Test: IR Versus Real Mic'd Up Cab

That was a fun video to make. We just wanted to show people that a well made IR does actually sound like the real mic’d cab and isn’t the reason why someone’s tone may sound “digital” to them.

I’ve read comments from people on other forums say that “IRs are the weakest part in digital modeling,” so this just shows them that the IR is probably the most reliable element in the chain when it comes to accuracy. If you’re using a great modeler like a Fractal, then you’ve got incredible amounts of accuracy across the board. If you’re using a lower quality modeler, the “digital” sound is most likely coming from the corners the manufacturer cut in their modeling process.

It’s a great time to be a guitar player!

That was a fun video to make. We just wanted to show people that a well made IR does actually sound like the real mic’d cab and isn’t the reason why someone’s tone may sound “digital” to them.

I’ve read comments from people on other forums say that “IRs are the weakest part in digital modeling,” so this just shows them that the IR is probably the most reliable element in the chain when it comes to accuracy. If you’re using a great modeler like a Fractal, then you’ve got incredible amounts of accuracy across the board. If you’re using a lower quality modeler, the “digital” sound is most likely coming from the corners the manufacturer cut in their modeling process.

Not sure why this stuck out to me, but can I ask what factors you have come to discover that can lead to
someone's tone sounding "digital" to them?? Other than a low quality modeler. Thanks!

I’ve read comments from people on other forums say that “IRs are the weakest part in digital modeling,” so this just shows them that the IR is probably the most reliable element in the chain when it comes to accuracy. If you’re using a great modeler like a Fractal, then you’ve got incredible amounts of accuracy across the board.

Yes. You're also speaking to the often-repeated statement that all modelers are created equal -- or at least "good enough," and that it's just what you do with them. To me, that's just nonsense.

Yes. You're also speaking to the often-repeated statement that all modelers are created equal -- or at least "good enough," and that it's just what you do with them. To me, that's just nonsense.

Last night someone posted on here about getting that clean intro on the Foo Fighters song, Everlong. I assumed maybe a
Vox was in play as Dave has used them in the past--both live and in the studio. I found a video from the engineer who worked
on the actual album with Dave and the band. He said it was basically one rig throughout the recording of that album that
Dave used and it was a Fender Tonemaster into a Boogie cab (didn't say which one). I remembered that the Mesa Triple Crest
is a based on the Fender Tonemaster so I dialed it up in my FM3 (Scene 3: High Gain) and rolled the volume down on my guitar.
By Jove there it was. :)

That level of dynamism and responsiveness is far from "nonsense!" It's brilliant, and to a player like me who thrives on that
kind of dynamic responsiveness, it is utterly addictive and inspiring!! :)

Last edited:

Great sounding clip! Do you remember which speaker pack you used?

Not sure why this stuck out to me, but can I ask what factors you have come to discover that can lead to
someone's tone sounding "digital" to them?? Other than a low quality modeler. Thanks!
Most of the time they’re referring to top end air or sizzle, which those frequencies are naturally present in the cabinet whether you’re using a real amp or an accurate modeler. The mic hears what the mic hears. And even though most speakers start rolling off at around 7k, it’s not a brick wall… there’s still a lot of sonic information north of 7k. Instead of tweaking treble, presence, or master volume controls to get the top end response they want, it’s easier to put the blame on an IR and mistaking natural sizzle for “digital fizz.” But just like a real amp and cab that have sizzle, a couple knob tweaks should do the trick and keep things sounding natural.

As someone who owns quite a few of the most popular modelers, I couldn’t agree more. All modelers are far from “created equal,” especially when you compare them to the real thing.

Great sounding clip! Do you remember which speaker pack you used?
Thanks! It was important to me that the video didn’t come across as trying to promote a product, so I created a new IR specifically for this test from the cab I already had set up in my amp room. The cab was a Marshall 1960bv 4x12. If you happen to have the MRSH 412 MV30 Dual pack, I would suggest trying the 57m-1 IR with the Solo 100 Lead model to get you in a good spot.

Just to share, the reveal video is here:

I surprised myself that I actually heard 2 of the switches although I had no idea which was which. I was using earbuds on an iPad and wouldn't consider myself to have golden ears by any stretch.

I heard the change at 14 seconds as well as the one right before the end.

Just to share, the reveal video is here:

I surprised myself that I actually heard 2 of the switches although I had no idea which was which. I was using earbuds on an iPad and wouldn't consider myself to have golden ears by any stretch.

I heard the change at 14 seconds as well as the one right before the end.

Nice! I got 1.5 right listening on my Sennheiser HD600s. Well, I got one basically right (14 second mark). The second switch I thought I heard, I wasn't sure if I was actually hearing anything (22s was where I thought it was, but it would have been late anyway), so I thought maybe it only switched once.

Interesting to me was that the switches that I thought I heard were both going in the same direction, and I missed one of those 3 completely. I didn't hear the switches in the other direction at all. So 1.5 out of 5, isn't that great.

To me, the main thing was that absolutely no way would anyone have heard it in the context of a full band, either live or recorded.

I made my first IR yesterday of my Gallien-Krueger 412 Bass Cab, and was shocked that the IR sounded exactly like what I was hearing through the Mic in my home studio. Although the volume was a little low, I turned up the level and it sounds great. In fact it's the best bass IR I have.

I made my first IR yesterday of my Gallien-Krueger 412 Bass Cab, and was shocked that the IR sounded exactly like what I was hearing through the Mic in my home studio. Although the volume was a little low, I turned up the level and it sounds great. In fact it's the best bass IR I have.
That’s awesome! I’m glad you got great results! No two cabs sound identical to each other, so when we’re used to the sound of a cab and then make an IR of it, it SHOULD sound like the captured cabinet (if it’s done correctly). Sounds like you created a winner!

That’s awesome! I’m glad you got great results! No two cabs sound identical to each other, so when we’re used to the sound of a cab and then make an IR of it, it SHOULD sound like the captured cabinet (if it’s done correctly). Sounds like you created a winner!
Thank you, btw, I mainly buy and use your IR's on pretty everything. Great stuff.

Back
Top Bottom