Tell me about Tennessee

iaresee

Administrator
Similar to my New Hampshire thread. We’re also considering Tennessee. Looking at Franklin and Brentwood right now. The climate seems more like what we’ve come to know and love in California. The taxes are similar to NH. Great schools in Brentwood. Nashville is right there which seems excellent.

Whats the skinny on Tennessee?

You’ll go broke! So many guitar stores!
But seriously, the climate is sticky in the summer and wet / cold in the winter. It rains almost as much as Seattle. Freezing rain is not uncommon. But that only gives you more time to work on your chops or jam with your neighbors, one of which is bound to be a touring musician.
The quality and quantity of all things music is a huge attraction for me. My son lived there for a while, working in music. I enjoyed visiting.

Last edited:
It rains almost as much as Seattle.
Which is why the region was so critical for the electrification of America.

I spent July - December 2018 in The Knoxville area (Andy Wood whats uuuppp I had a ticket to that show but I had to study for an exam). Not Nashville obviously, however friendly people, beautiful country, dollar goes a lot farther, rained a bunch, but nothing was ever on fire or shaking itself to pieces.

Cost of living is much lower than other states, but opportunity for high paying jobs is also low.
‘it’s beautiful though, and lots of guitars

Born and raised in Nashville, though I've lived in Texas the last few years. Franklin and Brentwood are the most established, affluent "outside the loop" communities for white collar families. If you're willing to go a little further south Spring Hill is still close to Nashville but you can get a lot more bang for your buck. on the NE side Goodlettsville and Hendersonville are older communities that have seen a renaissance lately due to people looking to be outside of Nashville proper but still close. Same could be said fro Bellevue and Kinsgston Springs on the West side. I grew up in East Nashville, right down Main street from downtown. I love that city and would love to move back one day. I've spent countless hours on Friday and Saturday nights playing all the Broadway clubs, good times.

Climate is accurate to what others have said, you'll get all 4 seasons. Plenty hot/humid in the summer, beautiful falls, cold winter with some winter precip and a beautiful spring. Also absolutely gorgeous geography. Hills, trees, tons of lakes. Great hiking, fishing, camping etc.

One of the things that people rarely mention is how close you are to so many other places. you're within a few hours of St Louis, Atlanta, Memphis, Knoxville/Gatlinburg, Birmingham, Cincinnati etc...easy to take a day/overnight trip and see a new city.

Also, crazy good food town and some of the best BBQ around.

I'll be there in December and can't wait to eat at all my spots!!

You’ll go broke! So many guitar stores!
But seriously, the climate is sticky in the summer and wet / cold in the winter. It rains almost as much as Seattle. Freezing rain is not uncommon. But that only gives you more time to work on your chops or jam with your neighbors, one of which is bound to be a touring musician.
The quality and quantity of all things music is a huge attraction for me. My son lived there for a while, working in music. I enjoyed visiting.
Wow. This is almost contrary to what we read on the "10 reasons to move to TN" sites! :D

dollar goes a lot farther, rained a bunch, but nothing was ever on fire or shaking itself to pieces.
Three of those four are strong teasons we're considering it as a place to relocate to! :D I'm sitting here on a beautiful Sunday morning wondering if my power will hold out as the winds pick up. If PG&E so decides, they'll cut my power mid-afternoon and all through tomorrow at a time when temperatures will be well into the 100s in my 'hood. So nice.

Born and raised in Nashville, though I've lived in Texas the last few years. Franklin and Brentwood are the most established, affluent "outside the loop" communities for white collar families. If you're willing to go a little further south Spring Hill is still close to Nashville but you can get a lot more bang for your buck. on the NE side Goodlettsville and Hendersonville are older communities that have seen a renaissance lately due to people looking to be outside of Nashville proper but still close. Same could be said fro Bellevue and Kinsgston Springs on the West side. I grew up in East Nashville, right down Main street from downtown. I love that city and would love to move back one day. I've spent countless hours on Friday and Saturday nights playing all the Broadway clubs, good times.

Climate is accurate to what others have said, you'll get all 4 seasons. Plenty hot/humid in the summer, beautiful falls, cold winter with some winter precip and a beautiful spring. Also absolutely gorgeous geography. Hills, trees, tons of lakes. Great hiking, fishing, camping etc.

