Tell me your tales of Teles

maschoff

Experienced
I've always wanted one and never played one. I totally dig Jim Campilongo but am a fan of John 5 and James #4 (Jim Root) also.

I want a Tele that will do it all.

1. Is that a possibility? Please excuse my ignorance.
2. If so, how? :)

I'm thinking ash body, maple neck, rosewood fret board lipstick neck and split coil bridge PUs. Need help with guitar manufacturers, types of pickups and such; doesn't have to be a Fender.

What I love most about the Tele may be the baritone Teles;that really clean deep low string bend and release. But I was wondering if this characteristic might be better acquired via a 7 string guitar? A totally different subject but if it matters I'd like to discuss them now, if possible.

Would love to hear your Tele tales! Thanks! Mike

Thanks! Mike

Most stock Teles will. All but Metal (unless you use humbuckers like John 5)

The stock Tele is on more recordings than most people ever realize. Solo to 'Stairway To Heaven' ( basically all of the Zep 1), Closer to The Heart (Countless Rush tunes) Blues, Country, Jazz, Fusion, serious Rockabilly and ENDLESS Rock tunes.. The 'thing about a 'Tele' is that you have to play it. You...you. It requires YOU to be in charge. I have 5. They are my #1, each of mine are different. All get used.

For a GREAT guitar, choose Nash, Suhr, Anderson, Select Fenders or any number of awesome customs (more nice ones in the UK IMO). To 'start, get a traditional Tele config. You'll know right away whether they are for you.
Best guitar design in the world IMO.

Cheers!

I've always wanted one and never played one. I totally dig Jim Campilongo but am a fan of John 5 and James #4 (Jim Root) also.

I'm thinking ash body, maple neck, rosewood fret board lipstick neck and split coil bridge PUs. Need help with guitar manufacturers, types of pickups and such; doesn't have to be a Fender.

What I love most about the Tele may be the baritone Teles;that really clean deep low string bend and release. But I was wondering if this characteristic might be better acquired via a 7 string guitar? A totally different subject but if it matters I'd like to discuss them now, if possible.

Would love to hear your Tele tales! Thanks! Mike

My G&L ASAT (special) with MFD pickups is the best tele style guitar I have ever played/owned. I would put it up against a squire classic vibe tele, 50's esquire and my Nashville power teles any day!

I have a 1996 USA Standard Tele. It's blonde with a maple neck.
I always struggled with it, mainly because it has a rather clubby C profile neck that's almost a D actually. I dislike clubby necks generally although they are pretty good for basic chord/rhythm playing.
Anyway apart from that I was disappointed with the sound of it. I thought it sounded kind of nondescript. It lacked that 'Tele' sound that you'd expect. I figured it was either the pickups or the brass bridge plate and six-saddle arrangement (vintage type Tele's have a bent steel bridge and three saddles). But recently I struck gold. I simply changed those 90's 'Block' saddles for callagham bent steel strat type saddles, and BAM! there's that tele sound. Full -On. Wow! what a difference.
Love the guitar now!

My G&L ASAT (special) with MFD pickups is the best tele style guitar I have ever played/owned. I would put it up against a squire classic vibe tele, 50's esquire and my Nashville power teles any day!

Agreed, though you really need to like the neck profile. Also the MFD pickups have more mid-range bite and less chime. They are a bit of a paradox as they sound 'tele-ish' yet not like a Tele. More like a great sounding cousin.
Great guitars either way. RG

I always struggled with it, mainly because it has a rather clubby C profile neck that's almost a D actually. I dislike clubby necks generally although they are pretty good for basic chord/rhythm playing.
Anyway apart from that I was disappointed with the sound of it. I thought it sounded kind of nondescript. It lacked that 'Tele' sound that you'd expect. I figured it was either the pickups or the brass bridge plate and six-saddle arrangement (vintage type Tele's have a bent steel bridge and three saddles). But recently I struck gold. I simply changed those 90's 'Block' saddles for callagham bent steel strat type saddles, and BAM! there's that tele sound. Full -On. Wow! what a difference.
Love the guitar now!

Thats funny! My most 'twangiest' most 'classic' Tele has 6 stainless saddles and 'stacks' hum cancelling pickups. And I have some seriously 'vintage' guitars! Ha. Honestly, each guitar is different IME. Finding the right combo is a great feeling! RG

Love the guitar now!

I have the Callaham saddles and block on my strat and it nails classic tones ... definitely the best mod I made to that guitar, so I totally get what you mean craiguitar :)

Thanks Everyone for your input!

Love my American Vintage 62. Very sleek neck profile on those. Awesome sound, but I got tired of noise so I installed a DiMarzio Area-T set and have never been happier! I have heard some awesome metal tones out of tele's, something Clark Kent posted a couple years back comes to mind. I find its the most comfortable guitar of all, easy to mod and there are tons of stacked humbuckers, hi-gain and vintage pickups available to drop in.

the three iconic electrics: tele, strat, les paul.
as for brands, totally subjective. one man's poison ... as the saying goes. try lots. of course can't really go wrong with a good fender. good 80s tokai for me, lsl is another one.

Hi boogieman75, just wondering which G&L ASAT (special) you have, mahogany or ash body?

Hi boogieman75, just wondering which G&L ASAT (special) you have, mahogany or ash body?

Swamp ash. Funny story! i was looking at getting an ASAT for awhile and my buddy, who is not on this forum, actually purchased this from a forum member. My buddy sold it to me shortly after...I didn't know he was on here until after I purchased it :) Details here...

