Tempo is always Global Regardless of "Temp To use" setting

frankencat

Inspired
My FM3 "Tempo To Use" is set to Preset but the tempo seems to be global regardless of this setting. I thought if I st it this way that each preset should have it's own tempo. Is this a bug or maybe I am misunderstanding? Thanks.

It's about the saved tempo, not the current active tempo. If you save the preset with whatever tempo (e.g. 96), that tempo will be set upon preset load (and can vary by controller channel as desired).

Last edited:
It is not the preset. No matter what preset I change to it always has the same tempo. I don't know how else to explain it. It is always set to whatever the tap tempo is even when I change presets. It's not a huge deal but there are presets where I would like it to default to a specific tempo so I don't have to do the tap dance for every song. ;)

It is always set to whatever the tap tempo is even when I change presets.
Let’s start by clarifying what you mean by “tap tempo.” There is no value called “tap tempo.” If you tap in a tempo, that will become the current tempo, no matter what you’ve set elsewhere.

I just tried this on my FM3, and it’s working fine. Whatever tempo I save the preset at, that’s the tempo I get when I load the preset. Of course, if I tap in a new tempo, the tempo will change.

What happens if you start up the unit, don’t tap in any tempo, then change to new presets - are they loading with the saved tempo?

Are you unintentionally sending MIDI clock to the unit?

Ok so I have confused presets and scenes. What I want is for a scene to have a specific tempo but I am guessing that is not possible currently. Sorry for the confusion all.

Keep in mind that changing the controllers' channel will affect all of the controller types together. If you're using any of the other controller types like the LFO's, Envelope Follower, ADSR, etc. in that preset, those setting will also change when you change the channel. You might need to duplicate those settings to the other channels to keep those consistent.

Just to clarify, the current tempo is always the Global Tempo, just like it says in the title of this thread. If Tempo to Use is set to “Preset,” then the saved preset tempo will be copied to the Global Tempo when the preset is loaded, and that will become the new current tempo — until you change the tempo with a tap, or in some other way.

That's possible but not for all 8 scenes.
Tempo is part of the Controllers "block".
And the Controllers "block" has 4 channels.
So you can have 4 different tempos in your preset, based on those 4 channels.
Wow nice tip ! Never ever would have thought about that

Back
Top Bottom