Tesla

Within five years every manufacturer will have at least a couple all-electric models and the infrastructure will be much better. Car makers are notoriously slow to change but Tesla has shown that people will buy electric cars, and lots of them.

Teslas stock will soon plummet to typical auto maker P/Es and Elon will take to Twitter to try to pump the stock value.

Other companies may produce just as good electric cars, but don't forget that teslas are heading to be autonomous and tesla will lunch a(n autonomous ) taxi service, so you don't even need to own a car. Tesla stock will fly even more (I have zero interest in investing in stocks.).
Other car companies are 10 years behind. At least. Being all-electric is not the only advantage.

Also, Elon has SpaceX where he can bring other inventions over, from. Other car companies don't have space programs.

(If I go to the store and it starts raining, my car can come and pick me up at the store-front already)

Last edited:
I am more after the concept of cities over crowded of cars that occupy 4 times the amount of space and use 4 times the amount of energy that actually is necessary for private transport.
Easy solution: don’t live in a city if you can avoid it. It’s an epidemiological nightmare now, and for years to come, not to mention cramped, noisy, filthy, and super expensive. I lived in a city of 12 million for nearly a decade 20 years ago, and for me the negatives far outweighed the positives even then, let alone now.

No smoke comes out the wall outlet, so electricity must be green and good.
And electric cars also emits no smoke. So great.

We have windturbines everywhere here in Germany, thousends of them. No horizon without a windmill. And they built new ones on and on. Still these turbines are not able to produce half of the electric power needed. Most power gets made from fossil fuels. So every additional electirc car rises the use of fossil fuels.
Is that green?
First we'd need way more green power, then the cars. The other way round it's absurd.

That’s only because frau Merkel is not very bright. You could do what France does and use nuclear. In fact, with German engineering you could do it better, cheaper, and safer than anyone in the world. Instead you got taken in by the most transparent scam imaginable.

That’s only because frau Merkel is not very bright. You could do what France does and use nuclear. In fact, with German engineering you could do it better, cheaper, and safer than anyone in the world. Instead you got taken in by the most transparent scam imaginable.
I live less than 20 miles away from the biggest nuclear plant in Europe. I does not give me a good feeling. Might come one day when it will blow up and everything will be gone: my house, my job, my neighborhoud, maybe our lifes.
Maybe nuclear plants are good in sparsely populated areas.

Would living next to a fossil fuel plant make you feel any better? Because in the absence of nuclear you still kinda need those when the sun isn’t shining and wind isn’t blowing, if your country has industrial economy. FWIW, China is working really hard on thorium reactors right now, in addition to its record breaking deployment of renewables. Thorium is much more abundant than uranium and results in safer reactor designs.

Easy solution: don’t live in a city if you can avoid it. It’s an epidemiological nightmare now, and for years to come, not to mention cramped, noisy, filthy, and super expensive. I lived in a city of 12 million for nearly a decade 20 years ago, and for me the negatives far outweighed the positives even then, let alone now.

Yeah well, I lived in a 500 people village for 23 years, I know the joys of it. But that does not change the fact that urban population will grow in decades to come, particularly in developing countries, with enormous populations. And as long as they improve their quality of life, they also want a car and the rest of goodies of modern standards That does nothing but amplify the fact that energetically, the current private transport concept is barely scalable at global level.

I live less than 20 miles away from the biggest nuclear plant in Europe. I does not give me a good feeling. Might come one day when it will blow up and everything will be gone: my house, my job, my neighborhoud, maybe our lifes.
Maybe nuclear plants are good in sparsely populated areas.

Not to mention the problem of nuclear waste is far from being solved, at least now, for some people is not that much of an issue to leave it to future generations to come:

https://cen.acs.org/environment/pollution/nuclear-waste-pilesscientists-seek-best/98/i12

Yeah well, I lived in a 500 people village for 23 years, I know the joys of it. But that does not change the fact that urban population will grow in decades to come, particularly in developing countries, with enormous populations. And as long as they improve their quality of life, they also want a car and the rest of goodies of modern standards That does nothing but amplify the fact that energetically, the current private transport concept is barely scalable at global level.
That’s not a fact at all. Human population should start declining by 2050 or so, and the decline will accelerate rapidly as fertility drops due to higher levels of independence for females brought on by the higher standard of living / lower poverty. Anthropologists are pretty consistent in this prediction.

Not to mention the problem of nuclear waste is far from being solved, at least now, for some people is not that much of an issue to leave it to future generations to come:

https://cen.acs.org/environment/pollution/nuclear-waste-pilesscientists-seek-best/98/i12
Nuclear “waste” is being used to feed sodium nuclear reactors in Russia as I write this. Not only that, but sodium based design does not use water in the core, and therefore can’t produce hydrogen or positive void coefficient like Chernobyl. Amazing what you can do with 21st century tech.

Never owned a car and refused one from work (traded it for higher pay). I'm probably a bit more hippie left leaning than most here 😜, but in the small city where i live there's wonderful public transportation and a great car sharing system (cars are owned by private individuals who share their vehicle through an online platform when they do not need it).
Always wondered why we don t just share more 🤔. Saves money, time and space.

That being said, i m glad electric cars are taking off. Even though you can discuss emission at this time, i don t think pumping and burning fossil fuels will get much better in the future.
Tesla s look pretty slick too. At least more interesting than the boring standard cars of the last 30 years. And who decided to make all cars greyscale btw

Nuclear “waste” is being used to feed sodium nuclear reactors in Russia as I write this. Not only that, but sodium based design does not use water in the core, and therefore can’t produce hydrogen or positive void coefficient like Chernobyl. Amazing what you can do with 21st century tech.

Modern reactors (sodium, thorium) generate far less waste...Also, how much land waste will Solar, Wind, and Batteries generate over time? Here's an interesting article that discusses the amount of waste using "renewable energy"! Maybe we should be comparing the total cost of each!

That’s not a fact at all. Human population should start declining by 2050 or so, and the decline will accelerate rapidly as fertility drops due to higher levels of independence for females brought on by the higher standard of living / lower poverty. Anthropologists are pretty consistent in this prediction.

Didn’t mention population growth, but improved life standards for the existing one in certain countries. Which hopefully will continue far beyond 2050.

I like the freedom of the 5 minutes-at-the-gas-station. I could not bear the anxiety of the range, the duration of the charge.
I like the freedom of not going to the gas station.

Range anxiety is really only an issue on long trips, and much less so for Tesla owners since they have a solid network of fast chargers. For daily driving, it's a non-issue.

Didn’t mention population growth, but improved life standards for the existing one in certain countries. Which hopefully will continue far beyond 2050.
What's mind blowing though is that if you actually poll people, hardly anyone realizes that averaged out, humanity is living better than ever, COVID notwithstanding. There have been dramatic, staggering reductions in extreme poverty, malnutrition, dramatic advances with fighting disease (vaccine for Ebola was announced the other day, nobody even noticed; COVID vaccine was developed over the weekend directly from genome, the rest of the time was spent testing it), dramatic advances in pharma, communications, access to capital and tech, dramatic reductions in violence, and so on and so forth all the way down the list.

Steven Pinker wrote an excellent book about this, "Enlightenment Now" (and "Better angels of our nature" before that, on the decline in violence specifically). In this extensively researched book he puts forward an argument that, on average, humanity never had it this good. Yet people seem to think that we live in the worst time in history (and some in the US also think they live in the worst country in history as well, which is, well, uninformed at best).

Back
Top Bottom