Wish Tera Echo

Sustainerplayer

Experienced
It's been a wish on the previous Axe flagship for long. I guess todays announcement of the new Boss DD-200 once again woke my lust for a Tera Echo in the Axe Fx III.

I'm not hearing anything in Tera Echo demos that can't be accomplished with the current tools. For starters, just run through the factory presets, and listen carefully to the delays and ambience effects.

I'm not hearing anything in Tera Echo demos that can't be accomplished with the current tools. For starters, just run through the factory presets, and listen carefully to the delays and ambience effects.

I'm probably an idiot. I've had the TE-2 and the DD-500 in the loop of the II XL and the III and I was never able to make anything even close to it with the Axe's.

just watched the dd200 demo from boss. pretty cool sounds throughout but look at all the stomp boxes he needs to do it all.

I experimented with trying to do a Tera Echo last night for a bit. I remember @Admin M@ mentioned using the Megatap Delay for this a while back but I never got around to trying it until last night.

It's pretty hard to get close to the Tera Echo. The Megatap Delay works great for the delay pattern - set it to a long delay time with 30+ taps, a positive time alpha, and decreasing amplitude set somewhere around the middle. The thing that's tricky is the filtering. The Tera Echo sounds like each tap is getting it's own filter that generates an overall sweep but each tap has some variance aside from the overall sweep. The Tera Echo is doing some shenanigans with their MDP processing to generate that filtered sound too. There's a deepness to it even with higher notes but the notes are still present in the taps. And with chords the Tera Echo seems to emphasize a fundamental note. The filter is sensitive to dynamics as well. So the ADSR pretty much triggers for any signal but the filter timbre varies with the envelope. Playing percussively generates much sharper filters and playing softly with your fingers creates a smoother filter.

On the Axe, you can use the ADSR to control something like the frequency of a high pass filter to approximate the over all sweep sound. The ADSR needs to be triggered at the start of the first delay tap but the ADSR triggers based on In1 or In2 so you need the filter to be in front of the Megatap to have the sweep start right.

I experimented with trying to do a Tera Echo last night for a bit. I remember @Admin M@ mentioned using the Megatap Delay for this a while back but I never got around to trying it until last night.

It's pretty hard to get close to the Tera Echo. The Megatap Delay works great for the delay pattern - set it to a long delay time with 30+ taps, a positive time alpha, and decreasing amplitude set somewhere around the middle. The thing that's tricky is the filtering. The Tera Echo sounds like each tap is getting it's own filter that generates an overall sweep but each tap has some variance aside from the overall sweep. The Tera Echo is doing some shenanigans with their MDP processing to generate that filtered sound too. There's a deepness to it even with higher notes but the notes are still present in the taps. And with chords the Tera Echo seems to emphasize a fundamental note. The filter is sensitive to dynamics as well. So the ADSR pretty much triggers for any signal but the filter timbre varies with the envelope. Playing percussively generates much sharper filters and playing softly with your fingers creates a smoother filter.

On the Axe, you can use the ADSR to control something like the frequency of a high pass filter to approximate the over all sweep sound. The ADSR needs to be triggered at the start of the first delay tap but the ADSR triggers based on In1 or In2 so you need the filter to be in front of the Megatap to have the sweep start right.
That is an insane level of attentiveness and descriptive power I can only dream of having someday! Very well-said.

Now, as far as a built in Tera Echo without having to tweak all sorts of blocks?

+1 :)

very hard to discern what's going on with it from YouTube demos of people playing cowboy chords or blues licks through it. if someone has one and can record a single hit through it, so we can hear what the delay repeats and filtering is doing, we might be able to get close to some settings.

it's the megatap delay with an envelope controlled bandpass filter after, isn't it?
No. Each tap (or perhaps grouping of taps) has an independent filter. I have one here. The filter doesn't reset/retrigger. This causes "independent cascades" of "sequentially filtered" taps.

It's undeniably a "neato" effect, but I can't see not being able to effectively equal its general intent with something even quite different. Weird and cool is weird and cool.

Last edited:
very hard to discern what's going on with it from YouTube demos of people playing cowboy chords or blues licks through it. if someone has one and can record a single hit through it, so we can hear what the delay repeats and filtering is doing, we might be able to get close to some settings.
This demo gives a pretty good impression

so just before 5 mins, you can hear him hit a chord. the delay repeats sound just like the megatap delay with time alpha at about 60 percent. the problem is the filter, as it seems to retrigger several times about a second apart and filtering different groups of delays. it's triggered by envelope. it would be possible to send the megatap into 4 delays, all a second apart at 100% mix, all followed up with a filter, if the filter could be triggered by the block input. unfortunately, we can only do this at the moment. it's something i asked for a long time ago, but didn't get much traction. it would actually be incredibly useful for a whole bunch of stuff. we already have the ability to select "detector source" in the pitch block, so something similar controlling the frequency and the q of the filter would be very cool.

Back
Top Bottom