 and a JMP1. None of them sound like the models at the same settings because my amps are modded and so is the JMP1 model, but can tweak them to be very alike. And the feel, that Marshall feel .... :D

My favorite would be the 1970 jumped, mean as fuck!
What mod did you do to the JVM410?

The JTM45 has my favorite tone right now but I’m having a hard time tightening up the gain. Like when I palm mute it sounds fuzzy and lasts too long.

Back
Top Bottom