Temple Audio Amp Mod - an alternative to the SD Power Stage 170?

MrPond

Experienced
Hello!

I'm still stuck on the waiting list and in the meantime, i'm searching for power amp possibilities (planning on running the FM3 in a classic way, hooked up to my orange 412/212 guitar cab). I thought the Semour Duncan Power Stage 170 is the right choice (because many of you guys are already using it) - but - there is an amp by Temple Audio on it's way: https://www.templeaudio.com/amp-mod

I can't get any more information about this thing, but it sounds really really cool (very small, stereo, and everything sim related like power amp/cab can be turned off).
Is this thing already around in the US? 75W mono does sounds very weak compared to the 170W by the Power Stage 170? .....

Any thoughts? :)
Niklas

Didn't know they had this but it's very cool it can mount into the side panel of their boards. Interested to know how you like it.

I saw this the other day too. I at one point tried the Quilter 45W amp to see if it would be passable for a low volume amp in a band setting. It wasn't enough for me. FWIW, I'm a bass player and bass needs much more power to be usable than a guitar. So depending on the volume you need, it may work. If you're trying to power a cab at higher volumes it may fall short.

Bumping this thread. Has anyone tried this yet? I'm really interested in this to drive a pair of 2x12s at high volume. Appreciate any insight.

There is no way this is anywhere near loud enough for anything except bedroom levels. Cool idea though.
This is my concern also. I was just hoping to get someone's real world experience. The Sweetwater write-up claims their testers were impressed with it and mentions driving a 4x12. There are no customer reviews yet.

Since my Katana 100 2x12 is also solid state and has volume to spare at ear-splitting levels, I am remaining skeptically hopeful.

This is my concern also. I was just hoping to get someone's real world experience. The Sweetwater write-up claims their testers were impressed with it and mentions driving a 4x12. There are no customer reviews yet.

Since my Katana 100 2x12 is also solid state and has volume to spare at ear-splitting levels, I am remaining skeptically hopeful.
It would definitely be interesting to hear in person. Especially with those kind of claims.

I'm a fan of the PowerStage 200. At 16 ohms, it's a perfect match with my Friedman 112 cab. It does okay driving a 412 too, but I have a Matrix GT1000 for that.

I think the more important question is 75 watts at what resistance? 8 ohm? Half that at 16, I'd think. Would it even be loud enough?

Seems like a cool idea, but the dc power jack worries me. Going to need a power supply at least 5x the size of the unit itself. I'm in the market for a pedalboard friendly stereo power amp, so who knows.

Just got a Harley Benton GPA-100. It is advertised with 100 watts into 8 ohms or 190 watts into 4 ohms. On the single 8 ohm G12H-30 of my 50W Marshall combo at home it is nowhere near the Volume of the 50w tube combo. Before I take it to the rehearsal, I will solder my big cab from 16 to 4 Ohm. With a 8 ohm load it is not loud enough to keep up with our drummer. At the moment I still have doubts whether it is loud enough with a 4 ohm load.

Edit: I was wrong. Just tried it with a ENGL 4x12 8 ohm in our room and it could be loud enough with a drummer. Not bad for the small size.

Last edited:
My two cents about the Power Stage 170:
At around 1 o clock, the volume is higher compared to my real jcm800 (50 watts).
You need to check if your out 2 level is right. It sounds that you are not going out at 0db.
Definitly check your Out 2 block level, my guess is: You are all running waaaaay to low from that ...
My preset is around 0db at the out 2 block, and really - it's unbelievable loud - and i'm running 16 ohm cabs (412 and 212).

Back
Top Bottom