One of the things that people rarely mention is how close you are to so many other places. you're within a few hours of St Louis, Atlanta, Memphis, Knoxville/Gatlinburg, Birmingham, Cincinnati etc...easy to take a day/overnight trip and see a new city.

Also, crazy good food town and some of the best BBQ around.

I'll be there in December and can't wait to eat at all my spots!!
This is super helpful information. Thanks.

Coming from 35 years in Canada, I get a kick out of people calling winter "cold". :) We're good with Nashville levels of cold! 4 seasons actually sounds nice. Right now we've got perfect early-summer (but it happens in the spring time) weather, hot-and-dry summer, EVERYTHING IS ON FIRE AND WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE, and then maybe two months of rain before it cycles.

Three of those four are strong teasons we're considering it as a place to relocate to! :D
The chance of earthquake damage in Brentwood is lower than Tennessee average and is much lower than the national average. The risk of tornado damage in Brentwood is higher than Tennessee average and is much higher than the national average. The Nashville area is right in Dixie Alley. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_Alley
There's pretty much nowhere to run from natural disasters.
Also the crime rate in Nashville is not great. They made it in the top 100 of America's most dangerous cities at #45.
https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/blog/top100dangerous

The chance of earthquake damage in Brentwood is lower than Tennessee average and is much lower than the national average. The risk of tornado damage in Brentwood is higher than Tennessee average and is much higher than the national average. The Nashville area is right in Dixie Alley. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_Alley
There's pretty much nowhere to run from natural disasters.
Also the crime rate in Nashville is not great. They made it in the top 100 of America's most dangerous cities at #45.
https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/blog/top100dangerous

There hasn't been an actual earthquake in my lifetime, and tornadoes are pretty rare (though there was a bad one in East Nashville last year, or perhaps early this year. Crime is relative to the area, I'm sure a crime map would be pretty revealing and you'd find most of the crime confined to certain areas and the areas of gentrification that are close to them.

This is super helpful information. Thanks.

Coming from 35 years in Canada, I get a kick out of people calling winter "cold". :) We're good with Nashville levels of cold! 4 seasons actually sounds nice. Right now we've got perfect early-summer (but it happens in the spring time) weather, hot-and-dry summer, EVERYTHING IS ON FIRE AND WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE, and then maybe two months of rain before it cycles.
yeah, not Canada cold, but def good and chilly. Of course I'm used to Houston that has 9 month of hellish summer and 3 months of mostly tolerable weather with a week or 2 of somewhat chilly temps mixed in, lol.

There hasn't been an actual earthquake in my lifetime, and tornadoes are pretty rare (though there was a bad one in East Nashville last year, or perhaps early this year. Crime is relative to the area, I'm sure a crime map would be pretty revealing and you'd find most of the crime confined to certain areas and the areas of gentrification that are close to them.
All stats I pulled from the web. I was actually considering moving there earlier this year before the pandemic hit. So glad I didn't considering the only reason I would move there is for the gigs. Of course, earthquake risk is very low there but apparently not impossible. Tornado risk is very real as is crime which can happen in any area although more prevalent in certain parts of any city. Just pointing out the overall risk is higher there than many other cities in the US including 55 in that list.

Spent some time in Franklin a couple of years ago, very nice part of Nashville area. But yea, hot! humid!

And guitar stores... I went into the GC when I was there and noticed there were very few used guitars. Asked the guy about it, he said "anything good gets bought up right away here." Makes sense.

And then there's this shop I went to at the Factory... the most blingy guitars I've ever seen. The pic doesn't even do them justice (I thought I'd taken more but I guess not).

IMG_5412.JPG

Crime is relative to the area, I'm sure a crime map would be pretty revealing and you'd find most of the crime confined to certain areas and the areas of gentrification that are close to them.
Yea, crime is ridiculously confined in cities. It's really weird how it works.

And then there's this shop I went to at the Factory... the most blingy guitars I've ever seen. The pic doesn't even do them justice (I thought I'd taken more but I guess not).
Zematis? They look like Zematis guitars. Too much bling for my taste, but if you've got the swagger to pull one off they sound real nice.

Back
Top Bottom