Tell me about Tennessee

I hear Austin suffers from the same problem as California, as in California politics. Most Texans I hear online seem to say its best to avoid. This is what I hear, so I can't verify this.

I would agree, that seems to be the consensus amongst the Texans I’ve encountered. Many Texan’s will make a face and then instantly bring up politics when Austin is mentioned. Personally, I see that as pretty short sighted...kind of a cut off your nose to spite your face view. Like anything these days, if you choose to look for a negative, or people who don’t fit in “your group”...you will find it. I choose to look for the positives, and Austin has many...sure, there are things I don’t agree with, but I’m having too much fun to notice.

Joe Rogan Just relocated there....his leaning is pretty transparent, so maybe there is more to consider than just one or two things?

Tennessee is brilliant. Texas, too, in different ways. (Not as much to my liking, flora-and-fauna-wise and weather-wise.) The right parts of Georgia and North and South Carolina are pretty great, too. I've lived in most of those areas. They all have their bad bits (sticky humid summertimes are high on the list) but, taking one thing with another and considering the alternatives, they're still very good. And you'll be welcome. I've certainly been blessed by all my friendships with folks who fled California for one reason or another, and unless they're hiding something, they certainly seem happy to be here.

NOTE: People accustomed to places like Arizona (and to a lesser degree, some parts of California) have reported feeling vaguely claustrophobic when outdoors in North Carolina, north Georgia, Tennessee, etc. because so much area is shaded by overarching trees with relatively dense foliage. For the same reason, I, having been raised in the latter areas, do not regard California as "adequately green," not even northern California. (And the mesas of the Southwest are interesting but stark: I'd never want to live near them.) To me, the "golden hills" of California, and even wine country, just look brown and barren, and even Muir Woods seems dry and the trees have too few branches. It's a difference of preference...but it's surprising how keenly one can feel it. My favorite outdoor experiences are always associated with the dappled silver light filtered through the oak boughs and pines (higher up) and then (one level down), the dogwoods. The contrast is felt more profoundly the closer you are to mountains; the coastal plains don't have such a profound effect. Anyway, if that's your jam, get ye to the Appalachians, or at least Nashville, as fast as can be.

It's funny because I am slowly plotting my escape from North Carolina :)

Please keep politics out of this thread or posts will be moderated.

@iaresee the area in Tennessee coming from the Asheville, NC area through the Great Smoky Mountains is brilliant. Nashville is really cool for music of course. Otherwise, it's a pretty typical US city although it seems less jam packed than other cities.

@iaresee the area in Tennessee coming from the Asheville, NC area through the Great Smoky Mountains is brilliant. Nashville is really cool for music of course. Otherwise, it's a pretty typical US city although it seems less jam packed than other cities.
yes...gorgeous...eastern tennesee is the most beautiful part of tennessee...if you want big city lifestyle look elsewhere....but asheville nc is a beautiful area and worthy of a visit

...eastern tennesee is the most beautiful part of tennessee...if you want big city lifestyle look elsewhere....but asheville nc is a beautiful area and worthy of a visit
Roger that.

I'm constitutionally allergic to "big city lifestyle." I don't mean that I'm corn-pone and country-fried or anything. I like symphony orchestras and museums, so I'll dare to enter a city on rare occasion in pursuit of those. But it gives me bad vibes, like swimming in a toxin-contaminated lake. It's like "Land of Confusion": "There's too many men, too many people, making too many problems, and not much love to go 'round." That's penned by someone stuck in a city. Nobody feels that way when they're paused at a Blue Ridge Parkway overlook having homemade cobbler and drinking coffee from a thermos.

But Chattanooga and Knoxville (both in Eastern Tennessee) are small enough and close enough to the trees and the mountains that they don't give me that vibe. It only takes ten minutes' drive from the center of Chattanooga to be halfway up a mountain. And Rock City at Christmastime is kinda beautiful, and certainly fun for the kids.

Roger that.

I'm constitutionally allergic to "big city lifestyle." I don't mean that I'm corn-pone and country-fried or anything. I like symphony orchestras and museums, so I'll dare to enter a city on rare occasion in pursuit of those. But it gives me bad vibes, like swimming in a toxin-contaminated lake. It's like "Land of Confusion": "There's too many men, too many people, making too many problems, and not much love to go 'round." That's penned by someone stuck in a city. Nobody feels that way when they're paused at a Blue Ridge Parkway overlook having homemade cobbler and drinking coffee from a thermos.

But Chattanooga and Knoxville (both in Eastern Tennessee) are small enough and close enough to the trees and the mountains that they don't give me that vibe. It only takes ten minutes' drive from the center of Chattanooga to be halfway up a mountain. And Rock City at Christmastime is kinda beautiful, and certainly fun for the kids.
ditto

Having moved to Denver a couple of years ago after 8 years in the Utah mountains, I really can agree with this. We moved for better business opportunities, fair enough. But it was a hard transition at first - I really miss the smaller town vibe (and we were still 45 mins from Salt Lake City when we wanted concerts, sports, theater, foodie hangouts, etc). Denver's cool as far as big cities go but still, meh... give me trees and creeks and open spaces and blue skies. And skiing ;-) At least I'm near the mountains, unlike almost everywhere else.

Born and raised in Chattanooga (2Hrs south of Nashville) and chose to move back after being gone 20 years. Was in Atlanta and Memphis and those were fun cities that had their pros and cons.

Nashville metro is the more expensive for housing of all the TN cities but not terrible. Traffic also is not great but nothing like Atlanta. As someone else said East TN has some of the most beautiful scenery in the country but it’s a hike to get to from Nashville.

You being a music fan will certainly like Nashville. Maybe not as cool as Austin or as unique as Memphis but there is something for everyone.

DC is pretty bad. It's kind of the same deal, where people will willingly buy houses 90 miles and commute in though. I'll never understand it. I worked with a guy that commuted in from West Virginia every day.
I took a job at a less glamorous company last fall to cut my commute from 1.5 hours to 20 minutes one-way and the improvement to my life was remarkable. Now, with working from home and never commuting at all, I'm ready to only consider jobs that will allow mostly work from home for the rest of my career. I don't mind a quarterly visit to an office. Even every 6th week. But daily? Never again.

I took a job at a less glamorous company last fall to cut my commute from 1.5 hours to 20 minutes one-way and the improvement to my life was remarkable. Now, with working from home and never commuting at all, I'm ready to only consider jobs that will allow mostly work from home for the rest of my career. I don't mind a quarterly visit to an office. Even every 6th week. But daily? Never again.

I'm kind of there as well, but I don't know if my company is going to support me sticking with it. I do embedded work on some larger industrial stuff, and at times, it's really hard to work things out without getting your hands dirty. I'm down to one day a week in the office right now, which is up from zero during the lockdown. The extra time thing is real though. 20 minutes each way. Having to actually get dressed for work, get any work shit together, etc. It really saves at least an hour a day, and a ton of gas. I had a $300/mo gas bill, but it's only because my daily is a lifted Wrangler.

I've at a non-profit for a bit over a year. I doubt I could have convinced them to try out me working at home (though I did it for years in past lifetimes), but with COVID, the whole IT department has been WFH since I think March (with occasional unavoidable exceptions ), and it's worked out fine.

I've been vocal about my desire to keep doing that, and we'll see, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they'll go along with it. It works, and they know it.

HUGE quality of life improvement for me. I get back literally 3 hours out of every work day w no commute (public transit into Boston), way beyond awesome. Plus cats, lunch without brown-bagging it, errands over lunchtime when I need to, etc. Really great, and sensible too. Who cares what desk I'm physically sitting at?

Back
Top Bottom