Testing IR Full Res - What do you think about this sample?

Marco Fanton

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
I am testing AXE FX3 with IR Full Res. They could be interesting for combo amp but they are also very good with any vintage sound like this sample. What do you think?

The real amp

Last edited:
Sounds great.. Which are the differences between full res and dynamic ir developed by some producers?

Full Res are 1,3 sec long and is useful to capture the room sound.
I don't know Dynamic IR, where did you see them?
Celestion and two notes do it... Maybe it depends just on the possibility to move microphones with a software or have something more specific? As a completely unprepared on this first thing come in mind has been as the difference between resistive load and reactive load mod..

Celestion and two notes do it... Maybe it depends just on the possibility to move microphones with a software or have something more specific? As a completely unprepared on this first thing come in mind has been as the difference between resistive load and reactive load mod..
ok, they are different.
I know some IR loader are working to offer the possibility to customize the cabinet using different IR profiles like Overloud Supercab

https://www.overloud.com/taxonomy/term/366

I am testing AXE FX3 with IR Full Res. They could be interesting for combo amp but they are also very good with any vintage sound like this sample. What do you think?

The real amp

The difference between the 2 videos is huge 🥶. The 2nd one sounds better to me here , less agressive, less compressed/gated don’t know . “Real” yes.

Last edited:
Celestion and TwoNotes mean two completely different things by dynamic IRs. For TwoNotes, it is purely an interface thing that allows you to move the mic around the speaker. To call it dynamic is a pure marketing stunt in my opinion.
Celestion actually includes some speaker dynamics in their speaker simulation, but then it is no longer an IR. The amp block of the AxeFX offers the same kind of functionality with a bit more flexibility.

The difference between the 2 videos is huge 🥶. The 2nd one sounds better to me here , less agressive, less compressed/gated don’t know . “Real” yes.
For sure I am not good to create sound and the problems depends from me.
Could you try to make the same sample with your FX3? thank you

Celestion and TwoNotes mean two completely different things by dynamic IRs. For TwoNotes, it is purely an interface thing that allows you to move the mic around the speaker. To call it dynamic is a pure marketing stunt in my opinion.
Celestion actually includes some speaker dynamics in their speaker simulation, but then it is no longer an IR. The amp block of the AxeFX offers the same kind of functionality with a bit more flexibility.
So what is the difference between celestion dynamic and an ultra res ir? Which functionality in the amp block match it?

For sure I am not good to create sound and the problems depends from me.
Could you try to make the same sample with your FX3? thank you
Don’t take it like that Marco, you asked for feedbacks. I m not saying your bad or the axe is bad, just that, here, the second video sound way better. Not saying that I can do better than you.
But probably I will start with minimum blocks and tweaks to have the 2nd sound. The sound is so pure in the second video … there is honestly a gap in term of sound between the 2. Where is the fault I don’t know. He used a Gibson and a real Marshall . Hard to redo Nutella with other stuff. You are a good player Marco. Don’t get me wrong.

Last edited:
So what is the difference between celestion dynamic and an ultra res ir? Which functionality in the amp block match it?
You have speaker compression and speaker distortion in the amp block. This is similar to what Celestion tries to mimic with their latest plugin

Great tones, Marco. But I do prefer the second video. It might the the way it is mic'd up, because the amp tone itself doesn't sound much different. The sound of the real amp just seems to be jumping out of the speaker, for want of a better phrase. Nice playing though, and for both gigging and recording I'd still rather use digital. The sound is so close it's not worth obsessing over, IMO.

Don’t take it like that Marco, you asked for feedbacks. I m not saying your bad or the axe is bad, just that, here, the second video sound way better. Not saying that I can do better than you.
But probably I will start with minimum blocks and tweaks to have the 2nd sound. The sound is so pure in the second video … there is honestly a gap in term of sound between the 2. Where is the fault I don’t know. He used a Gibson and a real Marshall . Hard to redo Nutella with other stuff. You are a good player Marco. Don’t get me wrong.
Yes and I thank you!
Because I need to understand, I like to see any sample who can teach me to improve :)
My intention is not to replicate the sound 1 to 1
My sound is what I have in my mind to create my songs.
These sounds are different but I can't say the second one is 10 times better... of course is my personal taste.

There is something special in his tone, it’s super dynamic, the notes are present and jump in the face. It’s like you hearing the clean note first/the guitar, and the distortion is behind.
But yes the thing is to be happy with your tone, that’s all that matters
But if you asked for opinions…

Back
Top Bottom