Temporarily buy an Ultra while waiting for the II?

RJSAudio.

Inspired
Hi there,

So I'm on the waiting list for the II, but I've have been reading that it could be several months or more before I actually get a unit. I personally have no clue how long it will take, but that's how long some are saying. So in the meantime I was thinking about purchasing an Ultra off of eBay/Craigslist and using that until I receive my II, as I'd like to get started learning the interface, and switching over to a digital rig.

My question is: would it be smart to buy an used Ultra online and then sell it when my II is ready? I figure the Ultras have already taken their price hit, so I'd be buying something and selling it in the same condition, meaning it seems like there wouldn't be much cost to using the Ultra for the next few months. However, do you think the Ultra's will go down even more in price in the next coming months, since the II is not readily available? The Ultras I'm looking at are $1500-1700 dollars, and several of them are like 3 months old.

Please don't get angry for me posting this. I know talking about money around here is pretty much illegal, but...this is reality.

Thanks! :D:D:D (you can't get upset at those smileys can you?)

I wouldn't buy an ultra at this point. If you can find one, a standard would be better. Their prices have remained much more stable.

I considered doing something like that before I jumped the line. Unless you already have a decent audio and midi interface, I think that's too much money to sink into things you know you're not going to hold on to for very long. (plus the hassle of buying and selling)

I would suggest either paying the premium to get one now, or find a cheaper alternative to play through if you're ampless in the mean time.

I sold my ultra the week before the II was released.

After they put the waiting list in I ran out and bought a Standard.

So I certainly don't think what your saying is dumb at all.

I sold my ultra the week before the II was released.

After they put the waiting list in I ran out and bought a Standard.

So I certainly don't think what your saying is dumb at all.

Did you buy a standard cuz you thought the ultra was going to go down even more? Has it gone down more since you sold it?

I wouldn't pay more than $1400 for an ultra. Once more IIs start hitting the street and they are readily available, the Ultra will be lucky to fetch that much.

Every forum I've checked has had them around 1150 - 1250. Where have you seen them for 1400? If eBay, the. You have to subtract eBay fees, etc...
$1320 for the only one on evilbay, and its not done yet! Ultras are 1500-1700 !

I was noticing earlier today that the prices are holding / bouncing back a bit now that reality has settled in. Supply and demand still rule.... It doesn't hurt that the Ultra is a killer unit still either.

standards and ultras will plummet even further once the II is more readily available and easily obtainable at $2200. Guaranteed. Anyone who pays $1400 for a standard or $1700 for an ultra is going to lose $ in the long run.

Assuming it remains available at $2200... I'm not sure I would assume that given the MSRP listed. That's a decision completely up to Fractal.

Did you buy a standard cuz you thought the ultra was going to go down even more? Has it gone down more since you sold it?

There was a Standard available in my area was all. And I knew what I used the ultra for, the Standard would be fine

I haven't done the math, but from what I have seen it seems the prices for both the Standard and Ultra started to rebound a little bit once it became clear that the Axe II's where selling out so quickly.

Best way to know for sure though is to just look in Ebay at completed listings for the past few months.

Nah, the way to go is to sell your Ultra for a loss, then go months without any rig at all, while watching the Ultra prices rise back up as AxeII stays hard-to-buy.

Oh wait, that's not the good way, that's the way I went :p

standards and ultras will plummet even further once the II is more readily available and easily obtainable at $2200.
IOW, around the time hell freezes over. :) In case you haven't noticed, they're not selling for $2200, they're going for $2600. The folks on the waiting list will eventually get theirs for the discounted price, but the period of time it will take them doesn't qualify for "readily available and easily obtainable." And, once the original wait list is exhausted, my money says the actual street price will stay where it is now rather than drop. And that's as it should be: the Axe-Fx II has a lot of capabilities and features that the Gen I devices do not and is therefore worth a lot more.

Anyone who pays $1400 for a standard or $1700 for an ultra is going to lose $ in the long run.
In the long run, we all take a dirt nap. A few bucks one way or the other on a piece of gear is nothing to get your panties in a wad about. ;)

I think the talk and speculation on plummeting prices is really just wishful thinking by peeps hoping to grab a unit for cheap.

Every forum I've checked has had them around 1150 - 1250. Where have you seen them for 1400? If eBay, the. You have to subtract eBay fees, etc...

eBay and Craigslist I suppose. I honestly didn't even know about the wanted/selling area of this forum until yesterday, haha...good find!

Back
Top Bottom