Testing out the goodness that is bogner!! (semi-teh-brootz)

JAB

Hey all,

Been really slack of late, but have been having a lot of fun with the improved uber and newly added shiva models...........so I figured if they sound good separately why not put 'em together? :twisted:

This was originally meant to be just a bogner tester type thing, but it ended up being a full song, check it out here-

http://soundcloud.com/aorist/musing

Hope you all dig :cool:

any questions happy to help!!

*in order for the patches to work you'll need the redwirez bogner v30 cab.

slot 2 = r121 cap off-axis 1"
slot 3 = sm57 cap edge 1"

I have the 2 cabs going to separate outputs so I could control the blend in cubase during mix-down. It was roughly speaking 121 100%
and the 57 at around 60% panned 100/85 respectively.

Attachments

• Jab shivA.syx
    2 KB · Views: 60
  • Jab uber.syx
    2 KB · Views: 72
Re: Testing out the goodness that is bogner!! (semi-teh-broo

I dig!
I really like the sound of the bass-guitar. Very Eddie-Jackson-ish (BP for queensryche).

Regards,
Marco Bakker

MarcoB said:
I dig!
I really like the sound of the bass-guitar. Very Eddie-Jackson-ish (BP for queensryche).

Regards,
Marco Bakker

Cheers man, I was actually going for kinda like a tool-meets-karnivool-meets-metal bass tone
But hey.........at least it sounds like someone :lol:

The bass was just the svt model with a redwirez 8x10svt cab miked with a d112 for clean
and then I blended in a filtered version of the above tone with the tube dist pedal in front to add the grit

soularflair approves ;)
And I can def hear the Karnivool influence, which is a good thing since those guys rock.
You've got a really nice blend of frequencies going on, and great contrast between the heavy and the clean.

Nice sound. Any chance of sharing the patches for bass and guitar??

Very nice song too.

Cool! I like it!

Thanks a lot guys!!
great to hear the groove (or at least my really white version of grooving) was noticed :lol:

I'll upload the patches tomorrow :cool:

Like it! I like the guitar tone and the drums. This is the "Evil Drums" SDX? I had no luck with the Metal Foundry SDX so far, but your snare sounds beefy. I need to check your IR combo as well, sounds good.

Nice warm tone. I like it. A bit much low mid whoompiness though but that's where the warmth is so...

Great riff. A lot of what I hear in this genre sound heavy for just heavy's sake without a real hook, but that had a cool hook to it. Nice job.

Please share the patch on Axexchange and any production methodology you used.

thanks for sharing,
Steve

Clark Kent said:
Nice warm tone. I like it. A bit much low mid whoompiness though but that's where the warmth is so...

Yeah man, the whole mix is not to my liking the low-mid issues you are hearing is kinda across the board, rather than just being guitar based.
But the bogner models (especially the uber) have a lot of thickness in the 50hz-250khz range :lol:

RiF said:
Like it! I like the guitar tone and the drums. This is the "Evil Drums" SDX? I had no luck with the Metal Foundry SDX so far, but your snare sounds beefy. I need to check your IR combo as well, sounds good.

cheers RiF..........yeah I would definitely recommend checking out the evil drum sdx. It really is an amazing bunch of kits through spectacular gear.........really big and rocky :mrgreen:

That snare sound, along with the kick is practically untouched e.q wise. Both had a touch of compression (parallel and direct)
but e.q wise nothing was done other than filtering out some lows on the snare and a touch of mid-scoop on the kick.

guittarzzan said:
Great riff. A lot of what I hear in this genre sound heavy for just heavy's sake without a real hook, but that had a cool hook to it. Nice job.

thanks for sharing,
Steve

Thanks a lot Steve, I'm a real sucker for simple hooky music (dub step, pop, hard rock etc)

the patch is now under my firs post. any specific production questions you have I'd be happy to answer :mrgreen:

JAB said:
guittarzzan said:

thanks for sharing,
Steve

Thanks a lot Steve, I'm a real sucker for simple hooky music (dub step, pop, hard rock etc)

the patch is now under my firs post. any specific production questions you have I'd be happy to answer :mrgreen:

Was this direct? The guitars sound like there's a little more "air" there than a lot of direct clips have. Are the guitars double tracked? If so, did you have them blended on each side or did you keep the two amps seperate and panned opposite? Where did you high pass the guitars to make room for bass and kick? What processing was done outside the Axefx?

thanks,
Steve

guittarzzan said:
JAB said:
guittarzzan said:

thanks for sharing,
Steve

Was this direct? The guitars sound like there's a little more "air" there than a lot of direct clips have. Are the guitars double tracked? If so, did you have them blended on each side or did you keep the two amps seperate and panned opposite? Where did you high pass the guitars to make room for bass and kick? What processing was done outside the Axefx?

thanks,
Steve

Yes this was direct. I think the 'liveliness' you're hearing is partly because of the royer 121 impulse, the condenser mikes pick up a lot more room sound than the traditional dynamic choices (57/421 etc) both impulses used were also 1" back which to my ears is about ideal (and a distance I generally use when miking up amps in a studio)

The guitars are quad-tracked................ 2 x uber, and 2 x shiva (so when you take into account that the mics were sent into cubase separately you end up with 8 x mono tracks in total)

The uber tracks were panned 100% left and right, and the shiva tracks 80% left and right. The uber was quit a lot higher in the mix than the shiva tracks though, roughly about a 100/60 blend.

I generally always hi pass at 50hz, and lo pass at 11-13k depending on the fizziness and cab. I would also normally multiband compress the low-mids around 200-250hz and e.q some more lows at around 120-200 (to make way for the bass)
I didn't use any multiband in this, and I should have (thanks clark :lol: )

mixing in mono, and also always referencing on small/generic pc-esque type speakers is a real must. I haven't mastered the mono-mixing yet
but it helps save ear fatique, and if it sounds cool in mono it only gets better in stereo :twisted:

This is fantastic man! Love the sounds you got, production, riff, the whole thing. Very well done.

Back
Top Bottom