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/sale/64351-fs-g-l-asat-special-usa.html

I LOVE this guitar! the neck is PERFECT for me! I believe he sanded it down with fine grit and put Tung oil on it. Maybe he will chime in here :)

It is the best guitar I have ever owned/played and my buddy owns/has owned plenty of ASAT'S to compare. Will Ray's, a couple 88 signatures, tributes etc... I have not played a guitar since that equals the playability of this one.

Swamp ash. Funny story! i was looking at getting an ASAT for awhile and my buddy, who is not on this forum, actually purchased this from a forum member. My buddy sold it to me shortly after...I didn't know he was on here until after I purchased it :) Details here...

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/sale/64351-fs-g-l-asat-special-usa.html

I LOVE this guitar! the neck is PERFECT for me! I believe he sanded it down with fine grit and put Tung oil on it. Maybe he will chime in here :)

It is the best guitar I have ever owned/played and my buddy owns/has owned plenty of ASAT'S to compare. Will Ray's, a couple 88 signatures, tributes etc... I have not played a guitar since that equals the playability of this one.

;) That was the one I was looking at ... it's pretty :) Besides, I was looking for more of a spanky tone.

;) That was the one I was looking at ... it's pretty :) Besides, I was looking for more of a spanky tone.

Im a fan, though considering your initial post, the MFD pickups and tone of an ASAT will not get you classic Tele tones, but rather 'Tele-ish' ballpark. A big part of the 'sound' of a Tele is the steel bridge with a copper bottom plated pickup interacting/coupling with it. The ASATs sound great, but you may find the bite (not spank) to be a bit much for any classic tones. My ASAT is 20 years old, Ash 5.9 lbs and extremely aggressive sounding. Definitely a cool guitar....and definitely not a classic Tele tone. The Will Ray model is 3 pickups, hum-cancelling (p-bass style) Again spanky and Tele-ish, cool tones, but not classic Tele. Cheers!

Im a fan, though considering your initial post, the MFD pickups and tone of an ASAT will not get you classic Tele tones, but rather 'Tele-ish' ballpark. A big part of the 'sound' of a Tele is the steel bridge with a copper bottom plated pickup interacting/coupling with it. The ASATs sound great, but you may find the bite (not spank) to be a bit much for any classic tones. My ASAT is 20 years old, Ash 5.9 lbs and extremely aggressive sounding. Definitely a cool guitar....and definitely not a classic Tele tone. The Will Ray model is 3 pickups, hum-cancelling (p-bass style) Again spanky and Tele-ish, cool tones, but not classic Tele. Cheers!

You nailed it! The MFD-it's almost like that perfect balance in-between a single coil and almost humbucker-ish, smooth and round mids...but all the goodness that of a single coil offers. Aggressive indeed! And -it doesn't tear your face off like a humbucker could. Yet, they can still twang say vs a P90. My Les Paul special w/ p90 is very dark sounding by comparison :)

ASAT is the best guitar for country rock I have ever played.

You nailed it! The MFD-it's almost like that perfect balance in-between a single coil and almost humbucker-ish, smooth and round mids...but all the goodness that of a single coil offers. Aggressive indeed! And -it doesn't tear your face off like a humbucker could. Yet, they can still twang say vs a P90. My Les Paul special w/ p90 is very dark sounding by comparison :)

ASAT is the best guitar for country rock I have ever played.

Yes! Its a weird thing for me. When I pick up the ASAT, the thin neck profile and satin finish the bitey chime, all of it I feel like 'wow' this is it! This is the 'the' tone. And I play it all day. Then turn around and pick up my Nash Tele and I think 'oh'... I get it. I see the light. I can't describe it but I cannot commit to the ASAT as a main axe. I think it is like that for many players. They are generally better made guitars than Fender and yet low resale. A paradox. I like the clubby neck profile of an old Tele. Bottom line the ASAT special and MFD are just cool guitars and are a safe recommendation.

Cheers!

Thanks for the heads up TexasHeartRush. I'm not much of a P-90 fan and from some videos I checked out the MFDs seem a little too aggressive for my needs.

OK ... I found myself on the Suhr site looking at $4,000+ Teles and then I found this video Fender Standard Swirl Telecaster (Pavel Marcel) - YouTube.

American Musical Supply was offering a free case with purchase, so for ~$500 I decided to go cheap for now which my wife absolutely loved :) Pickup upgrades, saddles and strings should make this fit the bill for now. The guitar doesn't arrive till January but I'll upload pics and bites when it does.

Thanks everyone! You've definitely given me a lot to think about for upgrading this guitar and for future Tele purchases. :encouragement:

My LSL T-bone (Telecaster) is one of the most incredible instruments I've ever had in my hands (My LSL Strat is amazing too). Much better than any Fender Custom Shop, and my LSL strat is as good or better than a beautiful '54 Fender Masterbuilt I had.

So the first Swirl came in December, unannounced, from American Musical Supply. It was the blue one, not the grey one and it had a big dent out of the corner where the output jack is, so it was returned. Obviously, they were sending that one around hoping somebody would take it. The second ugly blue one arrived in February, and had a nasty fret buzz on the G string at the 10th fret ... sent back.

So I said screw it, I have everything but a tele body and neck, so I decided to give Warmoth a try:

20140327_132339.jpg

20140327_183116.jpg

20140327_183249.jpg

20140329_132836.jpg

20140329_132846.jpg

Now the question, with or without the pickguard?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom