Tell me about New Hampshire

I grew up in New England and lived in Nashua, NH for a couple years. Still have a ton of family all over NH as well. I really enjoy NH, overall. The thing I dig about New England (and why I'm moving back in a couple years) is because it feels like a stronger sense of family/community in New England that I haven't seen anywhere else. It's non-existent here in South Florida.

I was in 8th grade when I lived in Nashua and it was back in the mid-90's. I'm not sure how much it's changed as I've only been back once since then, but I LOVED being there back then. I came from a similar sized city in Maine that was 99.8% Franco-Americans, so when I got to Nashua, I finally got to experience some culture outside of what I was used to and I really enjoyed that, without even realizing what it was I was enjoying at the time. There were some AMAZING bike trails that were maintained by the city that I spent all my non-guitar time on.

NH, overall, reminds me of life in the 90's. It was a bit simpler, not as fast paced and busy. There's certainly modern life going on there, but there are plenty of areas where you can dip out of that.

Neglected to mention how beautiful New England is. Too cold in the winter for me, and this comes from somebody who lived in the Utah mts for 10 years. But summer and fall in NE... nice.

In NH I would look at Hanover. Across the river in VT there is Norwich and a little further south, Brattleboro. Burlington, VT has an active music scene.

Across the river in VT there is Norwich and a little further south, Brattleboro. Burlington, VT has an active music scene.
I love VT. But not its taxes. This isn't a move for a love of the land, this is a move to avoid paying taxes.

I love VT. But not its taxes. This isn't a move for a love of the land, this is a move to avoid paying taxes.
"New Hampshire has no income tax on wages and salaries. However, there is a 5% tax on interest and dividends. The state also has no sales tax. Homeowners in New Hampshire pay the third-highest average effective property tax rate in the country."

You knew they had to get money from somewhere.

"New Hampshire has no income tax on wages and salaries. However, there is a 5% tax on interest and dividends. The state also has no sales tax. Homeowners in New Hampshire pay the third-highest average effective property tax rate in the country."

You knew they had to get money from somewhere.
Yes, I never said they have no taxes. I'd pay considerably fewer taxes in NH than where I live now. VT, not so much.

Yes, I never said they have no taxes. I'd pay considerably fewer taxes in NH than where I live now. VT, not so much.
Of course, and if you rent, then there's a big benefit to live in NH. If you buy a big, expensive house, have lots of stocks & savings that aren't IRA or 401k, then maybe not such a great place to move. Just the weather would be a deal breaker for me!

My wife and I lived in Manchester and Concord for several years. We would drive to Boston all the time, and though we've lived in a bunch of different parts of the country, culturally all our favorite experiences were in Boston (I got to ask Michael Cimino a question at a bizarre movie screening!). Driving further north, it was really beautiful, and the towns all over were full of character. Especially if you're into museums, everything you could want is in close proximity. We drove to weird exhibit of NH Wyeth paintings that normally only hang in the cafeteria of a private school, and it was one of the coolest things I've seen. On the downsides for me, the level of humidity in the summer was too much for me to take, and our prospects for renting an apartment were awful because of our limited budget. I remember an NHPR program discussing how younger people were leaving the state, leaving the remaining residents as home owners. I still loved it, and we've talked many times of moving back there.

Of course, and if you rent, then there's a big benefit to live in NH. If you buy a big, expensive house, have lots of stocks & savings that aren't IRA or 401k, then maybe not such a great place to move. Just the weather would be a deal breaker for me!
Everything, once you've lived in California, is less. Much less. :D Divendeds are taxes at 13.3% in CA.

I saw that but a lot can happen in 2 years & if the economy tanks anymore, they may postpone that or replace it with something else. Who knows. I have lived all my life in Cal. & lived 25 years in N. Cal so I know how expensive it is, especially the Bay Area. I may be looking for a place to escape to as well but if the status quo remains, it won't be anywhere in the US!

I live in Portland, ME, and have spent a lot of time in NH. Portsmouth is great if you want big city amenities with a small town feel. If you want something a little more nature-y, North Conway would be my choice, though it can get crowded during summer and ski season (at least in non-virus years.) Hannover is pretty cool as well.

I saw that but a lot can happen in 2 years & if the economy tanks anymore, they may postpone that or replace it with something else. Who knows. I have lived all my life in Cal. & lived 25 years in N. Cal so I know how expensive it is, especially the Bay Area. I may be looking for a place to escape to as well but if the status quo remains, it won't be anywhere in the US!
If not USA, where do you think you'd go? We wouldnt' go back to Canada. It's not worth the tax hit at our age. Canada looks better and better as your income trends towards zero and you're ready to pack it in.
Fractal is in NH. :)
Yea. Plaistow is on the list of possible towns too (looking at Bedford and Rye too). @FractalAudio -- am I crazy? What's the real deal on New Hampshire living I need to understand?

Maybe he's quiet because it's a good secret to keep? :D

Everything seems to be baseboard heating or forced electric. And electricity rates look super high there. Does everyone just eat a $500/month electricty bill in the winter?

How's summer? Humid as hell? Black flies bad all around?

Everything seems to be baseboard heating or forced electric. And electricity rates look super high there. Does everyone just eat a $500/month electricty bill in the winter?

How's summer? Humid as hell? Black flies bad all around?

No gas furnaces?

Back
Top Bottom