branskylar

Brothers,

What is your favorite/the most effective way to temporarily boost
output, say for a lead or solo?

I'm sure there's a CC for that.

Cheers,
B

*first thread post*

I use a geq block after amp, which boosts by about 2.1 db, i think i have it set. Advantage of the geq is you can enhance the tone a little should you wish.

As for setting levels i engage this block and operate the wah with delay and then adjust the amp vol away from red clip.

^^^^^ Null Fliter most of the time set for 2.5 db but I'm not competing with a 2nd guitar if I was maybe 3db boost.

I'll either use a Scene with the output volume saved a few db higher, or a null filter with 3-4 db. The null filter is available in all patches, so I can kick it in at any time. I use the Scene method if I need to turn on/off a few effects for my lead tone - it's a neater way of doing it all in one hit.

I use a global volume block, that way it tracks with state changes and I can modify my boost across all my presets. In the rare instance I need more or less boost for the solo in a certain song (I use one patch per song, all originals, solos are always scene 4) I'll modify the scene with a tap of the scene volume up/down IAs. Though using an EQ block would be nice if you want to also change the tone a bit. I do that in front of my dirty amp block though, with a drive block, that way I can also kick in the boost on clean tones with out effecting the tone.

Last edited:
Filter here also. I just make it a standard block in presets so I can dial in whatever boost is needed for that particular combination. Has worked since the Ultra days.

Temporary Boost - 2 Ways

Brothers,

What is your favorite/the most effective way to temporarily boost
output, say for a lead or solo?

I'm sure there's a CC for that.

Cheers,
B

*first thread post*

I do it two ways.

First, I set all the preset volumes to be about equal (a separate question!), a good volume but without clipping/going into the red.

WAY ONE: Then set up a Scene 1 and a Scene 2 for each preset. Scene 2 has the Main Output volume set to 0 db; I reduce Scene 1's Main Output level by about - 4.72 db. I'll sometimes have the delay only on for Scene 2 (for leads), but the scenes can be exactly the same except you reduce the default Scene, Scene 1's, volume.

So when it's time for your lead, switch to Scene 2, then switch back to Scene 1 after your lead. If you have the MFC MIDI foot controller, step on the Reveal button before you start the song so that you can easily change scenes with the footswitches.

WAY TWO, VERY EASY: I also have a dedicated preset for leads (JVM OD2). Its Scene 1 output is left at 0 d, no reduction. I use whatever rhythm preset for the song, then for the lead, I just step on the switch for the lead preset, then go back to the previous preset after my lead. I do this for most of my leads, they all have the same tone and volume. VERY easy.

The second way is the easiest, you don't have to change scenes, just go to the lead preset, then back to the song's main preset. BUT you still have to have the "rhythm" presets' volumes reduced so that the lead preset will be louder.

You COULD just make the lead preset louder than all the rest. But I try to get the optimum volume on all the presets, with all of them also equal, so it seemed logical to me to leave the lead at optimum volume, so the output won't be in the red, and turn down the rest.

Back
Top Bottom