Tell me about New Hampshire

iaresee

Administrator
The world is upside on the West coast these days. My job has started to be freed from the shackles of an office. New Hampshire has interesting tax-related properties that seem nice to me.

But what's it like to live there?

The suburbs seem really rural compared to what I'm used to. Acre plus lots, tons of trees.

Winters: fine. Grew up in Canada and what NH calls winter doesn't scare me. There's snow, but it isn't that cold.

What else should I know about this other side of the USA? How does a state get by with just a low parcel tax rate and no income tax? Is it all falling into a decay as a result?

Final Rs after a vowel are dropped, i.e., "New Hampsha", but words that end in vowels often have an R added to them, i.e., "Linder". So, one might hear a sentence like, "Linder got a ticket fah pahking the cah in a no-pahking zone out at the fahm stoah. The officah also wrote heh a ticket fah expired registration" in passing....

I used to go up every year, do some motorcycle riding around the state, camp, hang out. I thought it was beautiful. Cold AF in the winter though. West Coast people aren't really prepared for that level of cold, freezing rain, snow, ice, etc. Great you can work from home, as you won't have to figure out how to get into your car since it has 1" of solid ice on it, and you couldn't go anywhere anyway, since the roads haven';t been plowed. Your generator is running low, and they don't expect to restore power for another week. Of course, if you aren't in the sticks, maybe it's not bad.

I used to go up every year, do some motorcycle riding around the state, camp, hang out. I thought it was beautiful. Cold AF in the winter though. West Coast people aren't really prepared for that level of cold, freezing rain, snow, ice, etc. Great you can work from home, as you won't have to figure out how to get into your car since it has 1" of solid ice on it, and you couldn't go anywhere anyway, since the roads haven';t been plowed. Your generator is running low, and they don't expect to restore power for another week. Of course, if you aren't in the sticks, maybe it's not bad.

I've experienced all of that...in Chicago.

I lived in Laconia, and in Manchester, both long ago, but I was on the road a ton back then, not home that much. Manchester, meh, Southern NH, same. Laconia, really the country around and north of there, not the town so much, is beautiful.

If you're not constrained by needing local work, you might also check out Vermont, some of my favorite country anywhere.

Not sure about fast internet in either place except in the cities; you'd probably want that if you're working remotely.

The world is upside on the West coast these days. My job has started to be freed from the shackles of an office. New Hampshire has interesting tax-related properties that seem nice to me.

But what's it like to live there?

The suburbs seem really rural compared to what I'm used to. Acre plus lots, tons of trees.

Winters: fine. Grew up in Canada and what NH calls winter doesn't scare me. There's snow, but it isn't that cold.

What else should I know about this other side of the USA? How does a state get by with just a low parcel tax rate and no income tax? Is it all falling into a decay as a result?

I'm not sure how this will play out post-COVID, but be aware that many companies adjust compensation for remote workers to match the cost-of-living of their residence.

So, the $185k you make in San Fran will likely be reduced if you move to Podunk, Nowhere.

it still may be worth it to you. I mention this because I know a few people who were surprised by this in recent conversations.

Yeah but that's because it actually costs a lot less to live almost anywhere other than SF.
Of course. That's the whole "cost of living" thing. My point is that you should count on this. Some people believe they'll continue to earn the same regardless of location. I don't think that is a safe bet and one should plan accordingly.

if your living in CA and move to east coast, you probably should stock up on freezing cold equipment as most likely you'll be b unprepared for 9 months out of the year is cold, but I suppose its better than 3 months of continuous fires and smoke while CA and west coast burns...

if your living in CA and move to east coast, you probably should stock up on freezing cold equipment as most likely you'll be b unprepared for 9 months out of the year is cold, but I suppose its better than 3 months of continuous fires and smoke while CA and west coast burns...

The warmest thing I own anymore is a hoodie. When I visit family back East I freeze my ass off.

Of course. That's the whole "cost of living" thing. My point is that you should count on this. Some people believe they'll continue to earn the same regardless of location. I don't think that is a safe bet and one should plan accordingly.

From a few I know, those staying in the state are keeping their salaries. Those moving may have adjustments. It's one reason people from the Bay area are streaming down to San Diego. Better lifestyle and (relative) bargain prices.

I know nothing at all about living in New Hampshire. Having moved from metro to somewhat rural elsewhere, I would say give some good consideration and do extensive research regarding schools/community education opportunities depending on what your kids are into. e.g. The schools may have great ratings, but no access to STEM related activities. Obviously, needs and opportunities in this area would be unique to every family and community.

When i was working for the military in the 90s, I used to travel to NH because Raytheon is up there. I thought it was really nice up there. Not a fan of the winter though.

Lived in the Finger Lakes area in NY growing up.
Beautiful in the summer, not a fan of the winters either.
But...if you have children...it’s a step up...in the right area.

Back
Top Bottom