Testing my new chain (MLSoundlabs, Slate Digital, CabIR.eu)

xpenno

Power User
I was just testing an IR I shot using my standard DAW signal chain and exporting it back out to the AxeFX. It also contains an ML Sound Labs Cab from Pack 20 and a room mic from the CabIR.eu Orange pack. I added the room mic at -5dB in a stereo UltraRes cab block. Both cabs are panned dead centre. The room cab just seems to remove some of the harsh frequencies and balance things out a little for my taste.

DAW Chain used to capture the second IR (run in series in a second UR cab block) Slate Tape (2") > Slate Virtual Channel (BritN) > Slate Mic Preamp (FG-73) > Slate FG-N EQ with a high pass at 75hz and +1.8 on the high shelf.

The overall EQ curve on the resultant IR showed that the high shelf also scooped around 100hz which cleared up the mud and there was a boost in the air frequencies also.

I kind of liked what both of these did so I thought I'd share.

The first 2 clips are just some wet clips of my playing. I love how they sound clean, open but with some nice chunk and crunchy in the high end but not harsh.

This clip is with delay and verb turned off but the Slate EQ and Room cab both on.

This clip is the same but with No Slate

Finally this clip has the Slate IR but no Room IR

Anyway, I thought I'd share here just in case anyone else finds it useful.

Cheers

Spence

Very unconventional (perhaps unintentional with a mono room ir and also truncated to UR...:) ) but very interesting! Sounds great! And awesome playing Xpenno! ;)

Very unconventional (perhaps unintentional with a mono room ir and also truncated to UR...:) ) but very interesting! Sounds great! And awesome playing Xpenno! ;)

My first rule of AxeFx club is that there are no rules ;)

I was just messing and had that cab loaded up in the scratchpad. Sounded great so it just went with it.

My first rule of AxeFx club is that there are no rules ;)

Yeah! And Dude! I follow your Plexi/Marshallesque Sounds since the Ultra days! Even on the "old"machine, you bring them to sound on a class of their own! You`re a Master on that type of sound, no doubt! Much appreciate it!

I like the Ambient IR's from the Orange cabIR.eu stand alone too.

When used in the Fractal they are truncated of course, but they seem to have a more mellow far field response and just a tinge of room reflections.

Very pleasant to me even though they are mainly for use in the DAW at full length or mixed in CabLab with other close mic'ed IR's.

Moved on to emulating my Slate chain in the AxeFX now using the Cab block preamp with the tape 50us and some very small tweaks with a GEQ.

Messing with the AFD100 1 model which I was never a fan of before Q2 and now it sounds pretty sweet!! I'm still using that orange room IR but with the PR55 SM57/R121 01 ML SoundLab Cab this time.

Back
Top Bottom